Has anyone heard anything that Personna in Israel will be closing?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Tallships, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard anything that the Personna factory in Israel will be closing? No more Crystal or Reds?

RyX and Jrdelgado like this.
  2. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Found a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission from what appears to be the parent company of Personna Israel. I'm including a couple of screen captures from that filing. This particular filing dates form fall of 2018. I don't know if this is the same thing you're talking about, but I'm throwing it in as information for discussion.

Capture 2.PNG capture 3.PNG

3. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

From discussion on this on another site - they say that production for all the blades currently made there will move to other facilities (most likely their German factory I would think?)

RyX and Jrdelgado like this.
  4. Tallships

Jrdelgado likes this.
  5. ghostlife

It seems they will continue to make them, but who knows if the blade will change at all from the production move; it might be safer to stock up now. I like crystals too

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have bought a couple hundred, a few years ago. Along with the other blades I have, i should never have to buy another razor blade again.

Shaver X, RyX and brit like this.
  7. Tallships

If they move them and are not the same, I'll just stay stocked with Astra SP'

BigMike likes this.
  8. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

While I, personally, don't have a DE right now, I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy up a few DE blades as finances allow against the day/possibility that I do get one!
    Are there better places than others to buy say these Personnas from Israel, or is it one of those things where "if you find them, then you buy them?"

Shaver X likes this.
  9. ghostlife

If you don't have a DE and don't currently use Israeli Personna blades I wouldn't worry about it. There are so many good blades out there.

BigMike and Shaver X like this.
  10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

What @ghostlife said.

Personna makes some very good blades. That being said, it makes a lot more sense to try individual packs of different blades, and then buy in quantity those that work really well for you. Otherwise, you could wind up with a bunch of blades you don't particularly like. There are around 100 different double edge blades available, so it's not like you will be lacking for choices.

Try-A-Blade sells many different blade types (http://www.tryablade.com/). Gemstone Trading is another good source (https://gemstonetrading.co.uk/shaving/razor-blades/). Based in the England, their cost including shipping to the U.S. is less than some domestic sellers.

There are many other vendors, as well.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I would rather rely on the report you cited and other information from Edgewell than hearsay on B&B. Better yet would be to just ask Edgewell. Here is their contact page in case anyone wants to ask them: http://edgewell.com/locations/#talk-to-us.

From the Edgewell 2018 Annual Report on page 99:

Nazareth Production Facility
    In October 2018, the Company announced its intention to close its production facility in Nazareth, Israel as part of Project Fuel.
    The production from this site will be redistributed across multiple locations best positioned to serve regional needs. The
    transfer of production will take approximately 12 to 18 months to complete during which the facility will continue to operate.

Project Fuel is described here as:

Edgewell is implementing Project Fuel to enhance shareholder value. Project Fuel is an enterprise-wide initiative to transform the Company's business and cost structure. The Company expects to achieve $225 million in annual gross savings by the end of fiscal 2021 to fund growth, transformation and margin expansion. Reinvestment priorities include repositioning and growing Wet Shave, accelerating Sun and Skin Care growth, international expansion, and driving e-commerce and digital across the portfolio.

From this we can deduce the following:

1) This is old news.
    2) It is part of a cost cutting measure to benefit the shareholders.
    3) It is likely that new production machinery will be used in the new plant, as the Nazareth facility will continue to operate until production shifts to the new facility.
    4) We should start seeing the new blades in 6 months to 1 year from now.

And also this:

5) Stocking up on Personna blades is a waste of time IMHO, as it only delays the inevitable. You will eventually run out, in which case you are back to square one. That is unless you buy a ridiculous amount of blades, enough to be perilously close to hoarding. Better to try the new Personna blades when they are available. If you don't like them, simply use another brand blade you do like. With 100 or so different blades available, it is not like we are short of alternatives. Anyways, it beats worrying whether a particular blade will or will not be available forever.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  12. Tallships

In the past number of days I've been comparing the Crystal blades to a few others, Wilkinson Sword (classic), Shark, Astra SP and Daxton (Chinese, Family Dollar). In order of comfort and sharpness:
    Astra SP
    Crystal, Almost as good as Astra
    Shark, Not as comfortable as Astra but close to Crystal
    W.S. : Not as sharp as sharp as Astra, Crystal or Shark but comfortable.
    Daxton: Very sharp and comfortable but 5 for $2.00
    I think I should down size my inventory to 1 or 2 blades, Definitely the Astra SP' and maybe the Shark. I remember that when Wilkies were made in the U.K they were much sharper than the German made.
    Yesterday I was shopping at Whitney Foods and found a 10 pack of DE blades for $2.00 pack said made in Israel. I wonder if these are Crystal, I'm going to try them this morning.

Shaver X likes this.
  13. Tallships

Tried the Israeli blade that I bough yesterday, two passes +touch up =BBS. Can't say they are repackaged Crystal blades but I like them.

Shaver X likes this.