Hone and Straight Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rev579, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I have a few straight razors-that I have no real idea of what to do with, but recently I ended up with a C. Klauberg & Bros. Hone. First, like straight razors, I don't know anything about hones either.
    After a week or so of trying to research this hone, all I could find is: VINTAGE STRAIGHT RAZOR HONE - YOKOMA RAZOR HONE W/ ORIGINAL WOOD BOX & INST | #1695628397

There isn't even one being sold on the 'bay, nor has there been in ages. So, any help, direct or indirect, would be greatly appreciated.

This is my straight inventory:
    Sept 2019 Straight Razors-smaller.jpg
    The Tonsonial Gem is above the C. Klauberg & Bros. Yokoma Razor Hone. I think while it might not be shave ready, it's close. But in the end, don't know.
    An old Boker & Co. with great looking scales and even the blade attachment looks cool, below the hone.
    Boker & Co. World Columbia Exposition, Chicago 1893 to the left of the hone. It needs a little attention.
    Sarginson Bros, might also be close to being shave ready, on the far left.
    A Wadsworth XLNT on the far right that is pretty dull.

I doubt I'll go down this rabbit trail, but would like to better understand what it is that I do have.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mvd, Billyfergie, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If I were you, I would choose two of the nicest shaped ones, and have them honed, professionally. Buy an inexpensive strop, and learn to shave, "Old School".
    You wont regret it.

3. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

No idea..sorry, but, if you ever decide to sell, I would be interested in the Glasgow one ( I am a Glaswegian) if the price was right, Tho I have no idea of the value, it would only be a curio to me. IMO you should keep em, and try clean them up a bit, there must be someone out there who knows some of the history and value.

Billyfergie and Rev579 like this.
  4. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I know a few things about US made Gillette razors, less about vintage Rubberset and Ever Ready Brushes, but I'm still trying to learn. the world of Straight razors, the history, typology, and understanding the varying levels of quality seems quite overwhelming. One of these days I hope to understand a bit more.

Billyfergie, Keithmax and brit like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That style of hone is a "Barber's Hone," what we would call nowadays a "finishing hone." It's used to put the final edge on a blade before stropping.

It won't make a dull razor sharp (not without a great deal of time) but it will make a sharp razor sharper.

I would say it's comparable to a vintage Swaty Hone, but I can't give you any specific brand information.

Edit: https://sharprazorpalace.com/razors/38932-c-klauberg-bros.html
    Not directly related to the hone, per se, but does give some company history. If your hone was made in the last year they were open, it would be about 70 years old. I'm guessing it's probably closer to 90-100 years old.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

David, this is Twelvefret. If you want to hone your own razors, I would be happy to help you. I use a combination of films and stones, but films alone will work. I would also be happy to hone a couple for you at no charge. I've done this for others and they claim the shave is good.

Films-$30
    Strop-$25-40 Illinois two part type
    Marble tile for honing $4
    Balsa-$5
    Diamond paste=$12

I can also clean the razors if you want, but I do not repair or tighten scales.

Billyfergie, Tanuki and Rev579 like this.
  7. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Thank you! It’s nice to at the very least have a starting point on the hone.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Thank you Chuck! I shoot you a PM

Billyfergie and Tanuki like this.
  9. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

Very generous. Good on ya’ mate!

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Not much more that I can add, ditto good deal Chuck. BTW, love that avatar, I’ve hiked West Prong many times, lovely trail indeed.

Billyfergie and Tanuki like this.
  11. Chuck Naill

So, park service is closing Laurel Creek road for tunnel repair around first of the year. Will access my weekly loop using the West Prong trail to Bote Mtn.

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I saw that, good for them though, I’ve seen icicles hanging from the tunnels in winter and ‘rain’ in the tunnels, and as a retired engineer, I know that can’t be good/last forever.

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. Chuck Naill

Yes and no complaints from me. I don't mind the added 5.7 mile additional miles with Winter temps. I've seen those icicles also. Freezing and thawing never good.

Billyfergie and Steve56 like this.
  14. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Thumbs up to @Chuck Naill ! I’m the beneficiary of one of his edges, the one on the SR he gifted me to finally get me off that straight fence. Thank you again, Chuck. (In spite of the SRAD - boyoboy do I have a honing backlog.)

15. Chuck Naill

I should set the record straight. @Steveclarkus had originally set the bevel. He gifted me the razor in 2018 when I was getting started. I simple maintained the razor for a year using films and later a Thuringian. I did 100 laps on 200 k diamond pasted balsa, 25 linen, and 50 horse hide before sending it to you, brother.

Edison Carter, Tanuki and Billyfergie like this.
  16. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

And now I’m using my 200k balsa and horsehide to keep that razor going strong. I particularly like the short blade and Spanish (?) point to work around the details of my facial hair.

So @Rev579 is in very good hands, with both you and @Steveclarkus on the case.

Edison Carter and Rev579 like this.
  17. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

Diamonds are forever - and razors.

18. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

The Sarginson scales look like either bone or ivory.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Unless, of course, the scales are made of finicky celluloid.
    Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 5.13.45 PM.png

Rev579, brit, Steve56 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Yikes!