Brushmakers Thread - Calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nice work!
    Form follows Function - if a handle fits your hand and has a deep enough socket to hold a knot, it's good. Embellishments, curves, hand detailing after turning can add distinction and difference to your style.

I've developed my preference as a brush user - Professional Barber Style; flat bottom, deep recess for increasing backbone of the knot. fairly tall and thick for my big hands. Others are Beehive fans, or prefer Grecian Urn lovers. You are in the enviable position of being able to experiment!

9nein9, jtspartan and S Barnhardt like this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Have completed a few wood/resin combo handles. Here’s what 4 looked like after coming from moulds:
    599CE7BA-3BE8-4ADE-A7A0-B15842F05EF4.jpeg
    Over the past few nights I turned the two blue ones. One has a Zenith Boar in it and I will be keeping it:
    5249C63B-E176-4D92-BC45-2A91CD5113F2.jpeg
    06ADC22B-1D13-483A-ABD8-36D7450BC209.jpeg
    Another is going to a friend:
    401EFD3C-BC64-4067-A48B-65DD25BDF5D4.jpeg
    The blotchiness is in the wood and looks worse in the pic to be honest.
    Taking cues from @KUSTOM and others, I finished with CA glue on the lathe and then a series of ultra fine pads. It was the first time for me doing this, and I really like it. I do so many with paint and texture that makes finishing like this very difficult. Not a problem with these.
    Looking forward to the other two this weekend!

Dave in KY, 9nein9, Tanuki and 8 others like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wow, Jason! Those turned out beautiful!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

RyX, brit and jtspartan like this.
  4. jtspartan

Thanks, Jim. I am happy with them and looking forward to the other 2.

9nein9, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Looking great Jason! :happy088:

:happy096:

9nein9, jtspartan, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

nice work Jason..they look fantastic so far..

9nein9 and RyX like this.
  7. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

You'll learn something on every piece you turn. Looking real good so far.

9nein9 likes this.
  8. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    When I first got my lathe I bought a quick change chuck set (the one on the right) from PSI. It was about $200 (ouch!) but it came with 6 different jaw sets so I was set up for most anything I wanted to turn. One particular set of jaws, I think it was the 3", would kick off as soon as the lathe started spinning. Quite dangerous! I sent the chuck back and they replaced it with a new one that one of their tech guys personally went over. A few months later I received a recall notice on the chuck set but ignored it for a long time (almost a year) because mine was working fine now. I finally found a replacement, well, 2. I got the 2 Nova chucks (center and left) with some jaws for about $230 out the door. They work so well I can't even believe it! And quick change? Turns out that unscrewing a chuck and replacing it with the other takes about 10 seconds. This is living, folks! More good stuff on the way. Oh, and that's one of my homemade Mahogany carbide tools above. Pretty fun project. Anyone looking to get a PSI chuck...don't! Nova is the way to go!

9nein9, Tanuki, Trashman and 4 others like this.
  9. Trashman

Trashman New Member

Tanuki likes this.
  10. Trashman

Trashman New Member

Anyone looking to get a PSI chuck...don't! Nova is the way to go!

I agree completely based on the 2 chucks that came with my machine as well. Unfortunately, the local woodworking shop that’s just a few miles down the road only carries PSI products.
    The Nova that I have is hands down the superior of the two.

9nein9, jtspartan, KUSTOM and 2 others like this.
  11. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I completely agree. My first chuck was PSI. I had too many bowls let loose and go flying off it. My current chuck, a Nova G3, holds tight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9nein9 and KUSTOM like this.
  12. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Here's a handle I turned from the scrap pile
    [​IMG]
    The PSI chuck with the pin jaws expanding would loosen so I was always retightening it and as a result cracking glue-ups like this one. Having a chuck that stays put is a game-changer.

Dave in KY, 9nein9, Tanuki and 7 others like this.
  13. jtspartan

Here are the other two wood/resin fusions from my pic last Wednesday. Both are drilled for a 28mm knot. The darker one is Sapele and the lighter wood is YaYa. Unfortunately, one won’t be able to leave the den. Looks like the resin didn’t harden perfectly on the bottom edge on the lighter one. You can see where it looks cloudy. Hardened ok with the CA finish, but just not good enough to move on to a friend. I might keep it, I might bin it. Very proud of the other one, though:
    383601FC-A3C4-4FBB-BB40-60E8720936E6.jpeg A11290E6-72B1-4CF5-A86C-7F0946A9D653.jpeg
    I was worried about the bond with the resin on the end grain of the wood. I drilled into the wood so that the resin would hold on something besides end grain. That worked well at least. I guess I didn’t mix well enough? Who knows, the batch was perfect everywhere else.

Dave in KY, clint64, ischiapp and 8 others like this.
  14. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wow, Jason! They're both beautiful. Too bad about the lighter one.

9nein9, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  15. jtspartan

Love the laminations. Great work!

9nein9 and RyX like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

absolutely gorgeous..fine work sir..

17. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

What type of resin are you casting with?

9nein9, RyX and brit like this.
  18. jtspartan

Master Cast 1-2-1. Have made pours into 6 molds with it and 5 hardened perfectly. This was weird- only along the wood edge did it not harden.

9nein9, RyX and brit like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Maybe it's the wood that causes the reaction. :signs002:

:eatdrink013:

9nein9, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  20. jtspartan

You could be right. I’ve started to wonder the same thing, tbh. Only time using YaYa, and it only didn’t harden right along the wood line...

9nein9, RyX, Enrico and 1 other person like this.