October 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2019.

?

And your OCtober plans include..........?

1. Using some great Open Comb razors and the Mighty Fat every Monday/Wednesday/Friday!

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Using some great Open Comb razors but no Fat. Something else on that end.

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Open Combs and the Fat on Tuesday/Thursday - just to be difficult.

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Still gonna shave with straights!

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Whatever I choose because I just roll that way!

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  6. Trick or Treating for cookies and ice cream!!

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

BOO!! It’s OCtober!!!

The Cartel welcomes you to the OCtober 2019 edition of the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread. SEptember was another recored breaker with a lot of fantastic SE razors in play as well as the usual assortment of straights and classic and modern DE’s. We also showed off a wide variety of Stirling soaps and products and that made it an even better month! I appreciate everyone who participates in this thread and am proud to be your mostly fearless if normally confused unofficial leader and janitor for the group. As for the record – I’ll post up those final numbers when they’re final – but WOW can we put up the numbers around here.

In OCtober we trade in the SE razors for the OC razors. The open comb models come out to play for those who choose and we get to see some classics both old and new. OC’s are a favorite of mine and I look forward to using my collection of them for the month. If you have some OC’s, break them out and give them the month to shine. Can’t wait to see some great gear out there.

In addition to open combs we are celebrating a classic soap. Mitchell’s Wool Fat is an old-timer and a great one. Someone mentioned it for this month, I saw the MWF and someone else saying maybe on MWF, so MWF on MWF was born! If you want to play alog then feel free to grab the Fat every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Don’t want to go that route? Then it’s “Odds & Ends” soap month as well. We all have those soaps that we like and keep in the den but don’t use all that often. Break them out, dust them off and give them some love this month. Don’t want to do either Oleo or Odds & Ends? That’s ok. YOu won’t offend us. There’s never any pressure to join in the theme. It’s still all about learning to shave, tightening up technique, trying new things and enjoying shaving YOUR way. Technique trumps tools! So pick your tools and let’s get going!

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! Jump in and let the friendliest and most knowledgeable bunch of people you'll ever meet help you along. Ask questions, show us your gear. There's nothing about shaving we don't like to see and hear. Even if you are just starting with a Dollar Tree razor and a cheap soap we value you along with everyone else and we want you to become a part of this great community. Watch out for the enablers hiding among us. (Actually it’s all of us) Those guys will have you stocking up on new stuff before you know what hit you! Devious bunch these Cartel groupies.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique that provides the basis for the use of the 30 Day Focus to sharpen skills and develop new skills altogether. Our quest is, as always, to be able to develop technique so solid and strong that we can overcome any tools that may be at hand. The great overarching philosophy is "Technique Trumps Tools." The only caveat....."unless the tools are defective." One can't use a broken blade or a razor that won't lock the blade down and expect success.

My personal mission has always been to push the limits of the tools, and my skills, to find out what, if anything is defective. Most of you have remained sane and found instead new and wonderful ways to shave. Some, perhaps unfortunately, have followed my lead lately, but hey, no pain no gain. At the same time, practice makes perfect, and we have already learned how bad equipment can be and still produce a great shave with proper technique.

Now, on to the facts in the words of the one, the only, @Bama Samurai : (Please rise) (Take off your hats) (Seriously, do I have to mention pay attention?) (Ok, be good and we’ll hand out extra cookies) (And yes, I’m aware of the recent “cookie debate”. Trust me. They’re real)

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Again, you’re free to follow the theme or go your own way. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie (seriously, we have them) and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out.

Rules are the same people.
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime. Don’t be shy.
    2. Previous/older/original/experienced members welcome as always. We know you aren’t shy.
    3. Respect everyone. Opinions are for sharing and learning.
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. After recent consideration, negative opinions about Russia blades will be allowed. Please be aware that the blade Cartel and Yakuza do employ spies. However, they’re usually drunk so probably no worries.

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to OCtober!! So first things first.....group hug………and off we go!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

AlDm, Linuxguile, clint64 and 13 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

20190929_172829_edited.jpg
    20190929_220713.jpg
    20190929_174007.jpg
    hello fello shavers,i am in for open comb OCtober.i will also be doing a Mitchell's wool fat focus ..here's a few of the OC family members.fun times ahead..happy shaves everyone..:)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in for OCtober and MWF on MWF. Looking forward to spending another month with you fine gentlemen!

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I'm in with one rule and one rule only...31 days of the FAT. Everything else is a free-for-all.

5. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Can we do a MWF weigh in?

I think it would be intersting to see soap usage over the month.*

*Yes, I know soap can take on water and get
    Heavier with initial usage but,
    it should cancel out as the month
    progresses etc. yawn...

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm in for The Fat. I rotate through my razors and brushes as I see fit. Only have one open comb - the Micromatic - so I'll use it at some point. Going to be a good month!

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I plan to use my NEW SC, Voskhod blades and work on finishing up the T&H Sandalwood cream. Everything else varies. I look forward to it!

View attachment 206626

8. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Thashavecave, clint64, RyX and 5 others like this.
  9. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

That's a beautiful razor, Charlie.

10. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I don't own any OC razors and I don't have the Fat. Last month, I only used my safeties. This month, I will only be using my straights and my Dovo shavette. It will be Open Blade October for me.

11. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

I'll be joining in on this one as well.
    I'm sticking with my 34c, i still have 16 days left with it. After that, i'll grab a tube of Arko and another razor.

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am in for October, although I am fairly certain not every shave will be a OC. I packed most of my raozrs, and only a couple of OC made it. I am going for a what ever goes month.

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That's an interesting idea. I know a few have done it individually in the past. I'll commit to doing it. Some hard (sort of) scientific (for us) data can't hurt!

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Primo @Primotenore going for the TREAT this month - no tricks! 31 days of the FAT is an awfully luxurious way to spend the month!

16. wristwatchb

Thank you, Joe. It's a fantastic shaver as well.

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The only thing better than a New LC might be the New SC. Very nice.

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm in for OCTOBER. Main focus will be more practice&strategy to cut out the hairs on my neck(well, to a degree, anyway-don't want any bloodshed if I can avoid it). October is my favorite month shave-wise, because it's when I do the honors of bringing my cold-weather soaps up to the front of the den, ready for the long winter ahead. I love my supply as it is, and I expect my "team"(no, not "program" as college feetball announcers say these days) to be around for a good many winters. And when one is done, I'll order another classic,( presumably from that company). Course there's always the possibility someone will ENABLE me.Or that I might enable MUHSELF-are ya listening, Bill Neumann&CO? But anyway, here's to another month of great shaves by us all :).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I see the pattern here. FAtocTober.

20. wristwatchb

Thanks Neal. I agree. The LC and SC are my two favorite vintage Gillettes.

I hope you are on the mend. Take care of yourself and get some rest this week. I'm sure the doc prescribed STL BBQ ribs for you and Jennifer later this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.