A Heads-Up

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Carson West, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Guys, I thought I'd share this with you. Today I found an online vendor I'd never heard of, "The Global Shave Club." They manufacture some interesting razors and sell them for peanuts. But the part of their website that impressed me the most were these very informative articles posted on it. The author obviously did a ton of research and I learned a lot from him, particularly information about how the tools we use are made. Two articles I found especially useful are, "Why Zamak isn't a Four Letter Word," and "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Double Edge Blades but were Afraid to Ask." I've been a serious hobbyist for a year and a half now, and I haven't heard anywhere else about a lot of what I learned today. Check it out.

MR41, Keithmax, DesertTime and 5 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Besides having some good looking razors at nice prices, they will be coming out with replicas of a TV Special Flair Tip and a Fatboy by Christmas.

3. brit

brit in a box

very interesting..i wonder who will be making the fatboy..

johnnyflake, jgreenepa and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. jimjo1031

Don't know, but they say it will be an exact copy. Maybe it was an early prototype or just the picture, but it looks to have a gold like plate or coating.

johnnyflake and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

hmmmmn..

6. jimjo1031

Says Fatboy $65-85, guessing different finishes.
    906169781e78c9b88dc82d5f6bdf7f2e.jpeg
    8f7572ee72ba44e78d89f35bafaab8fc.jpg

johnnyflake and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

johnnyflake and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Their Gemini razor is supposedly designed for headshavers like me. They describe it as equivalent to a Merkur 34C in mildness. It has a mixed comb one side bar and the other side open. I must admit that old Sheldon is a great marketer! As a retired one I recognize the hooks used. Info content to draw in the serious shave nerd and then a variety of pitches to close the deal. He even has his own version of the venerable, macho R41 called the R41+ which is pitched as better designed and less prone to bite one. This is then followed with the ‘Ristretto’ the ultimate macho razor, efficient enough to clear the heaviest beard in one pass. This pitch is designed for the R41 crowd looking for the most ‘efficient’ and aggressive razor. Great stuff. The pitchman in the video keeps warning the viewer to take care due to the dangers of the razor’s efficiency. Wow! Great stuff!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Impressive site. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    That Espresso razor looks especially interesting for $10 (currently on sale).

Carson West, RyX and johnnyflake like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very nice site. I was looking at the Challenger razor for a travel razor.

:eatdrink013:

RyX, johnnyflake and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

It all sounds interesting. Does anyone have a link for the site?

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. jimjo1031

13. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  14. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Enablers you’re All Enablers.
    But Thanks Guy’s Appreciate the Heads Up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You’re just now figuring out that we’re a bunch of enablers?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  16. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

so, I pulled the handle on that Espresso and received it a couple of days ago. Under fifteen dollars with shipping; I thought it was worth a try. And it was.

I lathered some Castle Forbes, loaded an Astra blade (which loaded perfectly centered ) and went at it. An excellent two pass and buffing left me BBS except for my usual trouble spot, under my right jaw. I was in a hurry so didn't take the time to work the area. Overall it was very smooth and surprisingly efficient.

This razor was likely made my Weishi, or some other inexpensive vendor. If so, I can see why they have a solid following. For the price, it's hard to beat. It's well built and slightly larger and heavier than a SS -- which is good, IMO.

It demonstrates how with good beard prep and excellent lather, you can use about any razor to get the job done. So why buy those expensive, exotic razors? Because they're there and they look and feel so good (I own my share).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    brit, Carson West, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  17. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling us about it Dennis. I posted this heads-up because I was impressed with the website: the interesting and cheap razors and all the inside information. But since posting I noticed one thing that bothers me. Before you buy anything, he wants you to check the box and agree to his terms, as usual. But if you care to look over those terms, there's no way to find them. I think that's presumptuous on his part, and a deal-breaker. When I make a purchase, I never read the terms anyway before agreeing to them, but I don't like that he doesn't even post them, and I refuse to sign a blank contract.

9nein9, 178-bplatoon and brit like this.