September 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 30, 2019.

?

It's Stirling SEptember. Whatcha got planned??

1. Gonna use some great vintage single edge gear and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Gonna use a modern single edge or two and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Gonna mix it up with all kinds of single edges and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Gonna use whatever I feel like because hey, it's my shave so I'll enjoy it my way!! Duh!!

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  5. Straights baby, because I'm just that doggone good. Duh!!

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  6. Some SE's, some DE's, some other stuff, maybe Stirling, maybe not. Who knows?! Duh!!

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  7. Cookies and ice cream. That's all I'm here for. Stop hounding me to shave!!!!! Duh!!

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The End of Summer! But not of great shaves!!

The Cartel welcomes you to the September 2019 edition of the 30 Day Rule and Focus thread. August was a lot of fun as usual, and we saw a number of new members join our little band to begin their evolution into experts! We also set a new record for the number of posts in a month!!!! Over 400 pages! No wonder it seems busy. I appreciate everyone who shares their knowledge and experience and helps make this the most welcoming, knowledgeable, and definitely entertaining group on the web. But school’s back, the days are noticeably shorter and, well, it’s September. That means Labor Day weekend right on top of us, then settling into the routine of autumn. It also means it’s SEptember!!! Single Edge September has arrived and it’s the month we dig into our dens for the Gems, Schicks and all other single edge razors in the collection. Of course, shavettes would qualify as well along with Artist Club and…..the original single edge…..those traditional straights!! For those of you who don’t own a single edge razor now’s the time to find your first! Or, just grab whatever razor you want to get better with and run that Rule or Focus!

In addition to the SE razor theme, it’s also Stirling September! Pair those SE razors with your favorite Stirling soaps, aftershaves etc. to make it an even more enjoyable month. Never tried Stirling soaps? Now’s the time. It’s a great month to get some samples and figure out a new favorite or two, whether you’re new to Stirling or an old confirmed Stirling lover! Of course and as always, themes are suggestions only and are NOT required as part of the month’s festivities. You’re totally free to grab whatever you want and join in. We’re focused on improving technique first of all, and all the rest is just added pleasure.

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! Jump in and let the friendliest and most knowledgeable bunch of people you'll ever meet help you along. Ask questions, show us your gear. There's nothing about shaving we don't like to see and hear. Even if you are just starting with a VDH razor and soap, we value you along with everyone else and we want you to become a part of this great community. It won't take long for the enablers within each of us to have you loaded down with razors, soaps, cremes, brushes and enough blades to sink the Titanic. Including the chunk of wood that Leo could have fit on with Rose.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique that provides the basis for the use of the 30 Day Focus to sharpen skills and develop new skills altogether. Our quest is, as always, to be able to develop technique so solid and strong that we can overcome any tools that may be at hand. The great overarching philosophy is "Technique Trumps Tools." The only caveat....."unless the tools are defective." One can't use a broken blade or a razor that won't lock the blade down and expect success.

My personal mission has always been to push the limits of the tools, and my skills, to find out what, if anything, is defective. Most of you have remained sane and found instead new and wonderful ways to shave. Some, perhaps unfortunately, have followed my lead lately, but hey, no pain no gain. At the same time, practice makes perfect, and we have already learned how bad equipment can be and still produce a great shave with proper technique.

Now, on to the facts in the words of the one, the only, @Bama Samurai : (Please rise) (Take off your hats) (Seriously, do I have to mention pay attention?) (Ok, be good and we’ll hand out extra cookies)

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out.

Rules are the same people.
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome. (Maybe I should phrase that “experienced” members)
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. You may not say anything negative about Russian blades, especially Voskhod. The Cartel is listening.

7. Don't think we don't hear when you badmouth Rapira either. We're vodka loving wannabe Russians, not blithering idiots. Well, ok so sometimes.....and Ivan.....well you get the idea.

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to Stirling SEptember! So first things first.....group hug………and off we go!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

Mike-R41, Screwtape, 9nein9 and 13 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

hello gentlemen..i plan to have a "simple "september..but with stirling ,a sheraton and couple of other surprises..cheers..:eatdrink047:

Terry, 9nein9, Keithmax and 10 others like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I am certainly in! Stirling SEptember is probably my favorite month of the 30DC. Injectors and SEs all the way with decadent and fragrant lathers and splashes.....how could it not be great?

Looking forward to it as always.

4. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I will only be using my Stirling Soaps, but I will also be using only safety DE razors because I am calling it Safety September. It is the first month of kids getting back to school and we need to watch them getting off the bus as we stop behind the bus.

Terry, 9nein9, Keithmax and 12 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..now i am definitely in..:)

Terry, wristwatchb, 9nein9 and 8 others like this.
  6. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

This is going to be my "first" foray into the "30 day" thing.

I, like "brit" will be following the simple route. All I have right now is my "Harry's Truman" cartridge razor. I'll be using my recently purchased "The Cowboy" soap from Old Town Soap Co with an Omega 48 brush and Aqua Velva Musk, unless I can lay hands on one, or the other, of the great leather scent AS folks have suggested on another thread. Looking forward to this experience.

Terry, Hembree, wristwatchb and 14 others like this.
  7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Terry, Hembree, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in!
    Stirling/SEptember is a go for me.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Terry, wristwatchb, Hembree and 10 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome aboard.

Terry, Hembree, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am in for September. SE razors, Synthetic Brushes, Shave Sticks or Shave Cream.

Terry, wristwatchb, Hembree and 11 others like this.
  11. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Half-in Half out. :confused:

I shall continue my 30 shave sojourn into September. (Currently 12/30)

Terry, wristwatchb, Hembree and 9 others like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Straights are single edge...check.
    I have 4 Stirling soaps...check.
    I like cookies and ice cream...meh. (I am more of a salty guy)
    Looks like Primo's in!
    BTW, I'll be blooming my soaps as necessary...duh!

Terry, wristwatchb, Hembree and 13 others like this.
  13. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Just bought a ton of samples from Maggards, so this is “Sample September” for me. I’m still zeroing in on the brands I want to make deeper investments in. So many choices!

I’ve already spent a lot on Stirling this past year. It was largely a Stirling Summer for me, so this month I’m going deeper into B&M and Wholly Kaw soaps, to see if one stands out from the other.

Gonna finally break out the mid-50’s Super Speed as well. Shine her up and turn her loose. Super Speed September? That sounds kinda bad ass.

:transport016:

May go all in on Feather blades this month too. :duel:

Shave on Brothers!

Terry, wristwatchb, Hembree and 13 others like this.
  14. PLAla

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you.

Hembree, 9nein9, RyX and 4 others like this.
  15. PLAla

Welcome! Sounds like a great plan.

16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great plan for the month!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to the thread!

18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'll be around this month, but it looks like I may be on the move quite a bit. I'll fit some SE razors in when I can, and there will be some Stirling shaves, but it may be a Unfocused Focus for me.

Terry, wristwatchb, Hembree and 9 others like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

awesome sir ,welcome to the show..:)

20. brit

brit in a box

awesome..:)

Terry, Hembree, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.