Razorock Eco

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, Sep 7, 2019.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I just got my shipping notification. Let the anxious waiting begin.

clint64 likes this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

What's the other razor Andrew?

Linuxguile likes this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That's a RazoRock SS DLC Lupo

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

clint64 likes this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Very nice. I am tempted by the aluminum Lupo.

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

It is purdy Clint....................look again.

6. Linuxguile

I probably won't keep my aluminum Lupo now that I have the SS. I want to do some side by side comparisons between the two and test the aluminum head on some heavier handles. If you would like to take it for a test drive let me know.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Rusty blade and clint64 like this.
  7. richgem

Mine arrived today, a day early. But, it will have to wait till the weekend to get its maiden voyage. I'm not so sure about the included half blades so my first run will be with my usual blade an Astra SP, well half of one of course. Oh, and I got the matte black version and it is very good looking.

Linuxguile likes this.
  8. Linuxguile

SOTD Stirling SEptember 18th
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    RazoRock ECO
    Crown Super Stainless ½ (2)
    DS Cosmetics Purple Haze (26mm, Frigate Class)
    Stirling Noir soap and PSB

Second shave with the ECO, really liking it's ability to shave at a super shallow angle. I still get the impression that the blade wants to catch and skip on the first pass unless I use a really fast stroke. I'm not sure if it's the blade or the lightness of the razor. I was planning on switching to a different razor next shave but I think I'll give this one another go and do some experimenting. I'll probably try the crown blade with a heavier SS handle as well as try a top tier sharp blade with the aluminum handle and just see how it feels.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Tdmsu, brit and PLAla like this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Good answer!
    tp

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  10. Linuxguile

SOTD Stirling SEptember 20th
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    RazoRock ECO
    Crown Super Stainless ½ (3)/ Gillette Nacet ½
    30DCLE (26mm, Frigate Class)
    Stirling 2019 Dirty South Shavers soap and AS

Did a little experimenting with the ECO this morning. I started the shave with the stainless steel handle and the crown Super Stainless blade. It still had a bit of drag and hesitation so I switched out the blade for a fresh ½ Nacet. Much better! It cut through the whiskers without pause and made the razor feel much smoother. I also tried the Nacet with the SS handle but it didn't offer any improvements so I finished the shave with the aluminum handle. I'm really digging the scent of the Dirty South Shavers set, it smells so good! Anyway, three passes for an IBBS finish. Have a great day and weekend my friends!

Tdmsu, PLAla, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

If curiosity overcomes you, now that I've mentioned it, let me know what a 1/2 Feather blade does for it.
    That's the first blade I'm gonna try when the mailman delivers mine.
    Sounds like it handles like most light razors, sharp blades make it handel better over the skin. Duller or less keen blades cause it to take a corner badly and skip or jump on the straightaways.
    Thanks for the report Andrew.

tp

12. Linuxguile

I probably won't get back to the ECO before you shave with yours

brit and Terry like this.
  13. richgem

Well... I just had my first shave with the ECO and... :sad024:

Granted this is my first run with a new razor, but initial reactions are not favorable. And, I'll just note here that I'm also an experienced SE shaver. In any case... I found the shave angle difficult to find and then maintain (razor balance maybe?). My throat got nicked good in two places and got fairly irritated without getting a very good shave. Even my cheeks (the easy areas) were on fire after applying alum. But, I did get all the hairs on my cheeks. Jawline was also successful and not irritated.

Now... in fairness, I also have to note that I was using a new SC which may not have been as protective as I needed. So, I'm going to let my skin heal up and switch to an SC that I know is protective. I may also try the included Crown blades. I chose to use a 1/2 Astra SP for my first run since that is a blade that I'm familiar with and use regularly.

Tdmsu, brit and Terry like this.
  14. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

For those who have used the ECO for a number of shaves now, do you feel like it provides an improvement/innovation to the DE razors you have? I admit that I didn't really understand this release but that of course doesn't mean its not a good razor. Just not quite sure which niche/void it might fill so I'm interested to see what the majority of users think as more reviews come in.

brit likes this.
  15. richgem

I finally got around to a second shave with the ECO. This time with the included Crown 1/2 blades. And sorry to say, this just isn't the razor for me. :(

The shave with the Crown blade went somewhat smoother, but I still had way too much trouble with my throat. I'm accustomed to some throat irritation from SE shaving; it's the nature of the beast for me. But, I'm not used to significant nicks. And those are what I got with the ECO. I'm guessing there's just something in the head geometry that doesn't with my mug. :(

16. richgem

I'll stick with my DEs and vintage SEs. But, that's me. I think the intended niche is those who are 1) extra frugal as only 1/2 a DE blade is used. And/or 2) those who want an SE shave, but can't get their hands on a GEM (or similar). And/or 3) those looking for extra wow/cool factor in so far as it's different and the colors are unusual.

17. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

The thing about the 1/2 blade never made sense to me though. You’re using it for the whole shave, vs with a DE where you’re probably using each side of the blade about half the time. So with essentially twice the ‘use’ on each half blade, you’d use them up twice as fast.

richgem likes this.
  18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hey O everyone.
    Now hearing and reading all the hubbub about the ECO is quiet interesting to say the least.
    First off, this is a rather light razor, like its cousin the Blackhawk. This means that it requires a confident hand, a skilled hand, a hand thats willing to take time to get to the skill next level. I'm not trying to run anyone down, my intention are true to wet shavers through out the world.
    If this razor is giving you as much grief as you say, maybe you nerd to practice with it.
    That said...

I have used my ECO 3 times since I received it. First time using a Feather blade. I gave myself a rather nice 2 pass shave, I shave my head too, putting the second half of the blade in to do the final pass on the head. 2cd shave I used Kai blade. The shave was a bit rougher, but I wasn't sure if it was the blade or my skin that broke out due to alergies. I topped 3 bumps that apeared overnight, nothing bad, but there they were. This morning's shave started out with Kai blades, but I installed a Feather after the first pass on the face. Now understand this, and understand it well. When I starred wet shaving some 3 years ago it was almost 2 years before I was able to use Feather blades. Why??? My technique was not up to it. Yes, that was it, my skill level had not developed far enough to allow me to try such a feat. I also stuck myself in a rut thinking, wrongly, that the razor or blade was the issue. These are nothing but blade holders, you, if you practice, you can use any blade razor combo to get a great, comfortable no issues shave, if you put in the time.
    Light razors..
    If your blade is not up to snuff, the instinct is to press down to make the blade 'work'. This reaction is wrong!
    Either get a new blade or a blade that is sharper.
    Light razors.
    They will skip or jump if not controlled properly. Using the weight of a razor to determine the weight of the blade on skin is wrong. When using any razor, with a sharp blade installed, you must control the contact pressure. A light razor requires this, more so.
    Hold the razor with 3 fingers in a way you have full control, not like your white washing a fence.
    Any razor with a keen blade will give a wonderful shave.
    This razor is no exception.
    keep the faith
    practice, practice, practice!
    Good luck!
    tp

jaro and Edison Carter like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Blah!!!

Terry likes this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Nice report.

Does the ECO keep the blade flat or give it a little bend like DE 's?

I have never used Kai blades, so I can not confirm this, but I recall reading that they measure slightly wider than other DE blades. If so, I think it would have a lower blade angle.

Terry likes this.