September 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 30, 2019.

?

It's Stirling SEptember. Whatcha got planned??

1. Gonna use some great vintage single edge gear and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Gonna use a modern single edge or two and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Gonna mix it up with all kinds of single edges and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Gonna use whatever I feel like because hey, it's my shave so I'll enjoy it my way!! Duh!!

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  5. Straights baby, because I'm just that doggone good. Duh!!

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  6. Some SE's, some DE's, some other stuff, maybe Stirling, maybe not. Who knows?! Duh!!

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  7. Cookies and ice cream. That's all I'm here for. Stop hounding me to shave!!!!! Duh!!

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I know that you live in Finland, but you can go on Ebay and get a shave ready vintage straight razor for $30 US and you can get hone with lapping films for $40-$50 dollars that includes a flat marble surface. You can watch YouTube videos on how to shave and hone straight razors.

2. brit

brit in a box

:happy102:

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Danny.

Trigger, PLAla, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful photo and recap Blair. I will have to keep T&H Sandalwood in mind when I use up my current sandalwood soaps and creams.

Trigger, wristwatchb, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  5. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I have a little post-script to this summary.

After the 30 days of use, i have cleaned up all of the equipment used. The brush has been flushed through, dried and combed. The razor cleaned and de-gunked (looks brand new tbh). The remaining blades put away.
    When i got to the soap, i again weighed it and yes, my original sums were right. However, upon removing the puck from the bowl to clean them (1st time since the start) i noticed a thick black ring around the soap and in the dish:

[​IMG]

As alluded to in my OP, metal bowls are not a good idea but i didn't expect to see the level of corrosion and soap contamination that i did see. It is thick and heavy and won't polish out. I had to really scrub the puck to remove the blacking from it as well.

I can salvage the soap but the bowl is toast for shaving. It will be relegated to the shed if i can keep a lid on my disgust long enough for me to not throw it in the bin.

This explains why they no longer sell the bowl. I wonder if it also explains my mysterious rashes....

Not happy tbh. Lesson learned!

RyX, jtspartan, Trigger and 10 others like this.
  6. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Even that is a bit too expensive for me now, but if my financial situation gets better i might have to do a little bit of shopping..
    My grandmother actually has her fathers straight still (might have to snap a picture of it some day). If i could get that sharpened properly, would be cool to try it out.
    If i want to learn technique, i might do a 30 day challenge with my parker. I have used it only a few times, did nick myself with the corners of the blade, but i've had worse cuts with a disposable razor.

jtspartan, wristwatchb, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I see that West Coast Shavings stocked the product. Maybe they will get a restock order of the sold out items.

Trigger, PLAla, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  8. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I believe Jim @Norcalnewb was wanting to see a few pictures of the finished pedal tractor that I had been working on for my wife's best friend's grandson in Pennsylvania. I finished it up a couple of weeks back and it is the one in the center of the top two pictures. The red one I restored for my son about 20 years ago and green one on the outside was my brothers when he was a little boy and it was restored about 20 years ago as well. Dad bought his new in the middle 60s. The other three are future projects. See if you can find the "toy" pedal tractor in the first picture. Pedal 1.jpg Pedal 2.jpg pedal 3.jpg

RyX, b1hart, jtspartan and 12 others like this.
  9. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Much respect and admiration tbh :smiley respect:

Trigger, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  10. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks Jon.

Trigger, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Trigger, Hembree, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  12. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

When my other boar brush gets here, i might have to start cheating a little by using it every other day. Just because my omega doesn't dry completely between shaves

13. brit

brit in a box

hmmn.i have heard but never seen..mine was a refill so no bowl..onward and forward sir..so many great soaps to try..sv felce is a knock out if you like hard soaps, klar and pre de provence as well.i would say mitchell's but it hasn't arrived yet..great reviews though and a learning curve for some when lathering..ps ,high end brit hard soaps have some issues i hear. never bothered and bought the creams..fantastic ..

14. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hello all and a great Wednesday.
    Just taking a break, have time to post this mornings shave.
    Same as yesterday's shave, but a 3 pass head and face instead of 2 because of the long work day. Oh yea, and a new blade, of course.
    20190918_061522.jpg
    The Stirling is great and my Micromatic did the job well with no issues.
    to all
    Enjoy
    tp

RyX, b1hart, jtspartan and 12 others like this.
  15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great looking shave, Terry!

Trigger, Hembree, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Shave...meh. Smell...:happy093:
    Thank you, Jon. The D3 handle has a nice, compact feel and the knot has some real backbone and softness. The OS is a really great juice.

jtspartan, Trigger, Hembree and 7 others like this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    Whenever I think of you using a new blade with every shave (sometimes, two!), I remember fondly the Three Stooges scene, where Moe runs a saw along Curly's head and the blade is destroyed!

RyX, jtspartan, Trigger and 10 others like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

absolutely awesome Danny ..very cool..:)

Trigger, Hembree, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  19. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Down periscope.
    Fire torpedoes.

Trigger, Hembree, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  20. Primotenore

Article Team
    Multiply this amount by 6-7 and you will start to see real results.

jtspartan, Trigger, Hembree and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.