Masculine Scented Artisan Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by MrEE, Sep 14, 2019.

1. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

I've been wet shaving for less than a year and need help finding a soap to complete the experience. So far my favorite soaps all have tallow. In fact I had settled in on a rotation of Mickey Lee Soapworks soaps with Pantie Dropper being my favorite.

On that note, I am looking for suggestions on tallow based masculine or barbershop scented soaps. I haven't really liked the fruity or flowery soaps I have tried.

Just in case it matters, I shave every day and rotate between straight razors and aggressive safety razors with blades known more for their smoothness. I also prefer to build my lather in a bowl.

I am planning to buy a bunch of samples soon so suggestions which are available as samples will be much more likely to make my to-try list.

Thanks!

Mitchell Smitley, RyX and brit like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You are going to be bombarded by Stirling Soap suggestions. Listen to them and you will be happy.

3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy097:

Stirling Barbershop, Stirling Bay Rum, Stirling Sandelwood, Razorock Mudder Focker, a light barbershop scent.

You were warned.

:)
    tp

MikeyIdaho, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Yep....Stirling. @wchnu is right.

MikeyIdaho, Paul Turner, brit and 3 others like this.
  5. MrEE

I was warned after-the-fact, which doesn't really count.:)

Okay Stirling is on the list. I am waiting on a couple Razorock soaps, I almost ordered Mudder Focker...

RyX, brit and Terry like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Most Stirling has matching after shave AS and after shave balm ASB.
    You can also try Clubman Pinaid, don't know if it's tallow based but it's a good soap. The AS is strong and long lasting.
    tp

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The clubman soap is the classic vanilla scent. A very good choice.

8. MrEE

I have Clubmab Pinaid AS. I also have strict orders from my wife to never wear it. Same goes for Brut Classic, but she likes Axe Apollo and Dark Temptation. I am not sure she gets a vote. (I hope she never reads this.)

Looking through Stirling's website I see a number of soaps I'd like to try. I'm still very interested in other options. Tallow based isn't critical as long as the lather is dense. I am willing to try just about anything.

Terry, RyX and brit like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No Clubman or Brut? Time to trade her in for a upgrade...

10. brit

brit in a box

chiseled face-ghost town barber..

11. brit

brit in a box

you forgot gentlemen..:)

Terry and MrEE like this.
  12. MrEE

Chiseled Face Midnight Stag sounds interesting. Love me some leather, Hoppes #9, and gasoline.

13. brit

brit in a box

i want to try that one as well..:)

Terry likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @MrEE! Way to jump in with both feet.

Never experienced these two so I went to my information source - basenotes.net.

Axe Apollo
    by one review is citrus, sage and sandlewood with a creamy powdery finish. Classic Barbershop but each has it's subtle differences. Those are all very common scents for men's products.

Axe Dark Temptation
    described as vanilla and fruit/chocolate notes. I'm sure somewhere out there a soap maker has done something of the sort - I'm thinking Mickey Lee's Drunken Goat? I haven't tried it but seem to recall chocolate being part of the mix.

If you are adventurous buy an unscented soap and mix in your fav EDT. The only big difference between an aftershave and Eau de Toilette or Perfume is alcohol content. Some folks like a bit of glycerin added to feed the post shave skin.

MrEE, brit and Terry like this.
  15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Oh dear..
    Clubman Pinaid is a classic man AS.
    Oh my
    tp

Paul Turner, wchnu, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Another scent I forgot to mention is Ogllala.
    They have some very spicy Bay rum.
    The soap is a hard type, but with a little more work, it lathers up fine and slick.
    tp

RyX and brit like this.
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Come to thinkof it fuzzy.
    She might be smarter than we're giving her credit for. If he's wearing Clubman, and ends up at the Piggly Wiggly, that could spell trouble.
    :rolleyes005:

;);)
    tp

wristwatchb, brit and RyX like this.
  18. MrEE

Wow, that info is pretty cool. I always thought Apollo had a baby powder finish and the other notes you mention seem accurate. I don't mind Apollo, but the AS is a little harder to find so I don't use it as much. Dark Temptation is a popular Axe body spray scent in Europe. When I started using AS, my wife specifically asked my to locate some. I have both Dark Temptation and Drunken Goat. Yes, my wife loves both. Comparing them side-by-side, I get the same base notes, but in very different proportions. I hadn't noticed that before.

I used Axe Apollo body wash when we were dating and discovered Axe Dark Temptation Deodorant after forgetting deodorant on a romantic weekend in Paris (not very romantic. I'm smooth like that). The small Paris market we visited had exactly two deodorant options and the other was very floral. So, both Axe scents reminder her of romantic moments with me. I suppose that's important.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  19. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

If you like Pantie Dropper, Stirling Noir is based on the same fragrance (Drakkar Noir)

SlowRoller47, RyX and MrEE like this.
  20. MrEE

Seems to be seasonal, but I will watch for it. Will probably buy some this winter.

Anyone have experience with KShaveWorx?

RyX likes this.