Best 1k ceramic stone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Suhrim21, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

What is the best 1k or so ceramic stone for setting bevels. I know there are good stones that are not ceramic but I am really wanting ceramic.

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Imo, can’t go wrong with a Norton.

Billyfergie and RezDog like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Stay away from King 1k, unless you have a lot of time on your hand.

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. Suhrim21

This is the exact reason I'm asking this question. I have the king 1k/6k combo. The 6k works well the 1k doesn't work much at all.

Does Norton have a 1k ceramic?

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have a Norton 220/1000. Works great. The 220 removes steel quickly, when repair work has been done, or when small imperfections need to be removed, quickly.

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Uhm, I wouldn’t have suggested a Norton, if they didn’t make one.

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The Chosera/Professional 1k by Naniwa is the best I have used to date

Bevel setting is really important for me so I am always searching for the most effective

Be careful here NOTE I said effective not the fastest
    Fastest would be a Diamond plate or a lower grit Chosera but Ripping the crap out of the bevel when not needed actually creates more work that you have to correct, and is only advised for Restoration and a different technique..

I haven't found a faster 1k that leaves such a smooth surface to date, part of that is the Density of the Grit particles, when all things are of equal size "1K" if there are more of them per Sq Inch it cuts faster but more shallow into the steel...

Keep in mind that MANY of my earlier vids were done using the King 1k because for $25 it is a Slow cutter but leaves a VERY smooth surface on the bevel face, I just wanted to show you don't need to spend $$$ to do it right

8. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

I used a King for a long time but it dishes easily sonIngot a Shapton.

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

My normal bevel setter is either a 2k Shapton Glass HR or a 4k Shapton Glass HR.

10. Suhrim21

Is the Shapton m15 1k any good?

Billyfergie likes this.
  11. Suhrim21

Thank you for this info. I will be looking into that stone once I'm back on my feet. I have a Shapton m15 on the way due to the low price. Can't complain it's a bday gift. Now curious if it is good or not. I'm assuming it's going to be better than the king I currently have.

12. Steveclarkus

I don’t know about the m15 but have a Shapton Kuromaku 1k that is quite good. Same stone as the Pro but for the Japanese market. Also have same in 5k and 8k. 12k is a Nani.

13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The M15 looks interesting. It appears to be a Pro on a wooden stand. I think the Kuromaku/Pro at Chefs Knives to Go is a little cheaper and the ventilated storage box also serves as a stand. Having the stone affixed to the wooden stand would supposedly help prevent warping and allow the full thickness of the stone to be used. The wood will look rather bad over time if not finished or waxed, but it is something out of the ordinary.

The older M5 and M7 series were 5mm and 7mm of abrasive respectively and were affixed to a ceramic base - they were the predecessor to the Glass stones and had a reputation for being soft.

14. Suhrim21

I have the m5 12k. I thought I was getting a great deal on a 12k for 28 bucks. Until I realized 3/4 of the stone can't be used. But still it does work good. While I still can't get a razor from bevel to finish I can take a blade that was shave ready and touch up the edge and bring it back to being just as good as the day I received it with the m5 12k. Have not been able to do that yet with my jnat. Hence why I have been selling all of them but one. I have not given up on using natural Stone. Just need to get the other stones to work to do bevel to finish. After I know I can at least hone a razor from start to finish then I will work on learning new finishing stones.

My father got me a Shapton 1k stone for my birthday Wed. Im posting the link to it. Is this one decent for a 1k. I got to choose from this one or the m15. I just felt this one might me a bit better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TPFT0G/?tag=thshde-20

Steve56, Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use a Naniwa 1k or Shapton glass 4K for bevel setting. Depends how much steel I think I need to remove.

16. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Och Aye the Noo...The Chosera/Professional 1k by Naniwa is a Fantastic Bevel Setter..Thats Where Most of the Work is Done & its a Great Stone..Leaves a Real Polished Finish as Glen Said..:)

Billy..:chores016:

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That’s a great 1k stone, I have the 2k, 5k, and 8k versions. It’s the same stone as a Shapton Pro, and it appears to be the same series as the M15, the M15 having a wooden base. Wooden bases are popular in Japan with natural stones.

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  18. Steveclarkus

I have three of the Kuromako stones, 1k, 5k and 8k and they are excellent. This is the same stone as the “Pro” series at a lower price as it was for the Japanese market (supposedly because of the higher humidity climate). The ventilated boxes serve well as hone stands. My 12k Naniwa also uses the same box and they work well. I believe you will enjoy the stone as I do. I follow the 12k with a diamond pasted balsa progression and get superb edges. The plastic boxes provide very effective protective enclosures and are made to stack.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Steve56 like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

+1 @Steveclarkus - tip: don’t throw away that piece of foam in the box that Shapton tells you to throw away. If you ever travel with or ship them, well that’s what the foam is for, to keep them from rattling around.

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  20. Steveclarkus

Thanks for the tip. Fortunately I don’t travel with them. I used to take a pasted balsa with me but have since settled for a shavette. I do believe I staged the foam strips though.