September 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 30, 2019.

?

It's Stirling SEptember. Whatcha got planned??

1. Gonna use some great vintage single edge gear and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Gonna use a modern single edge or two and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Gonna mix it up with all kinds of single edges and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Gonna use whatever I feel like because hey, it's my shave so I'll enjoy it my way!! Duh!!

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  5. Straights baby, because I'm just that doggone good. Duh!!

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  6. Some SE's, some DE's, some other stuff, maybe Stirling, maybe not. Who knows?! Duh!!

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  7. Cookies and ice cream. That's all I'm here for. Stop hounding me to shave!!!!! Duh!!

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Awesome shave, Joseph!

brit, Hembree, RyX and 6 others like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent post and photo Joseph. The CH3 looks gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, RyX, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim.

brit, Hembree, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  4. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

DSC_0224.JPG
    I will start rotating between these two, as i want my brushes to dry out properly between shaves.
    But i will be sticking with the merkur and proraso.

9nein9, brit, Hembree and 11 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great idea. You’ll have two well broken in brushes shortly.

brit, Hembree, RyX and 7 others like this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

SEptember 19th
    Razorock Hawk V2 w Feather Pro (3)
    Omega Pro/ Poculi beehive
    Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
    Thayers
    Stirling Bergamot Lavender AS
    IMG_2554.jpg
    Still going with the Hawk for the SE focus. This was the 2nd use of this soap (I'm tracking usage for the first time, a la @PLAla ) and the scent is wonderful. Thanks to @clint64 for another great recommendation. Loved everything about this shave, except for the 'scratch' I gave myself below my ear. Not sure what happened- I think I did a bit of a J-hook type of thing at the far end of a pass- but I got myself pretty good. Weird. The Bergamot Lavender isn't a bad scent, and certainly didn't kill the Cubebe vibe.
    Have a great day all!

9nein9, brit, Hembree and 11 others like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful shave and photo Jason. I love the scent and performance of Cubebe.

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Great shave, Jason! Sorry about the mishap. It's fun to keep up with soap usage. I think there are some on here much detailed than I am with shaving statistics and spreadsheets.

9. MrDaniel's

Can't wait to try the new brush properly. I made a few test lathers with it, seems to work very well and didn't shed much.

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Beautiful shot Jason!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

11. jtspartan

My opinion on blades has changed considerably in the past few years, Daniel. You are right to stick with the same blade during your rule for sure. Enjoy experimenting when you are done.
    What I have found is that the difference for me between all the 'top' blades is very negligible. I like virtually all of the Russian Gillette blades. Are there subtle differences? Absolutely. Especially with the different coatings. Do I have favourites? Absolutely. Can I get a really good shave with all of them, and will often not even remember which blade I put in which razor? Absolutely.
    Some folks on here stick with the same blade and that makes a lot of sense. Some folks on here like to experiment with different blades as part of the hobby. Our fearless leader @NCoxSTL even takes pride in using obscure vintage blades or blades from countries that have no business making any stainless products.
    I guess what I'm saying is that 3 years into this, I find the blade to be amongst the least important choices in wetshaving, as long as you are using a quality product. Others probably think differently on this as well and that is why we say YMMV.

9nein9, brit, Hembree and 10 others like this.
  12. jtspartan

Well, that is quite the condemnation, isn't it!
    Sounds like you need to relegate that one to the shower, Danny.

13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Beautiful set up! Happy Birthday Mark!

14. jtspartan

Now you are just showing off with those CH2's, Clint! Beautiful. Is that a scratch I see on that Cherry table? Unacceptable. Put it in a big box and I'll send you my address...
    I love the rockwork on that chimney, Patrick. Awesome. Did you do that as well?
    Nice combo, Daniel, and congrats on the haul of creams and the brush.
    Wow, super gear and another amazing colour effect, Gary.
    Happy Birthday, Mark! That brush is certainly worthy of the occasion.
    Love the combo, Joseph! That big CH3 is a fine looking brush as well. Can't help you with the blade question, I don't own one, and the CJB isn't the same.
    That's the beauty of making your own stuff, Jim. SWMBO thinks I've made all my stuff if it's wood... It is the volume of software that gets the occasional eyebrow raise for me.

15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

The Timeless Bronze is a great razor. I'm glad you liked it. With both baseplates it goes from mild to wild!

9nein9, brit, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  16. jtspartan

Thank you, Clint. The only other SV soap I could see moving my needle right now would be the Manna di Sicilia. Liked it in a bath soap, but I'm not itching to order it right now by any means. I really like Tundra Arctica, but it isn't available in the 4.3 base at this point. Some others I've had as bath soaps- Stella Alpina, Dolomiti, Cosmos- don't register with me as much.

brit, Hembree, Edison Carter and 7 others like this.
  17. jtspartan

Thanks, Perry. Ya, the only time I made a spreadsheet for shaving was for No Repeat November last year to try to have decent matches with soaps and splashes/balms.

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Terrific picture, Jason!
    I was on the fence with Bergamot Lavender at first. I took my sample with me to the Lou for the Meet Up and it really grew on me. I now have the full sized tub and aftershave.

19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

September 19

Gillette NEW LC in Gun-Kote Bronze by Delta Echo Razor Works
    Voskhod Teflon Coated DE (3)

JR #160 Louisville Slugger handle w/Omega 10098 boar knot
    Third Pass Shaving Co. Redline
    Alum, Thayers WH, USB, Clubman & Ermenegildo Zegna Uomo EDT

A great shave on a day and a half of growth, but not much new to report. I decided to take a break from the T&H (seems like everyone is using it now :)) and went with Third Pass Shaving Co. soap. These Voskhod blades are super smooth on day 1. By the third shave, I perceive some difference in the blade edge. Still a great blade for a 3 and out guy.

Question for non-gourd shavers: does anyone else do a blind over-the-head DE pass to clean off their neck? I will usually do a couple of quick ATG (S to N) passes on my neck before switching to a new blade. Every few weeks, I'll shave my forehead/temple area and even do a careful pass along the edges of both ears. It just keeps everything looking neat and trimmed.

I slept in a little this morning after the big day yesterday. No after effects at all, and my weight is right back on target. I'm a happy camper. My Bride and I are planning a chicken and veggie grill out later today with our dear Aunt. It's a beautiful, sunny September day...perfect for being outside.

Hope you all are having a great day.

20. MrDaniel's

A blade is a blade, as long as it cuts the whiskers, it's good. I have noticed differences, but every brand i've tried worked just fine. I've tried several brands, i bought 100 packs of Astras and Lord platinums, cheap even in finnish stores and they work for me. I can buy Bic blades locally, i occasionally get a few tucks of those as well.

9nein9, brit, Hembree and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.