What is the difference between these two Clubman Special Reserve?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by S Barnhardt, Sep 7, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I have ordered, and received my first Clubman Special Reserve, a picture of which is below this.

IMG_20190907_151406192.jpg

What I don't understand, however, is what the difference is between these two items beyond the bottle/label and price. They both say Clubman Special Reserve. Both are side by side on the website when you search for Clubman Special Reserve. A picture of the other, the one I didn't buy, is below for comparison and discussion.

clubman special reserve 2.jpg

Thanks!

RyX, johnnyflake and brit like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have never seen the bottom one. Interesting. I hope someone can say if it is a different scent.

RyX, johnnyflake and brit like this.
  3. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Got the one in your hand. The bottom one might be a difference in lighting, maybe, perhaps, could be?

johnnyflake, brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Green or brown? Lol
    I guess it was reserved on different days.

RyX, brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  5. S Barnhardt

While I'd never say never, I feel that's not the case. I say that for a couple of reasons. 1) The label is different. Similar, yes, but different. 2) The liquid, I'm thinking is a different color/shade. The one in my hand, which you say you have, is darker. I just looked at mine and the bottle is clear. The difference in color is the actual product/liquid. 3) The price difference. The one we both have is "almost" twice as much as the one that looks lighter and has the red/gold label as opposed to the brownish/gold label on the one we both have. There "has to be" a difference, I'd think. I'll just be darned if I can figure out what, though. And I want to know!

johnnyflake, brit and BigD like this.
  6. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

No idea. Only one way to find out, but where I am at it's next impossible to find out.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  7. S Barnhardt

What's that one way? Call/Email Pinaud? I just compared the ingredients listed on their website and they are the same.

brit, BigD and johnnyflake like this.
  8. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Personally, I think they are exactly the same, but bottled at different times. The labels are very different in many respects and it would be my guess that the darker bottling, has a darker container, making the product look darker than it is. Just saying!

brit, BigD, S Barnhardt and 1 other person like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

There was speculation about a reformulation. The old stock had a greenish color, while the new is more reddish brown. I see the lower photo has no bar code so I'm guessing it's a vintage bottle.

brit, BigD, johnnyflake and 1 other person like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

This is the frustration I had to deal with on my Rise Super Foam cans. The new owners presumably said "Let's change it up a little bit....the past is gone". It gave the same great results,but it wasn't the same thing that men loved from 1949-whatever year it ended.

brit, BigD, RyX and 2 others like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Same exact juice.

S Barnhardt, RyX, johnnyflake and 2 others like this.
  12. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Buy the different bottle.

RyX, brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. Only way to know for sure.

RyX, johnnyflake, brit and 1 other person like this.
  14. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Any updates? I have the darker bottle, and that’s the extent of my SR experience.

I’m trying really hard to fall in love with it, but it’s a slow going process.

S Barnhardt, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  15. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I believe that they are exactly the same, only the packaging has changed!

S Barnhardt, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It's a classic.

17. S Barnhardt

No, I'm just going along with it. It's my only Clubman experience.

brit, RyX, Paul Turner and 1 other person like this.
  18. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I know, that’s why I’m courting it so hard. Original Clubman is good to go, and so is the Booze series. Vanilla is pretty easy to like also (still getting adjusted to it a little), but Special Reserve is taking some effort. I’m wearing some today in fact. Today is house cleaning and lawnmowing, and a general fall preparations day. I know I won’t smell good unless I wear something strong, so SR seemed like a good choice.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is why it's known as the Indiana Jones of after shaves.

20. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

If Jack Palance played Indy there wouldn't have been enough Nazis left to start WWII.