Your suggestion for a complete Preshave/Shave/After package brand?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by S Barnhardt, Oct 4, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I'm in the mood to change my shaving "supplies." What I have is "OK", but I'm not 100% with it.

I'm presently using "no" preshave per se other than washing my face and leaving it wet. Never have, but not for any particular reason. It never crossed my mind until I got to reading some of the posts here. Now, I'm wondering if I've been missing something positive and wondering if I should start.

My current soap is "The Cowboy", a leather scent, from Old Town Soap Co using my Omega brush lathering in a wooden bowl. It's "OK", but I'm not sure that I couldn't be doing better.

My AS is Clubman Extra Reserve which is not bad, but I'm not what you would say "bowled over by it." My face sometimes feels a tad "uneasy" if I can use that term as a descriptor for this. Not necessarily irritated, but "uneasy."

My razor is a Harry's. At the present that's all I have.

So, like I said above, I'm tossing over changing the whole affair, at least as far as Pre/Shave/AS goes, and would like to go with something that's a total package like Proraso, but I'm not "locked in" to that. So, I'd like to hear suggestions from you learned folks. ???

Thanks!

:thanks:
    '

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    RyX and brit like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Stirling Soap Company. Tons of scents and everything is high quality.

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

You’ll find quite a few brands that have matching soap(or cream)/aftershave but only a handful that also offer matching preshave.

TOBS has a lot of good matching products and an excellent gel preshave but the preshave is only available in herbal scent.

Maggard offers half a dozen PSO’s in different scents so I often try to match them to my soap of the day.

RyX, S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i love the proraso sets. i use the green for summer and red during the cooler months..the wood and spice single edge line is fantastic as well..

5. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Cella?

RyX, S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I enjoy the Green preshave / tubbed shave soap / aftershave splash. It's strong menthol starting off and tapers down for the finish. Also enjoy the Red shave soap and splash for the sandalwood without other strong cologne scent added, & working on getting the PSS. The preshave can also be used as post shave balm from what I understand, though I haven't tried that. For me the package of products from the same company works well.

I've also used Col Conk lime soap as a leave on preshave, then RazoRock WTP lime shave soap. I finish with Pinaud Lime Sec or Citrus Musk to keep the lime theme.

Both brands of PSS are heavy glycerin content that gives extra slip for shaving. I tried Shave Secret PS oil for a month's shaves. Found it did nothing for my shave and had a slight bay rum scent that I disliked.

brit, Edison Carter and S Barnhardt like this.
  7. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I've never tried any preshave except proraso white. The only preshave I use is if I happen to bloom a soap, I'll splash the bloom water on my face before lathering (only with very hard soaps)

just washing with a glycerin soap also works well

Mickey Lee (rip) had all 3
    Stirling as mentioned
    Chiseled Face
    PAA
    Saponificio Varesino, whose soaps are much more talked about, makes a preshave and aftershave as well. I've used their aftershave and it's nice, they call it a balm but it's runny and much closer to a splash IMO. They make unique, but classic and elegant scents, that are on the mild side.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    brit, Edison Carter and S Barnhardt like this.
  8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Personally, I wouldn't stress too much on pre shave. If you really want one, there are some good recipes in the tutorial section. These probably work as well as just about anything out there. As far as matching sets, o find I really like either Stirling or PAA. WSP also makes some good products.

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Did you mean Clubman SPECIAL Reserve??

10. S Barnhardt

I do!! Pardon me!

Paul Turner likes this.
  11. S Barnhardt

I used to work part-time in an ABC store (state run spiritous alcohol/liquor outlet). That's probably where that came from. Higher end brands often had varieties like that!
    :eatdrink047:

Paul Turner likes this.
  12. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

just wait til you try the clubman 18 year

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I was wondering why their website keeps sending me "deals"...although they didn't mention a "new" aftershave. Not biting just yet, as I have a good stock of Ed's(Pinaud)stuff.

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

15. brit

brit in a box

neat or on the rocks..;)

16. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

My fave routine is

Proraso menthol pre-shave
    Stirling shave soap
    Proraso menthol after shave balm
    Stirling Aftershave splash.

I like the menthol, the smell, and the nongreasy soothing feel of the Proraso stuff. I don't need to use much of either.

I match all of the scents on Stirling soaps and AS,you don't really have to. I think soap scents are short lived anyhow.

I like Stirling splashes. Great choice in fragrances. Contains alcohol AND witch hazel. For me it is a feels good, works good, smells good, fun variety.

If I'm in a rush, I drop the Proraso.

brit likes this.
  17. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

brit, Edison Carter and Kilgore Trout like this.
  18. S Barnhardt

Don't know which part of the world you are in, so if this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll elaborate?

How about a nice, vintage Mad Dog 20/20 in a fresh, crisp, neatly turned down brown paper bag?

:happy036:

19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I agree that a pre-shave product is superfluous. Focus on a great soap/as combination. Yes, Stirling has a myriad of products from which to choose. I have a few and they are very nice. There are many, many excellent soaps that won't break the bank: Noble Otter, Mystic Water are two that have excellent reputations and perform wonderfully. Aftershave products are somewhat personal and it's difficult to recommend. The Proraso green is excellent. Bay rum has been around forever and there are wonderful options. The "barbershop" scents are always popular. You can still find Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso on the internet, which is a powdery, menthol splash, which I find appealing. With so many options, it can be overwhelming.

brit, S Barnhardt and Edison Carter like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i am in canada .but i don't know about mad dog..:)

S Barnhardt likes this.