Received some free shave supplies. Need help identifying some.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by StormyWeather, Sep 13, 2019.

1. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member

Friend moved out of town, and gifted me a bunch of his shave supplies. Looks like some good stuff in here.

So I know what some of these are, but I'm a little behind on the background -- especially some of the straight razors here. I probably don't realize the extent of what I was paid forward here, but in the Barbicide they'll go for use next weekend!

Any help would be appreciated to maybe understand the rarity of what I was gifted (he was in a hurry) as well as maybe some background to those with more extensive knowledge. I'm thankful regardless, but knowing would be interesting. (I'm googling at the moment what I can find, but any help would be appreciated.)

EDIT: Also, I'm told the QSHAVE kickstarter is what is in the unopened QSHAVE package. I think it's the blades?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    brit, RyX, ghostlife and 3 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Those straights look pretty good. I have the same Geneva straight and get excellent shaves from it. The slant should be interesting. Congrats on a great gift.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice pif. I see the QSHAVE Parthenon Razor V2.0, PAA Alpha Ecliptic Slant Razor, and three nice little straights. Cool.

Weasel640 and Terry like this.
  4. StormyWeather

I think, like other straights, my understanding is to sharpen with BOTH the spine and edge on the stone / strop at the same time? You want both spine and edge to wear down evenly, to preserve the angle the spine provides for sharpening?

5. lightcs1776

Yes, both will be on the stone or lapping film. There are some great threads here on honing. It isn’t difficult, but takes a little practice.

6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Looks like a GEM Gbar Guiding Eye from what I can see, nice SE razor takes GEM style blades. The PAA Alpha Ecliptic Slant Razor, looks like the aluminum one, takes Double edge blades. The other DE razor not sure enough to say.
    tp

Weasel640 likes this.
  7. StormyWeather

I'm ready. I've got 4000/8000 grit stones, and a 12000 grit sharpton ready to go. The sharpon is new, the 4000/8000 norton I use for the kitchen knives. I also have a DMT diamond flattening plate even, and green chromium oxide in a pretty insane brick. (I doubt I'll ever run out). Other than that, I got a dedicated leather strop that doesn't have chromium oxide to maintain. So really just I picked up a sharpton 12000, and a dedicated straight razor strop.

So I have the materials, I just just to learn how to apply better technique probably.

I also was gifted a nice Arkansas stone set that goes up to black / translucent, but I haven't had much of a chance to use it / haven't' had to with the 4000/8000 stone meeting most of my needs.

8. lightcs1776

Wow, you are certainly well prepared.

9. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

That PAA Alpha Ecliptic is anodized aluminum. Putting it in Barbicide might do some weird stuff to it's finish.

Terry likes this.
  10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Most don't need that kinda disinfectant.
    I just clean mine with an old tooth brush and some dawn dish soap, then soak it in alcohol for a while, 10 minutes is long enough. I have a Razorock Blackhawk V2, it's anodized aluminum and that doesn't bother it. I'd do the same to the GEM.
    That's a wonderful haul by the way.
    tp

Weasel640 likes this.
  11. StormyWeather

What about soaking in rubbing alcohol for five minutes?

12. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

That should be fine. Terry's advice is spot on for the Safety Razors. I'm not *yet* a straight guy so can't even begin advice on those... You might consider posting some pics of the straights in that section here as well.

Terry and brit like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That Guiding Eye is a micromatic. Very nice shaving SE. I have a PAA slant like that. It is not bad for a two sided thingie.

14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn