Getting a little overwhelmed setting everything up here...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by StormyWeather, Sep 15, 2019.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I find it heartening that people accept that as a valid option, when I first proposed it in 2007 to test each stage from bevel set on up, it was initially met with huge pushback.

Now even the 1k Shave Challenge is well known and an accepted practice..

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  2. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    FACTORY TEST SHAVE:
    I DO THESE TO SEE WHERE THE CLAIMS OF "SHAVE READY" FROM THE FACTORIES REALLY STACK UP

RAZOR 6/8 DOVO BEST QUALITY FACTORY SEALED.
    ROUTINE
    I DO THESE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME TO KEEP THINGS FAIR

FIRST STROKE, WITHOUT TOUCHING THE EDGE TO ANYTHING = RESULTS WERE ROUGH THE RAZOR STRUGGLED TO CUT HAIR

SECOND STROKE, AFTER 25 LAPS LINEN 50 LAPS BUFFALO LEATHER = RESULTS WERE A BIT BETTER AND THE RAZOR COULD CUT HAIR.

THIRD STROKE, AFTER 20 LAPS ON .30~MICRON CROX 20 LAPS LINEN 40 LAPS RUSSIAN FINISH LEATHER = RESULTS BETTER AND THE RESULTS ACTUALLY WERE NOT BAD, THE A/S SPLASH HAD A BIT MORE STING BUT THAT COULD HAVE BEEN FROM THE FIRST 2 STROKES

I WOULD CONSIDER THE RAZOR TO BE AT THE ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM OF WHAT IS CALLED "SHAVE READY" IT HAS MUCH ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT. ALSO OF NOTE, I HAVE BEEN SR SHAVING SINCE 1981 I SHAVE WITH A VERY CONFIDENT HAND, AND KNOW EVERY TRICK THERE IS TO GET THE MOST OUT OF A BLADE.
    THIS EDGE IN THE HESITANT HAND OF A NEWB WOULD NOT HAVE THE SAME RESULTS

SHAVE ON GENTS !!!

I HAVE SOME BEFORE PICS OF THE EDGE SHOWING SOME SMALL CHIPS ON THE EDGE, MOST OF THAT CAME OUT AFTER ALL THE STROPPING. THE INITIAL; EDGE UNDER MAGNIFICATION WOULD NOT MEET MOST OF OUR STANDARDS..

[​IMG]

PS:

I wanted to do this yesterday but the weather forecast of 23°F for the Low on Sunday put me up on the roof cleaning the Chimney yesterday hehehe

[​IMG]

TestDepth, Billyfergie, brit and 3 others like this.
  3. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Untouched edge

[​IMG]

@StormyWeather - Many thanks for the Coffee that is TASTY, I am heading to the hones with a freshly ground Cup o Joe :p

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    TestDepth, Billyfergie, brit and 2 others like this.
  4. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member

Nice. Anytime. Thanks for helping me get it shave ready and doing a really thorough analysis of how it started off. Much appreciated!

5. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Chuck Naill’s suggestion to use film at least in the beginning. It is, by far, the easiest way to learn to hone with quick success.

Edison Carter likes this.