September 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 30, 2019.

?

It's Stirling SEptember. Whatcha got planned??

1. Gonna use some great vintage single edge gear and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Gonna use a modern single edge or two and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Gonna mix it up with all kinds of single edges and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Gonna use whatever I feel like because hey, it's my shave so I'll enjoy it my way!! Duh!!

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  5. Straights baby, because I'm just that doggone good. Duh!!

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  6. Some SE's, some DE's, some other stuff, maybe Stirling, maybe not. Who knows?! Duh!!

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  7. Cookies and ice cream. That's all I'm here for. Stop hounding me to shave!!!!! Duh!!

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

The knots in the meet up brush are either a SynBad bulb or a Flattop synth. Both are 28 mm and both are from APShave Co. Yours is a flattop by the looks of it. The flattop is floppier, but maybe I didn’t set it deeply enough either.
    I’m torn with what to do for knots if/when there is a next time. Some want none, some want specific badgers or boars and others don’t want to build the brush themselves and are happy with the group decision.

2. brit

brit in a box

lovely shave Charlie..awesome new sc..

Linuxguile, RyX, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Moi?

Linuxguile, RyX, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

:D

Linuxguile, RyX, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

6. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir..

7. brit

brit in a box

cool stirling shave Bill..

8. brit

brit in a box

very cool Joe..

9. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks, Gary! It is rare that I simultaneously do face and head shaves.

10. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

So what’s the rules for October 1 that’s when I’m going to jump in and start posting sotd’s

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Ok boys and girls!! We have about 24.5 hours left in SEptember so let's have a great last day, but for those who just can't wait or are already looking at October 1 around the world....it's HERE!!!

Linuxguile, RyX, jtspartan and 9 others like this.
  12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The thread for OCtober is now open and ready to go. Link just above. The intro each month gives the specifics on rules and focuses as well as talking about the theme. Theme is always, of course, optional but just part of the fun. If you have any questions as we go along just ask away. Somebody or a group of somebodies will answer you and help you along! Should be a great month!

Linuxguile, RyX, jtspartan and 10 others like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Falling behind again, 452 posts to be exact. Well here is my catch up and summary report.

This is last group in my non-scientific sharpness feel test.

Rocnel SE-G I picked this one because of the thicker GEM blade and the razor has a firm grip on the blade so there is no flex. This razor felt a bit rough on the first two passes and one the ATG pass it was sharp enough to ge the job done but the least sharp edge of the month except for straight that need to be rehoned.

Joris with a Feather - This is the second shave with the Feather so maybe there is a little fall off. First two passes felt sharp and it was sharp ATG

Riga Razor 7/8, quarter hollow: This has a slight smile and it has a laser sharp edge the last time I used it. WTG it was smooth but you can feel the sharpness, ATG, look out this is as sharp as I remember.

Riga Razor 6/8 quarter hollow: This also has a sight smile and the last time I used it a fantastic edge. WTG it just smooth like velvet. ATG, be careful she is as sharp as they come. This has to be one the best honing jobs I ever did.

WTG: The Joris with a Feather was equal to the Riga 7/8 in sharpness feeling. Next was the Riga 6/8 which felt more smooth than sharp.

ATG upper lip and chin: Here the clear winner was the Riga 6/8, second to the Riga 7/8 and in a close third place was the Joris Feather combo.

My theory was that blade flex can make a razor feel sharper, since it was not a scientific test I confirm by bias, you blade flex seems to creat a feeling of being sharper. Is a DE blade really sharper than a straight razor? Well it depends upon how the blade was honed and how many shaves. I think a couple of my straights were sharper but it could all be just in my head.

The only noticeable difference to me is when I nail the edge and get a great edge there is nothing smoother and it as sharp as anything else. Bottom line, I can get the same final results regardless of DE, SE or straight as long as I have a good edge, heavy razor and it is an aggressive razor.

Rocnel SE-G
    IMG_7236.jpg

Joris

IMG_7229.jpg

Riga Razor 7/8 IMG_7234.jpg

Riga Razor 6/8
    IMG_7228 (1).jpg

b1hart, Linuxguile, RyX and 14 others like this.
  14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks Gary!

Linuxguile, Trigger, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I had some in alaska. They are on my list to hunt someday.

Linuxguile, RyX, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

lovely pics sir..

Linuxguile, RyX, Trigger and 6 others like this.
  17. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Fat-tober

Linuxguile, RyX, brit and 8 others like this.
  18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wonderful pictures and gear, Keith!
    I enjoyed following along with the sharpness trials.

Linuxguile, RyX, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

SEptember 30th
    Razor: Wunderbar slant
    Blade: Treet Platinum (3)
    Brush: PAA Green Ray
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: Stirling GLO
    Stirling mentholated witch hazel
    Stirling mentholated post shave balm
    AS: Stirling GLO

Stirling Slant September/Menthol Monday

Good morning!

Excellent shave to start the day! Three passes for near BBS. Silent alum.

Shave number thirty one and September is in the books. What a Stirling month it's been! At least one Stirling product was used with every shave and twenty eight of them had the matching soaps and splashes. All my SE's were used and half my slants, well I only have two slants so one of them got used.
    Terrific month of shaves and a terrific month on the thread!

Have a great day!
    [​IMG]

Linuxguile, RyX, jtspartan and 13 others like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Jim
    tp

Linuxguile, brit, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.