Suggestions for a first SE razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BlueShaver, Sep 9, 2019.

1. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I think i want to try a SE razor.

I see lots of Gems, 1912's , Stars, Komftes, injectors, ever readys Etc on Ebay.

Whilst modern razors look great, they are a bit of a stretch for my pocket money atm tbh.

Unless its cheap, vintage it is.
    Any suggestions where to start?

Any certs?
    Anything to avoid?

brit, BigD, jimjo1031 and 1 other person like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Injectors are easy razors to fall in love with. Schick G1 is a great place to start.

GEM Pushbutton or G-Bar are excellent starters for that style of razor.

Nothing wrong with vintage. I have a bunch of razors and only one of them is any kind of modern.

jgreenepa, brit, jimjo1031 and 4 others like this.
  3. bigsam1957

bigsam1957 Member

Kind of depends on the efficiency level you are looking for. The 1912s are supposed to be middle of the road. My current favorite is the gem micromatic open comb. But my favourite double edge is a muhle r 41 with feather blade. The micromatic shaves just as close yet smoother for me. If you prefer milder razors a feather weight, clog pruf, or push button might be more appropriate. I'm far from an expert on se razors, but I'm sure you'll get more suggestions from those more knowledgeable than I am. Good luck on your search for a se.

jgreenepa, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yeah what he said. Do like you mild or aggressive razors for starters? There are plenty of really good vintage SE razors using injector or Gem style SE blades that can be had on the cheap.

jgreenepa, brit, BlueShaver and 2 others like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Also are in the US or outside the US because depending where you'll have to deal with shipping. If you are in the UK for example I would say take a look at the Pal Injectomatic or adjustable razors for injectors and for SE Gem style razors Every Ready branded razors made after about 1950 I think, basically anything from the E-bar and up are the same razors as Gems from the G-bar and up. At around that point the parent company used Ever Ready to sell the same razors branded as Gem in the US over in the UK.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

If you choose to try Schick injectors the later models tend to be more mild. I started with a Type J, but preferring aggressive / efficient DE razors found type E & G are great. Info about the "types" can be found HERE. This classification system isn't Schick's idea. It was developed by the wet shaving community. Unlike DE blades, there are few choices. Chinese made Schick brand injector blades are nicknamed "Chicks". They are thicker stainless steel stock and comfortably give me twice the shaves as a DE blade.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Get a Gem Micromatic either Open Comb or Clog Pruf and learn to use it well.

They are inexpensive and shave incredibly well once learned.

jgreenepa, Terry, brit and 5 others like this.
  8. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

If you really want to have lots of opinions ,and hear about razors you didn't even know about, check us out across the street at www.theoriginalsafety2.com

jgreenepa, brit, BlueShaver and 3 others like this.
  9. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

Gem 1914 “shovel head” it’s my fave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. BlueShaver

Great replies, thanks.

Any Vintage razors to avoid due to unavailability of blades?

From B&B:

jgreenepa and brit like this.
  11. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

You really started this thread at a great time for me! I've been tossing around in my mind expanding my "one horse stable" of razors and have been looking at them on online sales sites. For purely purposes of looks, I like that Schick Eversharp with the "butterscotch" handle and gold colored head. Forgive me, I'm not informed enough right now to quote model numbers. I've used injector razors in my long ago younger years and don't remember anything undesirable about them.

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Christy, Valet, Ronson, De Haven Shake Sharp; not to be confused with the G.E. Jones Shake Sharp razor, which is a single edge razor that takes DE blades, but which is a bit beyond your stated budget.

The De Haven can be modifed to take modern blades, and the later models of Valet razors can take Feather single edge blades, but the blades are somewhat difficult to source and cost about a dollar apiece.

Edit: also avoid any single edge razor that has a 'seven day' set of blades. Those are wedge blades, and were meant to be honed like a straight razor. If that style of blade is something you decide you want to try, the Rolls Razor is probably the best and most usable version of that style of razor.

I would recommend a Gem Micromatic or any of the Schick injectors (except the type A, B, and C, since they are finicky to load).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Lots of good choices here including the Schick G, can't go wrong with it. I'd also include the Ever-Ready 1914 Little Lather Catcher. It can be bought for a good price and it's a great shaver.

14. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

My favorite SE type:

GEM Micromatic open comb and GEM PTFE blades (both those MMOC's with blade bumps and those without)

Schick Type E with Schick blades. If you can find one that opens, that's a bonus for cleaning.

15. BlueShaver

Great replies. Thanks.

It is a bit of a minefield lol.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The 24 is the Shovel head.

jgreenepa, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Not really. Any of them will do great. I usually recommend a Featherweight to start. The pushbutton and g-bar are nice too.

If you are in the US and would like to try a few different models I am happy to loan you a few.

jgreenepa, brit and BlueShaver like this.
  18. BlueShaver

Thanks for the super offer!

I am in Europe alas :(

19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For Gem razors one my personal favorites is the Clog Pruf Peerless. The reason it is referred to as a Peerless is that is the set it was sold in. It is a different and I think much better shaver than a standard Clog Pruf which was never sold in that particular set. It is one of the best razors I own. This razor is like goldilocks for me, it is not too aggressive or mild with the right amount efficiency that it will go toe to toe with any razor you can think of.

Here is how you tell the difference between a standard Clog Pruf and Peerless model.

gcp.jpg

The standard model is on the left, the Peerless on the right. The amount of teeth on the guard is how to spot one from the other. The standard has less teeth on the guard than the Peerless.

One other thing when you use these types of razors, they require a different type of pressure and angle than DE razors so don't necessarily expect your first few shaves to be that great as you get used to the different type of blade feel that thicker SE blades have compared to DE blades and the fact SE razors like these are designed to work their best at a shallow shave angle almost riding the cap unlike DE razors which are the opposite.

brit and GatorJoe like this.
  20. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I'd be remiss if I didn't chime in with the suggestion for a Gem Jr Lather Catcher.

jgreenepa and Jrdelgado like this.