The Shave Bowl..

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by brit, Sep 5, 2019.

1. brit

brit in a box

Hello fello shavers..people shave in many ways..and there are many ways to build a lather.i am a bowl latherer these days .consistent lathers,dialing in soaps you name it..anyone else like to use a bowl ,mug ,cup ,hubcap..here's a dedicated bowl thread for just the occasion..happy lathering gents

steve207, BigD, RyX and 4 others like this.
  2. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Yes, I use one most of the time for the same reasons you mentioned. It also allows me to create custom blends like Proraso Green soap loaded on the brush mixed in the bowl with a shot of Barbasol Soothing Aloe. I bowl lather but do an abbreviated face lather during application as it's easier on my face, and most of my beard prep is accomplished with a pre-shave shower. I have one of those green standard sized Captain's Choice ceramic bowls with the ridges on the bottom. Works great and I think the ridges and the slight roughness of the ceramic (even though it's glazed) help speed up the softening process of boar bristle break-in. That bowl and my Semogue SOC boar are a perfect match.

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Did you say bowls?
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4. brit

brit in a box

well hello sir..thats' a fine collection..thank you for posting..:)

5. brit

brit in a box

some of my favorite ones.. 20190905_192035.jpg

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Top left - green inside, blue outside. One day those VDH bowls will be the new Old Spice mug. :happy088:

7. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I can't do a show-n-tell shave until i finish my 30DC but i have rather unusual and interesting piece to explore once i do. I have not explored bowl shaving before so i plan on doing so with a 30DC in november :)

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  8. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'll take pictures and post what I have here later, but some of my stuff is at the house in the Philippines. My wife even bought me a plastic cereal bowl for my brush soaking/bloom water holding.

brit, AGHisBBS and Linuxguile like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..looking forward to it..

10. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

E54DB75C-6FAB-4233-BD82-BEC74F32552C.jpeg I recently got The Grail by Saponificio Varesino from WCS when they had their 30% off clearance sale. I’ll use it today with B&M Fougère Gothique to see if it makes lathering that soap any easier.

Robert1955, Ron R, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..

Angelo85 likes this.
  12. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Bowls are great! They work amazingly for soup, cereal, heck, even ice cream!
    In all seriousness, I only use a bowl when I have a sample of a hard soap, and even then, I just use it to load the soap in the brush.
    I have honestly tried to lather in a bowl, I even bought one of those cheap salsa bowls for the purpose, but I just for the life of me cannot get a lather built.
    I'll take face lathering all day long.
    End of hijacked thread.

RyX likes this.
  13. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Well, looky here, Fuzzy Jr. Bowls can do all sorts of things. When I'm working on equipment I'll put the screws, nuts, and bolts in a bowl too. Bowls can do amazing things. Give bowls a chance.

brit, RyX and ordinaryshaver like this.
  14. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I like your style :)

RyX and ordinaryshaver like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Me, too Jon. Aaron did give bowls a shot. If they don't work for him we'll chalk it up to differences in style. How boring would it be if we all used the same gear the same way?
    Boring generic shave.gif
    I started as a face latherer. For me the bowl gives consistent quality and more quantity of lather. Doesn't mean it'll do that for everyone.

BigD, Linuxguile, BlueShaver and 2 others like this.
  16. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Ok. So my question concerning this particular bowl is, what do you do when it's time for you to shave? If you put it down all the lather and your brush will fall out of the bowl. And if it does stand up on the handle, I imagine it's quite precarious and could easily topple over. Just curious. I'm a big fan of lather bowls.

brit, Angelo85, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    FYI, B&M soaps take an unusually large amount of water compared to most other soaps. I initially had issues with B&M soap, but found it to be a winner once I got the proper water amount dialed in. If it's a paste-like consistency, add more water.

18. Angelo85

It stands on the handle quite nicely.

brit and MntnMan62 like this.
  19. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Will it stand with the brush in the bowl? Or do you have to put the brush somewhere else?

brit and Angelo85 like this.
  20. Angelo85

I was able to stand the bowl with my PAA Atomic Rocket brush in it with no problems.

brit and MntnMan62 like this.