Schicktember shave of the day

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Sep 1, 2019.

1. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir..i thought you would approve..:) i guess it's beyond it's warranty period..;)

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Just a bit...

brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

monday or tuesday planned shave
    canadian schick e2
    schick blade
    simpson commodore best badger
    figaro oud soap and splash 20190908_111342_edited.jpg

Ron R, BBS and Jrdelgado like this.
  4. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Very nice sir!

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

thank you..i also thank the fine gentleman that posted this thread..gave me some inspiration to retry them..:)

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I2v3, Schick Proline B-20, shave 4.

i2v3a.jpg i2v3b.jpg

This variant is the only one known to be produced with a silver colored head and the lever is unique in that it doesn't have any writing on it unlike other longer lever hydro magics.

This one is equivalent shave wise to an I1v2 or J1v2.

Ron R and brit like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They made the E2 with and without a movable spring. Like @wchnu said if it doesn't have the skin stretching parallel grooves on the guard that makes it an E2.

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir..secured spring and no parallel lines makes mine an e2..its a keeper..:)

wchnu likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Were there Canadian models that opened?

brit and BBS like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know right now. But I do know about when they changed over from the E2 to the E3 models.

brit likes this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have not seen any designated E1 factory ones yet, But I converted some of mine to the swivel for cleaning and installing blades with no issues. I prefer them that way, all E types and G types are meant to swivel but Schick must of got sued or some other problem occurred so they made them permanently fixed with a keeper. (Some folks do not like that when a person converts one to hybrid E1)
    There are some E1 Schick models that have rounded spring with a keeper only on the right side to act as a stop, there is also the E1 square looking spring that might be more common with a stop keeper on the right also.
    Schick swivel 2.jpg Schick swivel1.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    brit likes this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not my pictures but they show dates for the E2 and E3.

Here is an E2 set with the 20 year guarantee dated to 1941.
    41e1a.jpg 41e1b.jpg 41e1c.jpg

Notice no mention of the parallel bars on guard to smooth skin in the instructions

Here is a military E3 set with the 20 year guarantee dated to 1942.
    42e2a.jpg 42e2b.jpg 42e2c.jpg

Notice the instructions mention the parallel bars to smooth skin to stretch it.

That means the parallel bar skin stretching feature was added either sometime in 1941 but no later than 1942.

The approximate dates for each would be
    E2
    1935/36 - 1941

E3
    1941/1942 - ?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

20190908_111342_edited.jpg
    good morning,lovely 3 pass shave this morning..dfs +with no issue..have a great day,,

Ron R and BBS like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yea doing that would give me hives.

brit likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I have to revise the E2 date to either 1940 or 1939 and E3 for sure at least as early as 1941. That first set is a mismatch. The instructions are for an E3 with an E2 razor in the set.

Here are some E2 instructions for one with a movable spring. Notice the lack of treads in the wording for smoothing out the skin.
    se1ad.jpg

For comparison here are instructions for an E1.
    e1insa.jpg e1insb.jpg

brit likes this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Schick Type D, Schick Proline B-20, shave 5.
    sd.jpg

The first injector Schick produced. Razor is also fairly mild even though it has some serious blade feel. Shave is similar to the group of I and J injectors which include the I2v3, J2v2 and I1v2.

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Maybe someone will offer an extended warranty plan on the razor. :D

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

my case has 1939 on the back with the guarantee..year made?

BBS likes this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Assuming the set wasn't pieced together after the fact by a seller then yes 1939 is the year made for your razor. That date falls well within the production year for an E2 based upon everything I know about these razors.

Can you post a picture of the spring on your razor? They made the fixed spring in 2 configurations on the E2. The later ones the spring is like those on the E3 and the earlier fixed springs look like the movable spring on the E2 but they have stops on both sides to keep it from moving.