Brushmakers Thread - Calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I like the creativity of doing the inkwell stands, there aren’t many practical constraints on form. Here are three vaguely based on chess pieces.

95CC77DB-F2E5-4244-99E6-C3A3A458D72E.jpeg

Dave in KY, Jayaruh, Ron R and 4 others like this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

These are cool! You’ve given me some inspiration... now I just need the time to get back into the lathe room!

Tanuki, 9nein9, brit and 1 other person like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..nice work..

9nein9 likes this.
  4. jtspartan

Thanks, Patrick, but I’m no pro. Just a hobbyist.
    I know your bowls will be awesome.

RyX, brit and 9nein9 like this.
  5. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I-X collet chucks incoming! Direct from Beall, which seems like a nice little operation. Can’t wait to use them, but I do have a project to finish turning first. I am particularly looking forward to being able to hold a brush handle, then rechuck it to tweak the shape for the perfect feel. (Or to totally destroy it if I get sloppy or try to rush - ain’t turning great!)

This will motivate me to dive into the woodpile and make up more brush blanks to season. Plenty of blanks so far, half a dozen knots waiting to be set, but no brush handles have made it any further than the reject bucket. Well, one was drilled deep to convert into a really tall razor stand.

Thanks again for pointing me to them. ‘I-X’ was the key to unlocking the internet.

RyX, brit, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. I will be using it monday morning!

RyX, 9nein9, brit and 1 other person like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Looks even better once it bloomed!

Hembree, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yesssss I do.

9nein9, Hembree, brit and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

My I-X collet chucks are here! Now I need some good weather for some outdoor turning.

Another plus, my mother-in-law pulled out a sizable chunk of black walnut and gave it to me. Plus she told me about turning a lamp base from a used bowling pin when she was 8! Her dad taught shop. She still uses the lamp.

The black walnut chunk came from a large mature tree that was in the side yard of her former home. Apparently she has been seasoning/ignoring it for a couple decades. It is a large but odd shaped chunk from the bottom of a large branch that fell. I know there are a good number of brush handles and inkwell stands in there, but I hope to get a couple small bowl blanks out of it as well. We’ll see...

9nein9, Hembree, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  10. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

9nein9, Hembree, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you very much.

9nein9, Hembree and brit like this.
  12. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Under close inspection, my black walnut chunk turned out to be a section of a crotch. With a lot of work, I got it to split along the lines of the old bark that was now deep in the interior where the two branches grew together.

Next step - visualize the many blanks hiding inside the four chunks that I might actually get through my saw. A friend with a big band saw would be a plus.

There is a boot toe in there for scale.
    upload_2019-9-13_14-31-40.jpeg

13. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I am way over-excited, but... I just had the opportunity to use my I-X collets for a first test run. Still some details to iron out, but I am loving this tool. I cut myself a low-quality fruitwood blank (my pear tree) to exact length, gave it a taste of the 1 1/8 Forstner, and did all the turning on the collet.

I owe a guy a 28mm knot boar brush, so I rushed off in that direction immediately. He wants a stubby sort of handle, but this is practice. Here is a photo of the unfinished piece, with the knot lofted mid 50’s, about where I think it should go.

7261DB2B-5B13-48CF-BADA-3A0B6C217401.jpeg

My JT33 chuck does not hold the I-X collet securely, so I have some shopping to do. I’m doubtful that I will finish this handle, since the blank was not fully seasoned and this knot is not my size.

14. jtspartan

Awesome! You can always just use a Jacobs chuck for the collet as well.

Linuxguile, 9nein9, Tanuki and 2 others like this.
  15. Trashman

Trashman New Member

I’ve been watching this thread for a several weeks. Last spring I was able to score a few pieces of equipment from a retiring coworker. One being a jet lathe. I’ve only done a few brushes. These are my first try at using a wood lathe, and as an avid wet shaver, I am thoroughly hooked on this hobby!

Attached Files:

Dave in KY, 9nein9, AGHisBBS and 9 others like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096: Great work!

:eatdrink013:

9nein9, RyX and brit like this.
  17. jtspartan

Those are stunning!
    What are you doing for technique? Similar to what you’ve seen on here?

9nein9 and RyX like this.
  18. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Nice work!!

9nein9 and RyX like this.
  19. Trashman

Trashman New Member

Technique? Shoot, I don’t know about a technique. I watched a couple YouTube videos and started playing around. I found a couple pics online and blew them up on my phone to a similar size and measuring with a ruler. From there I just kind of went with it.

9nein9, AGHisBBS, Dirtfarmer and 3 others like this.
  20. Trashman

Trashman New Member

Thank you all for your kindness. Honestly, I’ve just been playing with this lathe and got lucky I think. But it sure is fun.