The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

E0201D3F-508B-44A3-8AD8-36DB65336844.jpeg

You could, and I might but good ivory (if it is good) is something that I’d put a better razor in. Doesn’t mean the original blade gets trashed. The crack is fairly significant.

2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Truly beautiful scales Steve!
    Any thoughts on which blade may get to wear those?

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

3DC5183F-09EA-4133-BBFC-BD879C011121.jpeg

Hi Tom,

I’m in no hurry but my old swayback hollow Wosty shaves like a dream and is the right vintage. Original pressed horn scales but with some bug bites. I like the feel of these scales though, very nicely proportioned so I kind of hesitate to mess with it. Possibly a swap with a fancy Grelot or Jaguar that I have. Or just wait a while for something nice to turn up, patience is a virtue they say.

Timwcic, Keithmax, RezDog and 6 others like this.
  4. TestDepth

I do like those scales on the Wosty, really goes nice with the blade.

You have some cool options Steve. Can’t really go wrong with any of those.

5. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

So my mother's bday gift came in the mail today one day early. Diamond Hyashi 8000

20190903_163327_compress21.jpg

6. TestDepth

That is a wonderful birthday gift!!!
    Congratulations.

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  7. Suhrim21

Thanks. I also want to get the diamond hyashi 9000.

8. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Happy birthday Suhrim.

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Great pickup, some excellent steel there, very hard steel. Looking forward the shave report.

I never went wrong with a Jwest razor, very nice.

Just :love055: and happy birthday

10. Suhrim21

Thanks

Thank you

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  11. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Keith, thanks! I shaved with these razors during the last week of Aug. They were SR shave #101 and #102. They gave me awesome shaves. They were beyond shave ready and paid under $30 a piece. I have bought beautiful, shave ready razors on Ebay, but these were my best pickups.

12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

0D809DA4-3E88-4AD6-A482-C91089040C0B.jpeg

The cracked W&B arrived yesterday, the eBay description was accurate. The scales are thin ivory and the blade is salvageable though well, cracked. Shame, I like those old English swayback hollows. Scales need cleaning but other than that they’re sound.

It’s been repinned, the pivot pin is brass and the wedge pin is nickle silver, so I’m thinking the scales are not original to this razor. Scales this straight with 1/2 round ends are usually like mid 1800s, yet most of the hollow English swaybacks appear to be later, longer monkey tails and even plastic scales. Anyone know the dates for the W&B arrow and cross stamp?

Keithmax, brit, Billyfergie and 5 others like this.
  13. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

A nice “little” monkey tail score. A William H.De Pew “The Perfect Razor". I first thought it was a corn or mustache razor. Research tell me that this is the actual size. A 2 inch, 5/8, 1/2 hollow shaver with a French tip.

DED6FC4E-E25F-43EE-85E4-FB47F0D68D7D.jpeg 7EA30221-A481-46FD-8DB9-E5DBA18CA00D.jpeg 0F31E26F-90D8-4BE2-9709-F5572F6F72AE.jpeg

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

1D0FAE17-6796-46EF-A28C-C77448EE27B5.jpeg

Picked this one up for $21 delivered. Can it be? Blade’s kind of funky with the large advertising stamp, but the scales seem nice...

15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Waiting on this Factory Fresh NOS Henckels Twin Works Solingen Stainless Steel 6/8th Arriving from German Ebay..Got it for a Decent Price..£54.00 Posted..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Keithmax, RezDog, brit and 5 others like this.
  16. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

If it is the same, I saw that one at auction. Congratulations. I have a Wade and Butcher "Improved Tang" that has the extended tang length. Not sure why a long tang is an improvement, but its a beauty as is yours.

17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Gold Dollar
    W59

I bought it, on a whim, for around $14. I ended up, getting it for free. The seller said he made a mistake in the paperwork, and forgot to ship it. It was delayed. I just asked for a tracking number, and he said oops, and sent one for free, refunding the money. I didn't ask for a refund, but he said it was his fault. Came from Taiwan.
    It was near shave ready, from the box. I will strop it good, and see where it is at.

P9091154.JPG

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  18. DaltonGang

Simmon's Hardware Co.
    "Barbers Pet No 421"
    Manufacture: St. Louis, MO USA
    13/16th inch Extra Hollow Ground

This is full of patina. I kind of like it. It only cost $5.50, because it tagged along with the next razor I am listing. It appears to be sound, but patina can be tricky, especially around the bevel. But, there is plenty of blade to work with., and the spine has seen little use.

P9091152.JPG

19. DaltonGang

C-MON
    Carl Monkhouse
    Ellicottville NY
    6/8+ inches

I like these razors. It had a tiny chip on the blade, that is easily fixed. It should retain around 6/8th in when fixed.. There was almost no wear to the spine. At a tad over $18, it was a little more than I usually splurge.

P9091153.JPG

RezDog, AGHisBBS, Steve56 and 4 others like this.
  20. Suhrim21

Did you just get that off of the bay. I was bidding on the exact razor and had mine topped out at 15

Steve56, DaltonGang and Keithmax like this.