August 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 30, 2019.

?

Will you be using Adjustables and/or Arko for August??

1. Yep. Adjustables and Arko both!!

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Adjustables yes - Arko no.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Arko yes - Adjustables no.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Some of both, some of other stuff.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Still just here for cookies and ice cream.

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  6. Straights - because they re the original adjustable.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Wonderful shave and picture, Jim!

Nice choice! Looks mighty yummy.

Thanks, Paul!

Thanks, Gary!

Norcalnewb, clint64, jluc and 4 others like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

All the time!

brit, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

AWESOMENESSLY Neal and hope things great dried out!

NCoxSTL, brit, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  4. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Thanks for the kind words.

In explaination;

With regards to @clint64 and his accusations of trolling. I found that most unfair tbh. I am a strong anti-bloomer. Look at my Sig. This isn't the first time i have crossed that bridge.

I set out on this 30 day sojourn to learn about the equipment and improve my technique. I feel blooming is inherently wrong. That is just my opinion and i am entitled to it. I tried it, not for me. Good advise is given freely and one should be offended if the receiver doesn't use it. I am not a Troll. Free discussion is not trolling.

With regards to @Primotenore and any offence at my comment that blooming is "cheating", well , to me and in relation to my 30 day focus, it is. Perhaps cheating is not the best phrase to use. A "short cut" or a"short circuit" of the process may be better, but in any event, as you say, my shave-my way. I have my bloomers cert from @Primotenore anyway so he can prise it from my cold dead hands lol.

As for your offense, non was meant. I am European and i oft find that my culture can jar with others. I bow to your superiority on acedemic matters of the universe. My last thermodynamics class was 25 years ago and i was possible half stoned at that lol.

As an olive branch to you, @clint64 and @Primotenore , please enjoy one of the finest short stories on Entropy by one of the finest science writer of all time:

Peace.

jtspartan, Edison Carter, RyX and 8 others like this.
  5. BlueShaver

12/30

New blade #3

Well after yesterdays emotion, i made a change. Just the one mind.

I switched out the brush for my Omega 10019. A medium Boar.

No blooming.

The difference was instant. After a 30sec soak, i flicked the water out of the brush and went to the dry puck. No mess, no mounds of lather, no trouble. The brush loaded fantastically. I had a great proto-lather in no time for my face lathering.
    The lather was much better as well. Not over or under hydrated. No over-cushion or low slickness and the lather didn't die on its arse on the following passes. I had more than enough for 3 passes. This is the brush after #3

[​IMG]

As usual with soap issues, improper loading can cause many ills. This has also reinforced my anti-blooming belief. There is no need to bloom this hard puck. You just have to use the correct brush. My 404 wasn't that brush. In not blooming, my puck is not a soggy mess, doesn't need drying out and will last much longer. All good.

I had the best shave yet. BBS-
    I need to focus on technique now, in particular, the number and direction of passes.

Onwards and upwards.

AlDm, Trigger, RyX and 8 others like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Nice, Neal. Terrific Toggle.

Trigger, RyX, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Ok guys....
    The allergy meds make it hard to start the old engine. No way am I gonna get through all of the posts. Thanks to all who seen my ramblings and replyed. I can occasionally get in to comment on some things. I am out of my corner, not sure about Danny @Hembree. :D
    Went with a different path on the soap today, some Razorock Lime. Makes good lather, wonderful slickness and a nice sent. Mixed well with the Stirling.
    20190831_065045.jpg
    Used another Slim that I picked up yesterday. A new Feather blade, Slim on 9. Trying to use only one blade per shave, see how that works out. 2 passes head and face, no issues.
    Nice, clean and smooth ready for a day, off.
    :)
    All
    Enjoy
    Till September....
    Over 8000 posts???? WoW! :happy096:
    tp

AlDm, Trigger, RyX and 12 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Ver nice Terry. Congrats on the new Slim

Trigger, RyX, Terry and 5 others like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Done.

That is funny.

The scales came out fantastic.

Congratulations, that’s wonderful news.

Frijolero, b1hart, Trigger and 9 others like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Gary!

Trigger, Hembree, brit and 3 others like this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Perry!

Trigger, Hembree, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Nice shave and congrats on getting a good lather with the soap.

Trigger, RyX, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
  13. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Terry!

Trigger, RyX, Terry and 5 others like this.
  14. BlueShaver

Thanks.

I really did get a good lather to shave with. After two weeks of struggling it was a welcome break in the clouds :)

Keithmax, Trigger, RyX and 6 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Good discussion, and I'm sure you'll figure out something that works for you. That's why we all came here. :)

Couple of things to consider...

It stands to reason that you could load even a very hard soap with a very soft brush. You may just have to load longer. In that case, it comes down to the the time you're willing to spend loading the brush.

And this basic "rule" must be always observed -- Soap + Water = Lather. You'll need to add a certain amount of water to get an acceptable lather...whatever way you decide to add it. I have found that it's worth spending the time to experiment with soap hydration (and every soap is a bit different) as that vastly improves the quality of the lather in my experience.

You can never go wrong loading more soap than you need. Soap is cheap, and I don't want to risk getting a bad shave.

If you find yourself at wit's end with the Cade (or any) soap, remove it from the container, shape it into something that fits your hand, and literally rub the soap puck on your wet face until you get a nice visible coating. You're simply using it like a shave stick. Alternatively, you can grate the soap and press it into a shave stick container. Go into a face lather at that point. You'll see an immediate improvement in the lather, regardless of the brush you use, and it's actually a fairly quick method if time's an issue.

You'll get there...in fact, you're making great progress. Keep us posted. :)

b1hart, Keithmax, Trigger and 13 others like this.
  16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

August 31st
    Razor: Gillette Fatboy E4
    Blade: Bolzano Superinox (4)
    Brush: Grizzly Bay Constitution
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: Arko shave stick
    PAA Galactic witch hazel
    PAA unscented Star Jelly
    AS: Fine American Blend

Adjustable/Arko August

Good morning!

Excellent shave to start the day and end the month! Three passes for near BBS.

Been a great month of shaves! Rotated through all my adjustable razors and got several Arko shaves in as well. I didn't completely stay on theme this month and I'm sure I won't next month but I will have fun joining in!

Entertaining end to this month. To bloom or not to bloom? Your shave your way.

I will say if you put ketchup on your hot dog or order pizza with chicken on it you are all kinds of wrong!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AlDm, b1hart, Keithmax and 12 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

congrats..great shave..

Trigger, RyX, BlueShaver and 5 others like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

Trigger, RyX, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Gary!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Trigger, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Luke_Sky7.jpg
    Is anyone else wondering how long it will take our Double Jedi Knight to change his avatar? ;)

Keithmax, Trigger, RyX and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.