Gillette Canadian Rocket TTO timeline

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Sep 12, 2019.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That sounds about right, they also sold Milords after 1947 with the same razor picture on the instructions even though we know for sure they changed the style of handle.

brit likes this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Updated pictures and information in the first postings on thread. New pictures of the 1949 and 50 Rocket set added and Deluxe Rocket information including ads revised to 1952 including new ad scans from that year.

brit likes this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

And as an aside on which Aristocrat Jr razor would have been packaged in the Rocket sets in 1949 and 1950 regardless of box or styrene case we can extrapolate the style by the style of British Aristocrat razors sold in 1949 and 1950.

First we know by 1949 the 2nd gen of Aristocrat Jr razors with the flat base plate and new pointed end caps were being sold as per here.
    https://archive.org/details/b19974760M3770/page/30?q=gillette+regent

Also as an aside by that ad we know the difference between a No 51 and No 53 set and that was that the No 51 sets came with nickel plated versions of the Aristocrat Jr and the No 53 had silver plated versions.

If they sold these razors in Canada I would have used ads from there but they did sell them in Australia in 49 and 50 along with Aristocrat Jr razors so we can use that as the basis to determine which style of Aristocrat Jr was sold both years and in turn which style was sold in Canadian Rocket sets for both years.
    Full page ads also attached but not thumbnailed if you want view margins for the paper and year in the scans.

First here is an ad from the Age Dec. 1st 1949
    ad49h.jpg

Second ad is from the Age Dec. 5th 1950
    ad50h.jpg

As we can see the style of razor that particular Aristocrat came with a flat base plate and newer pointed end caps so the conclusion the Aristocrat Jr sold both years would be the same. Only one style of Aristocrat Jr should have been available both years then and that is 2nd gen one that still has the flat base plate and new pointed end caps.

Attached Files:

PLANofMAN, ghostlife and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

all rockets and aristocrat jrs have pointed end caps..the only exceptions are the superspeed styled ones you speak of in the cases from 52 onwards.these weren't made in england..

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yep figured that was the case after doing some more research. And that is from 1950 onwards not 1952 if you are referring to both types. Nickel plated versions of the Super Speed styled razors first appear in 1950 according to ads and we have examples with date codes of W and X of 1951 and 1952 documented so far. Gold plated ones appear in 1952. I'll post better pictures of that razor once it arrives here.

brit likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I think I have a way to identify which 2nd gen Aristocrat Jr doesn't belong in this set. It would have to do with the type of nickel plating used.

If you look here this is the same style of razor sold in 1949 in an Aristocrat Jr no 51 and no 53 set. If you read carefully one has a silver like finish and the other nickel. What that means is they used 2 types of plating for these razors. You have a standard nickel plating and something called nickel silver also referred to as German Silver. It is not real silver but has silver like finish.

https://archive.org/details/b19974760M3770/page/30?q=gillette+regent

Here is what nickel silver is and some examples what a nickel silver finish looks like.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver
    https://leisure.onehowto.com/article/how-to-clean-nickel-silver-413.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Willem_Lenssinck_-_Formula_I_Racing_Horse.jpg

With that known we just need to examine a few examples of Aristocrat Jr styled razors purported to have been sold in Canadian Rocket sets to determine which finish was used. Once we know that then we know if we see an Aristocrat Jr styled razor paired with a Rocket case whether it could be legit or not.

My opinion based upon looking at a few examples is the ones in Rocket cases had a standard nickel finish and not a more fancy silver like finish and therefor would have been plated using a standard nickel formulation like you see on more common nickel plated razors like the 40s style super speeds for example.

So the conclusion is if it has a silver colored finish it doesn't belong in a 1949 - 1950 Canadian Rocket set and if it has a nickel colored finish it does for Gen 2 Aristocrat Jr razors.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    brit likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

both my flat plate and diamond plate rockets appear to be nickel plated..

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That works for a comparison.

brit likes this.
  9. MarioT

MarioT New Member

This thread just made my day... I also got a nearly new Rocket Deluxe, same blue case. Weirdly can't find any made in Canada/USA/Britain stamp on the razor. Only Gillette Datecode X1

I was sure the case was mismatched, but looks possible it came in it. :)
    IMG_20190914_171336_compress75.jpg IMG_20190914_172244_compress36.jpg

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

20190914_141423_edited.jpg
    430030 flat plate rocket on the left.
    20190914_142224_edited.jpg

jtspartan likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is correct. That is a 52 Canadian Rocket set. Case is correct also since it is says Gillette of Canada.
    Nice score. Congrats.

Those style of razors will also lack the pat nos on pkg stamp on the side of the base plate that you load the blade. I just picked one up myself I am waiting on right now. The hunt is now on to find a black tip styled super speed Rocket now.

I've owned the nickel plated super speed style Rocket and Aristocrat Jr styled Rocket so far. If that gold plate one shaves like the nickel plated version it should be a very mild razor along the lines of a black tip super speed.

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If that case was a mismatch the underside would look like this.
    blucasebottomusa.jpg

That case is not for a Canadian Rocket but for a US black tip super speed. Notice it says Gillette Safety Razor Company Boston USA. That is how you know it is for a US made Super Speed. That Rocket case says Gillette Safety Razor Canada. That is how you tell which set each case belongs to.

13. brit

brit in a box

20190912_194936.jpg case made in U.S. another pointer at the 52 up rockets were u.s made..i think canada was winding down razor production at this point.after 54 ish the stopped making razors including the tech..

jtspartan and BBS like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

@brit I happen to have a Gillette razor that is finished in nickel silver. I'll post some pictures tomorrow so you can see what a nickel silver type of finish looks like. Short answer in how to tell the difference between a nickel silver plate or silver plate is shine a bright light on both. Silver is much more reflective than nickel silver.

brit likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I agree also, my guess is these were made in the US by Gillette of USA for resale by Gillette of Canada as a Canadian branded item. Bet it had to do with the nationalistic rules back in the day like with radio where a certain percentage of music had to be Canadian artists played ever hour and this was their way of violating the spirit but not the letter of the law.

brit likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

quite possible..i know that canada sold british tech razors from mid 50s onwards.they had canadian packaging also..curious why the brits had british flare tip superspeeds and flare tip rockets in blue silver and red..its a later part of the story..or are the brit superspeeds for canadian market also..

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I don't know on the Super Speeds but I can say for the Techs they sold British Techs side by side with either US made or Canadian made Tech razors. The sets they sold the British Techs in was called the Londoner.

As far as the British Super Speeds I never found them for sale in Canada on ebay or elsewhere. The places where I found the ones I used to own or seen for sale were either British or Australian sellers.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

makes sense..i haven't seen a canadian tech stamped newer than 1954.canada's patent had run out..most likely brit and u.s razors here in canada after that..more research..

19. MarioT

MarioT New Member

There's no patent stamp indeed. Thanks for all the history info.

brit likes this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

@brit here is what a nickel silver plated razor which has no silver in it looks like.

Here is my Popular which the handle portion is nickel silver next to a Schick B1. They look similar have the same type of sheen to them. The only way to tell them apart is to shine a bright light on them. Silver is much more reflective.
    r1.jpg

Now here is another side by side with the Popular, B1 and 46 Ranger Tech which is standard nickel plate.
    r2.jpg

Bottom line if you happen upon a 2nd gen Aristocrat Junior styled razor and the plating looks like that Popular it doesn't belong in a Canadian Rocket set. That razor with that finish would only go in at No 53 set for at least 1949 and 1950.

brit likes this.