Modern Machined Stainless Steel Adjustable Toggle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by blashe, Feb 25, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

they are beauties..

Str8on2 likes this.
  2. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Indeed they are. Still, $500 usd is nothing to sneeze at for a razor. The design is so iconic looking to the original, I just might jump in on one of these. Finding a NOS Gillette toggle is nearly impossible and the price for one is at four digits as of late. So, this one is a bit more “affordable” if one can’t get an original Toggle.

My issue is that hopefully the numbers are stamped and filled in just like the Gillette Toggle and not laser etched or marked (engraved) as the 3D renderings seems to be. I sent the founder an email and asked him concerning this. We’ll see what the answer is soon.....

Keithmax, Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

a lot of $$ but affordable per se.to pay a 4 digit figure for an original i would'be inclined to use it,and i don't buy razors just to look at..with the said improvements (read about) over the original and its gorgeous looks it could be the ultimate adjustable..just may happen..

Str8on2 likes this.
  4. Str8on2

Agreed.....

brit likes this.
  5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I can't afford to dream about it.

Zed117, Hembree, Str8on2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I’m happy with my toggle. I’m sure
    A lot of people are gonna jump on one of these. But I can’t justify it, the same goes for the Rex. I have 2 gibb adjustables and I’m content with both. That being said, I’ve bought and sold 3 toggles all under the $500 combined. They weren’t NOS, but what does that matter when the plan is to use it.

RyX, Hembree, Jrdelgado and 2 others like this.
  7. Str8on2

I'm thinking you haven't seen the prices as of late. I haven't seen one NOS Toggle go for under $1000 in the past 2 years. That's on the bay, etsy and a few other auction sites. Nearly new in mint condition can go from $500 and up. And a decent user grade model easily breaks $250. They have gone up considerably in the past 18 months or so. It's quite hard getting one at a fair price. Supply and demand and the collector's market have driven them to almost unattainable status.

Another thing is that the Toggle is inherently flawed. The Gillette designers knew this. So, even if you find one, there's no guarantee that it will work properly. Unless you find someone in the shave forums that for the most part in my experience have been pretty honest, it's a crap shoot.

And you're not wrong. I don't collect razors neither just for the sole purpose of displaying them. I use them. That's what they were designed to do.

RyX, Hembree, Jrdelgado and 1 other person like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I appreciate the OCD approach he has taken on these razors. I’ll likely go for one just to support him.

RyX, Hembree, Str8on2 and 2 others like this.
  9. HDSledge

HDSledge Active Member

This post caught my eye since I love my Gillette Toggles. I decided to back Eric this morning and hopefully I will have one of these to hang next to an original for regular use.

It takes dedication to go from concept to product. Eric needs 100 backers to get going. His campaign has been going for 3 hours and he already has 16% of what he needs to get started. I wish him success.

No risk to backers. If the fundraising goal is not met in 34 days no backers will be charged according to Kickstarter "All Or Nothing" guidelines. There may be a Kickstarter fee deduction though, not sure about that.

Due to the high price I predict that even if the campaign is successful there will be less than a thousand of these made.

brit, RyX, Str8on2 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Str8on2

I decided to take the chance also. I appreciate the dedication and due diligence with a methodical approach that has been shown and taken over almost 2 years of engineering and prototyping for this particular project. I'm hoping that this campaign is successful in producing this razor. I wish him luck in this effort.....

Keithmax, brit and RyX like this.
  11. Str8on2

Keithmax and brit like this.
  12. Keithmax

I also decided to take a chance for the same reasons you did.

Str8on2 likes this.
  13. Str8on2

Well, according to the owner/engineer behind the Janus Toggle Razor Eric Nyaribo, production has gone forward on creating a Limited quantity of just 51 of the iconic Gillette Toggle design. Looking like 4-5 months down the road from start to finish but, at least ground has been broken. I backed the original KS campaign but, that never caught the backing that it needed (100 minimum) and was not funded. So, when the opportunity was presented for a smaller run but, a distinctive looking limited edition model I jumped at the chance and placed my order (preorder) for a razor. Looking forward to this release and potentially a big improvement over the original toggle in operation, performance and construction.....

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  14. Keithmax

I really like Eric’s approach so I was a backer on the initial project and I’m in for the limited run. I’m looking forward to it too.

RyX and Str8on2 like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's two, leaving forty nine... Going to be some sweet eye candy. Can't wait to see your SOTD photos!

Str8on2 and brit like this.
  16. HDSledge

HDSledge Active Member

Last update to original backers said there are only a few left of the 51 Limited Edition Janus Toggles. If anyone is interested in getting a limited edition model you had better go for it now. I have number 5 reserved.

Last I heard these numbers are remaining: Serial #s 8, 20, 37, 38, 39 Not sure which one RyX reserved but that means there are only 4 left if any.

UPDATE: I just checked the website and all the Limited Edition Janus Toggles are reserved. Sorry folks.

Based on the success of the limited edition offering I am betting Eric will be producing more soon. Now I have to decide which color combo I want. What are you guys going for?

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm not an Early Adopter though I might take one for a shave in a pass around. As I understand the history of Gillette Toggles they were testing the concept of an adjustable but had issues with design. The 195 Fat Boy was the result of the Toggle testing. Since these guys are doing a stainless steel unit it may work better than plated brass. Assuming these review well, more are produced, and some hit the second hand market - then I'll be shopping!

Zed117, Keithmax and brit like this.