SOS September 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by celestino, Aug 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Friday SEptember 20th SOTD

Well... I'm not fully giving up on the Focus Dynamic R50 but I gave up on today's shave after getting significant neck irritation on pass 2 at my trouble spot - so I finished the shave with a pass by the good ole Colonial General. I may not shave that area tomorrow. I'm BBS after a pass with the general. Happy Friday all.

Josh

[​IMG]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Tatara Nodachi/H&S N075-SS, BIC. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. Jenks

Jenks Active Member

Are you able to compare your experiences with the R48 and the R50? Do you feel they perform similarly but are just made from different material? Or would you consider them as two different razors?

4. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Pre: Cold water splash
    Brush: Semogue 610 Boar
    Soap: Stirling Sandalwood
    Razor: Karve CB with D plate
    Blade: Astra SP
    IMG_20190920_191037.jpg

After two days of using the OC, I finally got to compare like for like and used the D plate SB.
    It seems my suspicions are true, the OC is smoother, especially when buffing and the odd pick-up.
    Just to make sure it wasn't a self-fulfilling prophecy I swopped the base plates halfway through the second pass and definitely smoother.
    Smooth Shaves to one and all.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip (A3) 1955
    Blade: Wilkinson Sword (5)
    Brush: APShaveCo. Synthetic FAN w/ Elegant Emerald Handle - Extra Dense Shaving Brush - Cream/Brown - Imitation Badger.
    Soap: Reef Point Soap Dragons Blood
    Aftershave: Folsom & Co. Capri
    Bowl: Symmetrical Pottery Starry Night Dottie Bowl

Today is Friday and I know how much the 2 Amigos love Friday, so I thought I'd shave and take a Tres Amigo Friday shave. The fourth Amigo is everyone else at the shave den.
    Fall is slowly approaching, the days are getting shorter, the nights a little longer. Trees are starting to change, some birds have already left for warmer climates.
    This was an amazing BBS shave. I even had a second look at Dragons Blood. It is a solid shave soap, however, there is something about it that it is not in the buy again bracket.
    "Have a great weekend each and all". :eatdrink047:

20 9 19.jpg

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great shave Kevin. The brush and razor are made for each other. :happy096:

brit, clint64 and Boru62 like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good photo. How do you like that soap? If I buy more soaps my wife wants a bigger house. Do tell he there are 2 more on the way.

brit, jtspartan and clint64 like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I like the way you arranged your products. Good photo!

brit, clint64 and hins2jw0 like this.
  9. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Thank you Douglas, if you like little boar brushes I can't recommend this one highly enough.

brit, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  10. hins2jw0

Let me preface my response with a disclaimer. I have a very very tough beard, but very sensitive skin so I may be different than much of you guys... As always, YMMV.

I have shaved with both - I think they shave pretty similarly although the "heft" and the feel of the stainless steel on my skin is much desired in comparison. I also felt the corners of the aluminum R48 were somewhat sharp at times and the R50 is much smoother.

I do really do like the concept and do feel that the fit and finish of the R50 is significantly improved as well. If it doesn't work out for me I can keep you in mind if you wish? I hope this helps. Thanks.

Josh

jimjo1031, brit, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs107:

brit and clint64 like this.
  12. hins2jw0

Thanks! I don't always have as nice gear in comparison but I do my best .

brit, clint64 and Boru62 like this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

If it's a shave brush I'll find a way to like it! :happy097:

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

E
    Excellent picture and setup Mark. Have a great weekend.

brit and clint64 like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent Rusty.

brit, Rusty blade and clint64 like this.
  16. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

FRIDAY'S SHAVE

Perfumed by:
    Steve Demercado
    [​IMG]

Razor - Edwin Jagger "Kelvin"
    Blade - Astra Superior Platinum
    Shave Brush - 22mm "Synthia" Chrome Synthetic Nylon
    Shave Soap - Proraso Menthol & Eucalyptus Shave Cream (from sample)
    Aftershave - Proraso Menthol & Eucalyptus Aftershave Lotion
    Post-Shave Balm - Advanced Clinicals Anti-aging Hyaluronic Acid Cream
    Deodorant - Kiss My Face "Cucumber Green Tea"
    Fragrance - Calvin Klein Escape for Men

No picture for this. I am transitioning this set's products over to Proraso Green and looking into either a custom deodorant or alternative one. The previous shave soap was Razorock's Zi-Peppino, which was a decent pairing, but I found the tobacco flower scent in this soap seemed to alter the true scent of the CK Escape fragrance. I might rarely swap in the Zi-Peppino scent just for when I want that unique change, but I think I need a set of products that keep the original scent unchanged. Proraso Green's scent is Eucalyptus, which is one of the major notes in CK Escape, so it camouflages into the CK Escape scent seemlessly. For now the cucumber-green tea deodorant, while still a tad different, has a muted scent that doesn't seem to interfere. So this is my temporary set. And this set will now undergo maintenance and upgrades. So, no picture this time around.

17. Jenks

Jenks Active Member

I think my situation is probably better suited for this type of razor. Normal skin, fair (and grey) hair, lots of whiskers but individual hairs are thin. If you are looking to move the R50, I would be interested in taking it off your hands.

clint64, hins2jw0 and Edison Carter like this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I love the scent, feel is excellent. My only criticism is that it seems to go pretty fast.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

clint64 and Boru62 like this.
  19. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Fri Sept 20

Razor - Rocnel Elite 2019 “A”
    Blade - Feather HI Stainless (2nd use)
    Brush - Alpha Brush Outlaw Titanium Fan Manchurian
    Soap - Stirling Dirty South Shavers
    Post Shave - OSMA Pierre Alum, Stirling Dirty South Shavers A/S Splash

Rating - 5 of 5

Great smooth shave, 2 pass BBS. No chatter or noise from this razor; hardly know it’s doing the job and paired with this blade, it smoothly glided over my face and cut down 2 days of facial hair growth.

First time using this soap and A/S. Very nice scent. Wish I bought the EdT as well.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

:D
    I do lean towards small boars with backbone and this has become king of the castle in a short period of time.

clint64 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.