The Haul: September 2019

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RyX, Sep 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad to assist Kerry! The Haul is one of my favorite monthly conversations. I noticed you hadn't been logged in for a couple days, the calendar flipped a page, and it was time!

clint64 and Hembree like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

hello gents,just arrived..nos #25 service tech set..hollow fat handle brit tech set,1958 rhodium tv rocket, and a red tip rocket..:) 20190910_190521.jpg 20190910_190647.jpg

3. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

:drool: Holy moly! Wow! Nice haul sir!

Hembree and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir..:)

Hembree likes this.
  5. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Those are some beautiful razors, congratulations!

Hembree and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

thank you..

Hembree and dmshaver like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

8. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

brit likes this.
  9. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I received this wooden bowl in the mail yesterday from a friend, and former work colleague, who has retired and moved to the North Carolina mountains. He's teaching himself to turn wood using fallen/dead trees, structures being torn down and construction waste. He had posted a picture of a wooden bowl he'd turned, which led me to approach him asking if he'd done any small bowls that might serve to use as a lather bowl. He feels he's not satisfied yet with where he's at in his woodturning progression, but offered to send me a bowl to test for him. So, far be it from me to refuse!! This is what he sent. It's made of spalted red maple, is just over 5 1/2 inches in diameter, 3 1/2 in high, 2 1/2 +/- deep, and the base is right at 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Not sure what it's finished with, but I would suspect some type of poly. I haven't had a chance to try it insofar as lather goes yet, but that's coming. Any comments, etc. are welcome and will ultimately be passed along to him to try to help him improve his "game."

IMG_20190911_101040891.jpg IMG_20190911_101056757.jpg IMG_20190911_101234049.jpg

brit, wristwatchb, jimjo1031 and 13 others like this.
  10. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Looks very nice and I think the size is about where it needs to be.

brit, dmshaver, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Beautiful!

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Very nice, you must a decent collection of Gillette's because I see a lot of different ones over the months.
    Have some great shaves!

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  13. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

The Fat Boy and brush I picked up Sunday. I got the aftershave Tuesday. The Slim with the aftershave came around a while ago and was in terrible shape. After some serious cleaning, it and the Fat Boy cleaned up pretty good and a little paint on the numbers made a world of difference. IMG_0687 (4).JPG IMG_0691 (2).JPG IMG_0696 (2).JPG

brit, wristwatchb, jimjo1031 and 14 others like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Perfect! Now tell him to make two dozen more... I like the idea of using deadfall and repurposed wood. I'm not a wood turner (Yet!) but texture inside the bowl can aid in incorporating air, water, & soap during lather building. That might be a point of "improvement" - concentric rings or a spiral?

15. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

If you have a feel for about where the price for something like this should be, I'd appreciate a PM. Don't want to publicly discuss. ??

Thanks!

brit, RyX, dmshaver and 1 other person like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

No idea about pricing, I just like to encourage craftsmen & craftsladies to both enjoy their hobbies & make a little money when their pieces are appreciated. You already have the minimum post count, just need to wait until 3 month membership here at TSD. Then you might try a Classifieds ad to see if folks are interested.

There's a thread called The Shave Bowl that might offer ideas to your friend.
    Another for Brushmakers that could inspire the use of those small hunks of reclaimed lumber.

17. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Just arrived: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe Soap and Maol Grooming Frankinlime (w Menthol) Splash:

IMG_2534.jpg
    Can't wait to give them a go!

dmshaver, AGHisBBS, brit and 10 others like this.
  18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I have used both concentric rings and buttons that sit proud (after drilling them in) on the bottom of lather bowls. Both work fine and add a custom, productive touch to the bowl.

Enrico, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  19. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Got This Today From a Trade on the BST.
    Thank you Gracious Member.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmshaver, AGHisBBS, brit and 11 others like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.