TSD Fundraising Idea that may have just fizzled

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Missing Lynx, Feb 27, 2019.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

For your own use, a copy/paste of the TSD artwork won't do economic harm. JoAnna @Queen of Blades did give permission to have batch with logos made.
    Short of someone bank rolling the up front investment, the other option is orchestrating a Group Buy. The project can still move forward but it's shelved for the moment.

2. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Ok. Thanks RyX.

RyX likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'd still be interested.

[​IMG]

:eatdrink013:

RyX likes this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

You're well known now! :) A TSD mug is a great idea. Why not you as the point man? TSD is very egalitarian, no class system here, unlike some other forums which shall not be named. By the way, thank you for your suggestion of a TSD mug from Sunset Hill.

@Queen of Blades had given her seal of approval for the project, so it looks like we are good to go regarding the TSD affiliation. Why not simply discuss the characteristics members would like the mug to have? First, of course, would be to ask the potter if he or she would be on board with the project. If the answer is yes, then work out the details by discussing it here. For example, dimensions, handle design, does it have a brush rest or not, etc. Once that is decided, present the details to the potter for a final OK.

There might be a minimum quantity for the run, if this is a one-time run. If not, then the mugs could be made on demand on an ongoing basis, kind of like Amazon's print on demand for books. I don't think a single member should be bankrolling this up front with their own money. That would be asking for trouble. Instead, members should send payment directly to Sunset Hill. If somebody decides to back out, it's on them and won't cause any strife here.

Enrico, brit and RyX like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

@Missing Lynx hasn't been with us since July 8th.

brit and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

True, but the project can still move forward. Anyone can take advantage of the previous work already done. Permission to use TSD logo as a single piece or a batch has been granted. For a batch to happen either as a Group Buy or with an Investor who will distribute. In the case of a Group Buy, pricing ought to be set so that as originally intended, at least one piece be donated to the next TSD Raffle.

brit and Enrico like this.
  7. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

How many people do you think would be interested enough to buy one of these? Is there a way to do a poll of that?

Would need to know a fairly certain price before you could expect people to commit to it, but to get a firm price from the supplier you would need to know how many could be moved. Kind of a danged if you do and danged if you don't kind of thing.

Has anyone gotten into it far enough to ask these folks for a quote, etc. which might give us a close, ball park price to go from?

Enrico likes this.
  8. S Barnhardt

I took the liberty of emailing these folks about a minimum order and ballpark price. I've gotten a response but I'm on my phone and can't easily get to it at the moment. Will post more soon.

Enrico and RyX like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Feel free to take this and run with it. f you'd like to present a mock up - a photo of a mug or bowl with a TSD logo - and a poll, it might be time for a new thread. At this time anyone can have a single piece made. A Group Buy will take some coordination and a Leader. It can be you.

S Barnhardt and Enrico like this.
  10. S Barnhardt

I"m thinking about it! Leaning toward yes, but until I/we have a better feel for what a person could reasonably expect to pay, I would prefer to reserve "pulling the trigger" so to speak. I know at some point there will probably be a need to personally be "on the hook" for some cost and I'd rather have a better feel for how much. That being said, let me toss out to everyone what I've gotten back from them so far. What follows are pertinent excerpts from an emailed response I got from them.

"Our standard mug and stein (in standard glaze colors) prices range from $11- $16.50 each + shipping (depending on style and total ordered). The minimum order is 24 pieces."

Pretty self explanatory here. I have no idea how much shipping would be at the moment. I imagine that depends on which item is chose. Example: Steins weigh more than mugs and some mugs weigh more than others, all of which combine to influence how much the shipping charge would be for the whole lot.

"In the meantime we are working on your free no-obligation proof so that you can see your artwork on a medallion."

I sent an image file of the TSD logo that was included above this posting somewhat to give them an idea of what we wanted. They have a feature whereby they do a "free", "no-obligation" proof of just what your particular artwork might look like on an item, should you choose to go forward with a purchase. They went on to say they expected I should receive that by Thursday (10/17/2019) of next week.

They have "assigned" a contact person who will help coordinate the process should we choose to go forward with this.

So, to sum it all up, to this point, we have an inkling of what they might "cost" us, plus a sample of a potential artwork coming, and a "specific" person to work with if it's a go. The "artwork", hopefully, will be available by the end of next week which will give us something to look at. Then we will need to pick a "model" so to speak and toss it out to everyone to see if there's enough interest to support going further.

There will obviously be more to discuss after next week. Be tossing it over in your minds folks!

mvd, Enrico and RyX like this.
  11. S Barnhardt

I'm thinking the time for a "new thread" might be when the sample medallion is available? Start the thread with that and start polling people's thoughts on what, how much, how, etc.?? Keep all the pertinent info on the whole project in one place. ??

Enrico and RyX like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Member @Missing Lynx hasn't visited TSD for a little while, I'd give credit when you start the new thread, a link back to this one? Opening the new thread with that artwork and a poll - a vote for style #1, Choice B, etc. If you are taking the lead on this, then it goes from thinking and talking to doing so a new thread makes sense.

mvd, Enrico and S Barnhardt like this.
  13. S Barnhardt

LOL! Looks like I am, doesn't it?
    So to make it formal, if formality is called for here..............I am!

Your point/s quoted here are good and are agreed with! It will be done. The only way I can think of, at present, to link back to this one is a "copy and paste" of the url for this page. Is there a way I'm not aware of?

RyX and Enrico like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Please put up a link here when you do create a new thread for this. I'd be most definitely in for at least one to two. :happy088:

:eatdrink013:

mvd, RyX and S Barnhardt like this.
  15. S Barnhardt

Okay! :thanks:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Enrico likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Pretty much. Make the new thread. Somewhere in the first post do your copy/paste of the address to this thread. Then come back here and do the same - dropping a link to the New Conversation so folks can make the jump.

There is a way to make a Link that's clickable. It's an HTML trick, with a button right there above the window when you are writing your post. I recently wrote up the steps for another member.

To turn text into a link here at TSD;

1) Type up your text. I like to use italics or bold, or both to let folks know it's a link. To change the text to those special looks, highlight with your cursor and click the "B" or "I" buttons above the text entry window.

2) In another tab have the website you want to link already open. Copy the address.

3) Highlight the word or words in your text entry window to become the link.

4) Above the text entry window find the "LINK" button that looks like this -> [​IMG]
    5) Paste link address in the pop up box.

Simple, huh? I'm sure my children or grandkids could show me how to do it in half as many steps, but that's how I do it!

17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

OMG, @Missing Lynx is missing? I hope he didn't get mugged.

RyX, Queen of Blades and S Barnhardt like this.
  18. S Barnhardt

In an effort to see what it would take to go forward with this, or something similar, I've decided to "bite the bullet" and try to organize this.
    I've created another thread TSD Mug Project - THE REVIVAL here on TSD to, I hope, get everything into a single, cohesive thread. I invite you to "go to" that thread, read, and join in the discussiion.

For the new thread click on TSD Mug Project - THE REVIVAL

RyX likes this.