September 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 30, 2019.

?

It's Stirling SEptember. Whatcha got planned??

1. Gonna use some great vintage single edge gear and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Gonna use a modern single edge or two and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Gonna mix it up with all kinds of single edges and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Gonna use whatever I feel like because hey, it's my shave so I'll enjoy it my way!! Duh!!

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  5. Straights baby, because I'm just that doggone good. Duh!!

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  6. Some SE's, some DE's, some other stuff, maybe Stirling, maybe not. Who knows?! Duh!!

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  7. Cookies and ice cream. That's all I'm here for. Stop hounding me to shave!!!!! Duh!!

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thanks, Gents!

brit, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Lovely picture and great report, Rick!

I'll weigh my MWF (in the ceramic container) when I get home. I won't be using it daily but if I stick to plan It will get used for thirteen shaves. I use @PLAla method of blooming then I load the brush like I used to load my plate at an all you can eat buffet. Curious to see where I fall in with the rest of the pack.

brit, wristwatchb, Terry and 10 others like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Nice photo and report, Rick!

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'll try to remember and weigh mine as well. I've used it a couple of times so far but it was a new puck just recently. I grated it and pressed it into the ceramic dish.

brit, wristwatchb, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

My puck has twenty uses at this point. I'll try to remember to weigh it when I hit 31.

brit, wristwatchb, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking shave Rick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you, James. :)

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The last OneBlade I got will use Gem blades with just the spine removed. So I will continue to use it that way.

My SS OneBlade is a V2 and requires me to remove the spine and use a hole punch to enlarge the cutouts on a Gem blade. No big deal but it is more work. I think I’ll use the SS OneBlade with the Feather blades when I only want to use it for 3 shaves or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, 9nein9, Edison Carter and 8 others like this.
  9. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Looks like you've suffered from a unfortunate bout of P.L.S.

[​IMG]

brit, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  10. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Stupendous straight razor shave, Blair!

brit, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  11. Trigger

Evan, great shave, pic and line-up. The Dovo Special was my very first straight and it truly is a wonderful shaver. You hit all the check marks on this shave.

brit, MrEE, Edison Carter and 8 others like this.
  12. Trigger

Nice shave, pic and the gear and lighting that promotes the fall season Jason.

brit, Linuxguile, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  13. Trigger

Great summary, Rick!

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't let it become "work" Jason. Well, if you choose to go from hobby to full time, then by all means! If making brush handles, bowls, and soap dishes is a fun time deal there should be no stress.
    All "Rules" as far as what gear you use, when you start or finish are up to you. The 30 Day Plan can start on the first of the month with the set up of your choice. If you plan to use the same soap, brush, razor, brand of blades, and post shave product that's a "Rule". The other options are a "Focus" where you generally keep the same gear but swap in alternates to evaluate how it changes your results. Once you get your Technique down, are happy with grabbing any of your gear and get acceptable results then free form "Unfocused" is an option.
    You never are required to do the Theme as in Single Edge SEptember or Open Comb OCtober. Themes are there to keep the veteran 30 Day Crew rotating through their gear.
    :happy102::happy097::happy108:
    I know Clint @clint64.
    I have a text file of TSD members user/real names.
    Want a copy?

15. Trigger

I have concluded that you don't save any money from wetshaving. However, obtaining the different razors and shaving sundries is money well spent.

brit, wristwatchb, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  16. Trigger

I hate to remind you, but you hit 31 years ago, Jim!

brit, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Well said, Joe!
    No reminders needed.

18. Trigger

I am in the same boat, Jim! Lol!

19. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'm good, Rick. Was just lamenting that picking a group knot is, in my experience, the hardest part of the whole project. My opinion from the beginning has always been if I didn't want to do it, I wouldn't.

brit, wristwatchb, b1hart and 9 others like this.
  20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Excellent summary, Keith. I have enjoyed your sharpness tests this month. The Pics are nothing to sneeze at either.
    I live one hour from the Elk River, near the towns of Elkford and Elko...lets you know how many Elk are around here. Moose are much rarer. When I lived up north it was the opposite.
    Yes, Stirling SEptember has been a great month, Jim! Your pics are always a highlight as well.
    Interesting thoughts on the Gentleman, Perry. Great pic regardless!
    I always travel with a brush, Daniel. Even if I'm flying and taking a cart!
    I've said it before, but mean every word of it Clint- your photo recaps are a highlight of the thread. Just awesome.
    Interesting. Do you often get razors as spares, Terry? I haven't broken one yet where I would see the need. Have you?
    I'm enthralled by your vintage aftershave collection, Joseph! Any special tips for finding them, or do you just pay the going 'bay price?
    I'll be glad for you and the family when you get settled in this month, Jim!
    Now you're just showing off, and it isn't even OCtober yet, Gary!
    Very nice, Evan!
    Hope the kids feel better, Blair.
    I've never tried any PAA soaps or splashes, but if I did it would be to try that dupe of Brut!
    I hope that isn't their target audience...
    Awesome RickPic and write up! I'm a little different than you with soaps, Rick. I don't mind seeing an extra pass wash down the drain...

Keithmax, brit, wristwatchb and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.