Schicktember shave of the day

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

It must be the weather changing because my skin seems to be blotchy and whiskers tougher. Took out my Schick injector i2 today and it performed OK but the results were not as stellar as normal and my skin and beard has been like this for about 10 days.(blame the colder weather:(.)

Razor : Schick i2 injector, mfg-1954-57
    Blade : Schick (5)
    Soap: Razor rock "The Dead Sea" excellent soap,nice fragrance-good slickness & leaves the skin hydrated and softer, it's the expensive Saffron and it's other blend of essential oils.
    Brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft
    Preshave: Wet the face + Alo Vera Gel
    Post shave: Alum block + cold water rinse
    Post shave : Dead Sea A.S + witch hazel + Nivea balm
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicating some irritation=:o

SEptemper 18-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

jimjo1031, Droo78, BBS and 1 other person like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

nice shave sir..

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

last 2 shaves were with the Type D and Type E2 w/movable spring and using a Schick II Twin blade.
    sdii.jpg e2ii.jpg

Well the good news is they can both be used with Twin blades. Bad news is they both work well with Twin blades but not as good as a single edge injector blade. Type D as turns out works the better of the 2. They both give really smooth and comfortable shaves with a twin blade but there is performance trade off in return.

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I see you like to experiment also a little, very interesting and might have to try that in one of my many Schick E's I have!

BBS and brit like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The only issue I can see with using twin blades in non movable spring E or G razors is the thickness of the twin blade. It might widen up the blade holder to the point it won't hold single edge injector blades but by all means especially if you an E or G you don't care if they get messed up or can repair them afterwards.

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Just received my Schick golden 500 Hydro-magic injector yesterday and it came with some platinum injector blades that still had the preserving oil on the edges so took the 500 for a shave this morning. The results were excellent but alum block told me that it was a little to close. The handle on this beautiful razor is 5 3/8 inches long so folks who like long handles will enjoy this one.(Men & women)

Razor: Schick Golden 500 Hydro-magic injector J3 model Mfg 1957-64
    Blade: Schick Platinum injector (1)
    Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea"
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft
    Pre-shave: Warm wet wash cloth 40 sec X 2 + Aloe Vera gel
    Post shave: Alum Block + cold water rinse
    Post shave: Razorock "The Dead Sea" A.S + Witch hazel + Nivea balm
    Result: CCS,DFS,BBs + Alum block indicated I over shaved but no weepers=:(
    SEptemper-19-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    jimjo1031, brit and BBS like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That is not a Golden 500 this is what a Golden 500 looks like. See how this one is stamped Golden 500 and yours is Schick 500.
    j3b.jpg

With that said you most likely have the chrome plated version of this razor. Golden 500 date range is actually 1959 - 1967. They superseded the J4 razors in 1959. I have an ad showing your razor from 1960. Both are listed as Golden and regular. I am going to borrow your razor picture for my I and J classification thread and put in as J3v2 variant and classify the Golden 500 as a J3v1.

8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

It does look chrome from the picture (bathroom Setting pic)but it is golden and sorry the picture kind of threw you off. I don't have a Studio other than my bathroom and the lighting is not the greatest!
    Schick Golden 500  Hydro-magic MFG1957-64.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

jimjo1031 and BBS like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The other possibility then is this one of the later model versions they solid in the plastic travel cases. Either way it is an anomaly like the I2v1 hydro-magic that is stamped as a Schick and not Eversharp and deserves to be classified as its own variant. It have to walk back the ad referring to this only because upon looking at other ads they priced regularly at $5 but sold at $2.95 so that is what the regular means.

Ron R likes this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

This is the case that Schick 500 was sent in, it's not the fancy case with the mirror and nice velvet. So it must be a travel variant and the case is built for abuse of traveling IMO.
    Some of the gold must been removed when cleaning and picture was taken outside in the sunlight so it looks like a j4 but it is golden and is a J3!
    Schick Golden 500 Hydro-magic 1.2 MFG 1957-64.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

jimjo1031 and BBS like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You answered the question how these were differentiated. These were 2 different packaging sets whether they were distinctly different shavers or not I do not know. I can say for sure going back over the ads, these were sold concurrently with the Golden 500 razors from 1965 - 1967. There are ads that distinctly mention a Schick 500 and a Schick golden 500.

Here is the golden 500 razor and case from this same timeframe.
    golden500 case.jpg

My conclusion same shaver or not they were different packed '500' sets with the razors stamped differently for the sets.

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Taking a break from injectors to try out a not well known Schick DE razor.
    sp1.jpg sp2.jpg sp3.jpg

This razor was not sold in the US and was sold in various foreign markets under different brand names since this one originated in Europe I am going to say it was branded as a Schick Platinum.
    More details on this and other Schick razors here.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/schick-krona-de-timeline.62806/

The shave it is a Schick, mild razor probably more in line shave wise with the later rebranded Krona razors than the earlier Schick Double Edge razors. Nothing remarkable about the razor or shave so unless you have to have one of these razors like for a collection for example they aren't worth the premium in price because of their rarity. A Krona razor or Astra knockoff if you can find one cheap enough are more than acceptable substitutes to this razor shave wise.

13. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I dont know how I missed this thread!! I am an avid Schick injector lover. My daily razor is a Type G. Or as I like to call it, the closet thing to shaving perfection. Here is my Schick of the Day for Friday...a few hours early!
    20190919_202305_resized.jpg

jimjo1031, GatorJoe, brit and 2 others like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SEptemper 22 and its Sunday and the injector for the shave is going to be my new Pal injecto-matic 2nd use and it was a great shave.
    Razor : Pal injecto matic MFG 1952... Very nice to handle and with good results!
    Blade : Schick (2)
    Soap : Razorock Lavender
    Brush: Yaki Tuxedo 24 mm
    Pre shave : Wet warm face cloth to face for 40 sec X 2 + Aloe Vera gel
    Post shave : Alum block + cold water rinse
    Post shave : Razorock King Louis Lavender A.S + Nivea balm
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum indicated minimal irritation=:)
    SEptemper 22-2019 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

16. brit

brit in a box

nice shave sir..

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Schick C2 Repeating Razor
    Personna PTFE Blade
    Frank Shaving Boar Brush
    Dirty Deeds Bay Rum & Lime Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Orange
    Elvado Wild Mint Lime AS Balm

Untitled.jpg

BBS, Ron R and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jim..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Thank you Gary.

brit likes this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SEptemper 24 and it will be a Schick injector adjustable, this razor is amazing with the adjustable gap. I turned this one down to 3.5 and it shaves like a 7-8 on my Gillette Fatboy but smoother IMO and I'm thinking the previous owner could of tinkered with the settings possibly?

Razor : Schick M3 adjustable injector MFG 1970-72
    Blade : Personna injector SS PTFE (3)
    Soap: Tabac
    Brush: Yaki Tuxedo 24 mm
    Pre shave: Wet the face + Aloe Vera gel
    Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
    Post shave: Nivea refreshing AS + Nivea Balm
    Results: CCS,DFS BBs + Alum indicated minor irritation = :eatdrink013:
    SEptemper 24-2019 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

BBS and brit like this.