D/E razor amatuer restore thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by vittocia, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Yes, the 1906 did come in Gold "Plating", though not a wash. It was thicker than the gold was of the 30's and beyond.
    My Smooth handle 102's have a very prominent plating of Gold.
    Both 102 Smooth Handle smaller copy.jpeg

It is easily as thick as the Triple Plated Silver.

Enrico and brit like this.
  2. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

It would have had a nickel stike plate applied under the gold. Maybe it wasn't replated. Perhaps the gold just wore off showing the original nickel strike plate. Or more likely it started showing the nickel so someone pollished the rest of the gold off.

brit and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

It came to me by way of The Traveling Box; Round Two. Member @gorgo2 had sent it out for The Service. It's like triple thick plating with more shine than any other nickle plated razor I have.

brit likes this.
  4. MrEE

1940s era Gillette Aristocrat as it was pictured on Ebay.

20191019_173013.jpg

Both endcaps were missing so I performed a transplant from a 1956 superspeed. Tumbled in stainless steel pins for 10 hours. Hand polished. Sonic cleaned in alkali and soap for 10 min. Hand scrubbed with stainless steel brush, all to get the varnish off. Hand polished and followed standard prep for 8 min nickel bath. Then plated in 18k gold for 45 seconds.

I'm very happy with the results.

20191019_170737-800x600.jpg 20191019_170839-800x600.jpg 20191019_171048-600x800.jpg 20191019_170455-800x681.jpg

TestDepth, mvd, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

very cool Evan..how did you remove and reattach end caps? i have a similar razor that needs end caps .

6. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

That looks great! Were you able to retain the sharp edges and points?

MrEE and brit like this.
  7. MrEE

The endcaps are soldered on so you just heat them with a torch (not a flashlight) while gently prying them loose. Then to reinstall, you gently press them in place while heating again. You usually don't need to add any solder.

If you are careful you can hit the sweet spot where you melt the solder but don't discolor the plating.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rev579 and brit like this.
  8. MrEE

The knurling is still sharp and edges are still crisp. Stainless steel pins are incredibly gentle and I used primarily chemical cleaning rather than mechanical polishing to remove the varnish and worn plating.

Jim99, Rev579 and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

thank you Evan .much appreciated..

Rev579 likes this.
  10. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

That is one part of re-plating that kills me, again and again. I like the sharp edges and detail. It's a small detail, but it is a detail that ought to be considered.

MrEE and brit like this.
  11. MrEE

I agree. I had a couple razors professionally replated and was disappointed by corners and edges. If I was trying to make a living at it, I'd starve. I'm sure I spend 3x the time preparing.

Jim99, brit and Rev579 like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That’s really nice work. I would love to try my hand at that some day soon. How long does it take to get the hang of replating?

brit likes this.
  13. MrEE

Like anything, it depends. You can buy kits which do most of the work for you. However that's not the cheap way to do it. Check out www.riogrande.com if you want to buy tools or kits. You won't save money doing it yourself, but you can spend the time getting the results you want.

I have a few razors that look factory new. I have others that look horrible and need completely stripped and redone. I just screwed up a Slim today. It's now being tumbled in hopes I can save the nickel plate, which was amazing.

If you are the kind of guy who loves research and figuring things out you'll do fine. I already have a garage full of tools so I really didn't have to buy that much.

Jim99 and brit like this.
  14. MrEE

Poor donor razor. Sad that this was the worst I had and I buy a lot of $5 or $6 razors.

The next new member who shows up asking what to buy is going to get this in the mail.

20191020_190139-800x600.jpg

15. brit

brit in a box

very cool.looks like it will shave just fine..

16. MrEE

I started with this Kindle book. However I spent a lot of time reading forums.

"Electroplating (Crowood Metalworking Guides)" by Dan Hanson.

Start reading it for free: http://a.co/i6aOzJx

brit and Jim99 like this.
  17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m definitely going to look into doing replating myself. It sounds like fun! Thanks.

brit likes this.