What Did You Learn From Your Shave Today?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Carson West, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

I've learned that I get the best results by shaving every 36 hours. So if I shave Monday evening, I wait until Wednesday morning to shave again, then Friday evening, etc. If I instead shave every 24 hours, my skin doesn't have enough time to completely rejuvenate after each one, and irritation accumulates.

And after experimenting for a year and a half with different razor blades, I've concluded that German Wilkinson Sword blades are perfect for me. I'll now look for others that perform as well, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Shaver X, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  2. Carson West

Through a lot of experimentation, I've realized that the best angle for me to hold any razor is obtained by bridging the gap between cap and blade, "riding the cap." That angle always shaves efficiently, but with minimal irritation.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Shaver X, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

With my shave this morning, and a little reflection afterwards, I learned a lot.

I learned that, with my few shaving tools and supplies, I have found everything I need to consistently get close, comfortable, luxurious, affordable shaves.

I have also learned that there is little point in trying new wetshaving things anymore, as I have achieved all that I set out to do when I started traditional wetshaving. For me, it was never about the materialism and large caches of gear, but simply about getting a better, less expensive shave with a relatively fancy razor.

I learned that I really don't care what method or tools I use to shave - safety razor, cream or soap or canned gel, electric razor, etc. That is perhaps the most important lesson. I just want to get the closest, most comfortable shave possible, all at a reasonable cost. As it turns out, a safety razor, quality soap or cream, and a brush gives me the best shaves at the lowest price.

Most of all, I have learned that traditional shaving is an integral part of my life now, no longer a hobby or learning interest. It is time to just utilize and enjoy it and move on to another hobby or area of study.

brit, Paul Turner and Carson West like this.
  4. Carson West

All of us should feel like you, but few of us are able to shake the acquisition disorder.

brit and Shaver X like this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It is not like I shook the acquisition disorder, I just never had it to begin with. Simplifying things brings me peace. For some others, it is having and using lots of different things that gives them satisfaction. It only becomes a problem if the person acquiring the items wants to do otherwise, but can't control themselves. Otherwise, it's all good.

My goal from the start was only to get a great, inexpensive shave, never anything more. It helped that my first three razors and second and third brushes were excellent. That just left soaps / creams and blades. I have tried 90+ blades, but always serially so I could get a good idea of how they really worked. The same goes for shaving soaps and creams. By the way, if you want to read my soap reviews, just search on "review", check the "Search titles only" box, and specify Posted by Member "Shaver X".

brit likes this.
  6. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I've found a sense of satisfaction at being able to get a reasonably close shave with what I have now. That being said, I also find myself looking forward to trying new things and scents. As soon as this current 30 day challenge is complete, I think my next thing will involve Bay Rum. Have "never" tried it, or smelled it, that I know of.

Shaver X and brit like this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You may need to store your gear on some sort of stand. If you have stuff (e;g; a large-handled brush or razor) that won’t fit into readily available stands, the wire hanger and pliers can be your friends.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  8. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I learned to pay more attention to the length of the blade on the Vector. I tend to fall into autopilot, and that only works when shaving with a standard DE razor, not an AC razor!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

AGHisBBS likes this.