Jr but no Baby

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jabez 58, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi everyone, I'm stepping up a gear coming into the straight edge big boys forum!
    Being a DE man...well so far ( it depends on how you classify Rolls Razors )

This weekend I picked up some nice DE's that came as a job lot with a boxed Bismarck razor
    However this is a Bismarck Jr ??
    I can find a fair bit about bismarcks but so far nothing about Jr's?
    Does anyone have any info at all on Bismark Jr??
    It's certainly not a small size boys razor
    The blade is engraved / etched with SPECIALLY FOR BARBERS
    the tang has Bismarck Jr. on one side and Made in Germany Solingen on the other,
    the scales on one side has Bismarck Jr registered inlayed on it
    The dark green box is printed Bismark jr. Made in Germany
    Hopefully I can up load some puctures.
    As I say if anyone can tell me anything about this razor I would be most greatful
    Gra.

2. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Title should be Jr but no Baby
    Hey ho fat finger syndrome :angry019:
    Gra

Billyfergie, Keithmax and Steve56 like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

very nice looking razor. But, you need to replace that one scale that is broken. It is at the critical pivot area, and the blade will not work safely, in that shape.

Billyfergie and Steve56 like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

:signs011:

5. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Yeah, oops I've already learnt that as the blade just swings open or closed regardless of your fingers being in the way :angry019:!!!!
    The blade is really sharp and although I've never used a straight razor before if I can fix this then I will go for it.
    I use a a Rolls razor which is short open blade and I love that.
    Didn't intend to buy a straight it was just bundled with the others I wanted, so a lucky win win for £10 for the lot.
    Just can't find another Bismarck Jr razor or anything about them
    The Bismarck brand name was bought by Dovo in 1957 thought Bismarck hadn't produced any blades since before ww2 :sick002:
    If anyone has any info re B Jr's I would love to know :happy108:
    Gra

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  6. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Yep found that out very quickly

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Keithmax likes this.
  8. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Done. Results of Fat Finger Syndrome rectified.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    This is just a guess...but jr. might refer to a thinner/edging type blade. If the standard size is 7/8" the jr. might be a 5/8" blade.

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Fix the scales and you will have a fine razor there. Welcome to the Dark Side.

Billyfergie likes this.
  11. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

I would suggest having a pro put scales on that razor. The original Bismarck’s are superb razors and deserve a proper suit. I shaved with one this morning.

12. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Many thanks for the change

Billyfergie and americanshamrock like this.
  13. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

image.jpeg
    Goodness knows, I wondered if the "specially for barbers" etched on the blade has something to do with it?
    The blade as far as I see is 6/8 see pic.
    Whatever it's a nice one not that I'm really qualified to judge it is really sharp as is so should work out well and I'm happy to fully turn to the dark side and go for it ha ha first job get the scales sorted. But I'm gearing myself up for my first real blood letting!!

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  14. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

So far I've only seen good things said about Bismarcks apart from I think is it the specials ?
    It's a nice size, hand fit and weight so really looking forward to getting to try it.

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If it starts to pull hard, stop. it isn't sharp enough. If sharp, watch the tip, and go slow. Cheeks only, for the first couple of times, until you are comfortable.

my suggestion would be to send it to @gssixgun , and have the scale replaced, and the blade properly sharpened.

Billyfergie and americanshamrock like this.
  16. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

No worries.

I'd heartily second the recommendation of Glen as his work is phenomenal. However, seeing as you are in Wales perhaps fellow Denizen Welshman @Jamie Mahoney or fellow Denizen Scot @Billyfergie might know of a meister restorer/honer closer to your home.

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

DF905E42-6AF7-41D0-9ABA-71B5142C35C1.jpeg

+1 - a well-ground Bismarck (not a sure thing these days) is a fine razor indeed, and usually comes in chunky scales that detract from the razor. Especially the cheaper scales with the large ‘not-a-wedge’ pin and untapered scales. Don’t throw them away though, the rather crudely made scales with a spacer vs wedge can still improve a Gold Dollar!

Jabez 58, brit and Billyfergie like this.
  18. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

I have light clear scales from a Dubl Duck and balances well. The pre Dovo Bismarck, which I believe is the one are discussing, is a superb razor well worth restoring. I am no fan of Dovo BTW.

Jabez 58 likes this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I have light no-so-clear scales from a Wosty, lol, funny how we both did a scale swap that improved the razor quite a lot. I like the Bismarck, but have trouble buying 2-3 to get one that’s evenly ground. Dovo (and modern TI) really make you appreciate Japanese razors.

My Dovo Pallisander swapped out to Wosty scales

433A9164-F3C3-4935-BF9A-A5C6FFBE7FA3.jpeg

brit, TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  20. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Many thanks for the recommendations, I would like to get this back up and running, general opinion seems to be it's a razor worth the effort
    Gra

brit likes this.