August 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 30, 2019.

?

Will you be using Adjustables and/or Arko for August??

1. Yep. Adjustables and Arko both!!

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Adjustables yes - Arko no.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Arko yes - Adjustables no.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Some of both, some of other stuff.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Still just here for cookies and ice cream.

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  6. Straights - because they re the original adjustable.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir..

Norcalnewb, Hembree, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i do cold water shaves on hot days..luke warm on the colder ones..always a cold water final rinse ..:)

3. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..glad you are enjoying it..nice razor..

Norcalnewb, McCrae, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

very cool shave sir..love the brush..

Norcalnewb, Hembree, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

stay safe sir..

6. brit

brit in a box

fine shave Rick..

7. brit

brit in a box

lovely shave sir..

8. brit

brit in a box

fantastic shave Patrick..

Norcalnewb, Hembree, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

In expanding the field of knowledge we but increase the horizon of ignorance. - Henry Miller. Used to be a person could know everything about a particular subject. Experts, right? Those were the days.
    Best teaching tool in shaving. An alum block with let you know fast where you've used too much pressure or a bad angle.
    wall of text.jpg
    Same, here. My dad had me for the last two days. His B-day is Saturday. I might get a little time off tomorrow while the grandkids are at school.

NCoxSTL, Norcalnewb, McCrae and 12 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Clint. I've been sipping Mountain Dew, not diet and straight up no ice. Caffeine & sugar may not be any safer than an adult beverage. I did score.
    Thank you Perry!
    Thanks Jim!
    Thanks Danny! Had a discussion with my grand daughters about nick names. No one calls me Ricky since dad's mom passed.
    Thanks Joe! I think I got a deal, but I'll need to run it past Charlie @wristwatchb to be sure. I'm thinking 54% off retail is a win.
    Thank you Gary!
    Keith - any soaps that you've found don't like cool/cold water?
    We've all got secrets...

Norcalnewb, Hembree, 9nein9 and 9 others like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Just received a care package from Russia, Alex @AlDm sent me a package from Russia. In addition to the Russian blades he included two Russian creams and a box made out of birch wood and a wooden spoon. I will take a better picture of the box tomorrow and watch for the creams in upcoming shaves. A very nice gesture from our member in Siberia.

IMG_7143.jpg

NCoxSTL, AlDm, Norcalnewb and 12 others like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

So far only one stands out as not liking cold water, Queen Charlottes Soaps cream. Ironically, it is the best performer in very hot water. Sadly they no longer are in business.

13. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Rick, I definitely would say that is a win!

14. Trigger

It's cool, my friend!

15. Trigger

That's very nice of your friend. I would have added a DVD of the James Bond movie, From Russia, With Love to make a nice finish to the gift. Perhaps, a DVD of this movie is nonexistent. Anyway, enjoy your gifts, Keith!

Norcalnewb, Hembree, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

I feel good about it. Just don't tell Charlie @wristwatchb I bought a "used" watch. I'm all up in vintage blade holders and can't help myself when shopping for a deal.

Norcalnewb, Hembree, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  17. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

11/30

Cool runnings today.
    Not cold water, but tepid.

DFS+

I usually rinse my face between each pass. In doing so i don't dry off before lathering up for the next pass. This has a benefit of progressively thining the lather which suits me as i feel that you need to dial down the cushion on the soap as you near the end of the shave. I had a great lather today on the 1st pass but on the second pass, the residual water on my face from rinsing knocked the lather on its arse. I had to go back to the puck to get it back.

On touch ups, i am noticing that the slickness with this soap is just not there unless you have full lather. My better soaps keep the slickness regardless. This causes drag and tugging. I read other uses have this issue and with a more aggressive razor, nicks and weepers are common.

I am hitting a ceiling with progress with this set up. I feel i have done what i can to get the best out of it.
    Time then to shift my focus from the equipment and onto my technique....

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

You have arrived Sir! That's The 30 Day discussion in a nutshell. Early on there are epiphany moments when you suddenly make a leap in shave quality. Learning to live with a DFS and no irritation instead of chasing The Baby. Getting your lather figured out so it gives all the right qualities. All that beard mapping, skin stretching, no pressure stuff. The learning curve flattens out and you hit a plateau. That's OK. Time to fine tune, make small adjustments, enjoy your shaves. Or try something different like a SE, a mild or aggressive DE, a shavette or straight razor. All the learning can apply to any style.

Keithmax, Norcalnewb, Trigger and 9 others like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Very nice Patrick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9nein9, Norcalnewb, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

nice looking watch sir,Charlie will be proud..:)

Norcalnewb, Trigger, Hembree and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.