COOPER RAZOR OWNERS CLUB (CRC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Herm2502, Jan 4, 2018.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Go figure, the old 3 piece is my favorite of all of them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

gorgo2, brit and Linuxguile like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Kant Rust 3pc adjustable. Even though the picture shows it at its mildest setting, after about a couple of swipes I decided it was too mild for my liking and shaved with it on the next setting up. Razor at this setting shaves like a cross between the Coopersol and the Kant Rust 3pc non adjustable. Closeness was somewhere between both also for the way I shave. Tomorrow I'll open it up all the way and then my final thoughts on all 5 of these razors.

coope1.jpg coope2.jpg

gorgo2, brit, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Kant Rust 3pc adjustable opened fully up. This razor is still what I would term mild but performed pretty well, best shave of the bunch that isn't a Monobilt.

coope1.jpg coope3.jpg

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Finally tally, Monobilt is the clear winner in terms of performance, The 3pc that requires the modified blade is the worst of the lot from a performance standpoint.

The Coopersol just reminds me right down to the feel of the shave and performance of a Gillette 3pc pre war Tech. It is like the same exact razor in a different package.

The Kant Rust is like a post war Tech before there was a post war Tech since these came out at least as early as circa 43-44. It is also a bit smoother of a shave. This razor is a text book example for safe ty in a razor. This has to be one of the easiest DE razor I've ever used. What it lacks performance wise it makes up for the fact you could roll out of bed and shave with this razor without any cream half asleep, not cut yourself and still wind up with no irritation passable shave for something this mild.

The Kant Rust adjustable, while the best performer that isn't a Monobilt, degrees of mild is largely not a useful feature for an adjustable. The idea is good especially the way it adjusts using a flexible metal spacer but the execution isn't. If they had figured out how to make head geometry so it went from mild to wild this razor would be a much better adjustable.

jmudrick, gorgo2, Terry and 2 others like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I don't find the geometry of any of the Coopers makes for an exceptional shaver, the CooperSol and KantRust being particularly inefficient. The mild Stahly (1941) will shave the pants off the Kant Rust. Like I said I favor the three piece over the Monobilt, both being adequate in their efficiency if neither is spectacular despite the undeniably cool Monobilt design. Not sure why the three piece was such a fail for you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    gorgo2, Terry and brit like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I don't find any of them exceptional either. The Monobilt wouldn't make my top tier of razors from a performance standpoint but certain tools are better for certain tasks and these razors are really good when you need a drama free shave with what I consider an acceptable closeness of shave for me. Having used a enough different DE razors they all come with trade offs depending what you weight as most important in a shave.

gorgo2, Terry, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think that's exactly why the Monobilt is a top tier razor for me. As you said, a drama free close enough shave. It's a two pass razor for me.

It's also the first razor that made me stop and think, "Ok, chrome plating on a razor isn't necessarily a bad thing."

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD July 1st
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    EDRIO# 87 Cooper MonoBilt #2
    Sharp Star
    Grizzly Bay Wraith (26mm TnS Tip Knot, Frigate Class)
    Stirling Ramblin' Man soap and AS

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

brit, PLANofMAN, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm the same way with the Clix EZ Flo. For DEs, I'm now down to that (on a matching Cooper handle) and the Senator. Everything else went in The Box.

jmudrick and brit like this.
  10. richdad

richdad Active Member

I didn't know where to put this but since I don't have posting privileges on bst I would like to let the club know that I would like to sell my Cooper 3 piece.
    Sorry if this is the wrong place but I feel someone here might enjoy it.
    $25 plus $7 for expedited shipping
    It looks like this. You can pm me if interested. Thanks

Attached Files:

Linuxguile likes this.
  11. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I spotted this Cooper Bakelite stand on the Bay the other day. First time I've ever seen one of these. Unfortunately they don't seem to have a Cooper to go with it. Actually looking at it closer, maybe they do have the Cooper Razor, and just are not showing the markings and details of the Razor...

cooper.jpg cooper2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  12. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

13. brit

brit in a box

it's here and it's a beauty.. 20190903_193819.jpg

Herm2502, jtspartan, Angelo85 and 3 others like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on the shave. Most people who have one, put the MonoBilt in their top 3 razors. (At least I do :)).

Edit: saw your sotd post. It shouldn't have a wave in it. The one bad thing about these razors is that they are prone to having bent heads from drops. The good news is that they can be straightened out fairly easily. The head does unscrew from the handle. (That doesn't mean that your razor has that problem, but if it does, it's an easy fix).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  15. brit

brit in a box

with the first test drive i was really checking out the blade in the razor..looked like a slight wave in the edge..but straight..i was really careful and got a nice shave from it..very audible and lots of blade feel..will take me a little to dial it in..the design is just plain cool..:)

16. brit

brit in a box

do cooper blades have a larger center hole? the center pin doesn't go all the way through the modern blade hole causing the blade to pucker around the hole and create a wave in the middle of the blade on both sides.the cap itself is straight.. checked with machinists ruler..

BBS and Linuxguile like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

20190903_190234_edited.jpg
    04/09/19--a fine shave indeed..took my time on the first go..very audible with blade feel..will take a little to dial it in..dfs

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The older proprietary cutout blades that would have been produced when this razor was sold did to fit the 3 pc open comb razors. You can widen that hole up easily using one of those dremel or equivalent rotary tools with a cone stone attachment. Whether it makes a difference in how the razor shaves I don't think it will if for each stroke if you slightly overlap the previous one on each pass. Opening the center hole won't affect the blade alignment just the clearance for that one hole.

brit likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Once you have it dialed in the razor has some adjustment to it. You can get some more blade gap if you don't tightened the cap down all the way. If you press on the cap and it has no play even when not fully tightened it is okay to shave with. If it does have a little play then it is too loose.

brit likes this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Center pin? On the MonoBilt? Mine has a ball arrangement, looks a bit like an upside down chess pawn. It fits easily in modern blades.

brit likes this.