Anyone getting in on the Ascension?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ambrose21, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I have to admit, the copper looks pretty good. This is intriguing.

2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

The copper is beautiful. Saw it at The Big Shave Southwest. It's anodized, so you don't have to worry about patina or polishing. The handle is just a bit long for my taste, but is probably just right for most.

Shaver X and Str8on2 like this.
  3. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Just went live about an hour ago. Yup, I pulled out the plastic.... :angry032: ;)

Hembree likes this.
  4. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

And just like that it's Sold Out. Did you see if they had the Stainless Ascension in stock yesterday? At the Big Shave Swest they had both at the booth. I got the Copper one there. It definitely is a beauty. I've been so busy this past week I haven't been able to snap any pictures.

5. Str8on2

I’ve had this thing for nearly a month and still haven’t shaved with it. Today, that changes as I’m going to give it a go and see how it turns out.

I like the box and presentation. Pretty nice if you ask me. Review to follow......

30F176C3-6C92-48E1-89A9-276A5DBD820C.jpeg
    0DE47BA1-A02C-4F3A-BFA7-0EA8650603E0.jpeg
    1CD6D72F-D2B2-4A84-8C54-FA8E2210A282.jpeg
    DA679FDA-EA7E-4C80-B0CC-948B422473E4.jpeg
    98B2B899-F332-495C-BD29-492715C753F6.jpeg

BigD, Shaver X, brit and 2 others like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Str8on2 and Hembree like this.
  7. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

It sure is. I've had one too. Been moving houses so not gotten the time to break it out either...

Str8on2 and Linuxguile like this.
  8. Str8on2

If you’ve seen the reviews on the SS version, it’s pretty much the same as that. Only difference is in the weight of the Copper over the Stainless. It still is nicely balanced and the extra heft I feel actually aided in the shave a bit. Still very smooth and efficient feeling throughout the whole shave. And of course the beauty of the whole thing is the dual open comb design. It just allows for that bit of lather to come along on every stroke as the razor and blade just glides effortlessly across ones face. Fit and finish is excellent and I think that this handle actually feels just a tad less grippier than the Stainless or Aluminum version. But, it still feels fine in the hands and it never felt like it was going to slip or fall out of my hands.

If you have the Stainless or Aluminum I think there really is no need for the Copper version unless of course, you don’t happen to have a copper razor in your possession. If you missed out on either of the first two, the Copper Ascension would be a fine pick up. If, they become available again.

F2EA1839-3A9E-48D0-BC6A-F9A05278EE36.jpeg

BigD, brit and Linuxguile like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

Str8on2 likes this.
  10. Str8on2

One of the best modern open comb (dual open comb mind you) razors made to date. Superb smoothness and efficiency. Not much is said about the PAA Ascension series of razors but, you’d be wrong to discount this as just another razor in the sea of open combs. This razor right here, the Copper Ascension is a heck of a deal for what it brings to the shave table, performance wise.

It matters not what razor you may have. The Ascension takes a back seat to no one. That’s how good these razors are. Love it.....

10B89439-7F18-415B-9635-8DC4232B300F.jpeg

BigD, brit, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

The copper version is selling out very quickly. I can't seem to catch them. I always get the notice when I am unavailable to look, and by the time I check, they are gone.

Linuxguile likes this.
  12. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

Been reading for awhile and now my first post.

I saw the pics of the Copper Ascension posted earlier in this thread, and promptly ordered one
    When it arrived I was delighted at the beauty, fit, and finish.
    Yesterday I put a New Gillette Silver Blue and cautiously began to shave.
    I was absolutely stunned at how smooth the shave was! I'm still an old newbie so I did only 2 passes because I was afraid of the double comb system.
    I just Let the weight of the razor do the work and I actually had to FEEL the first side of my face to see if indeed it was cutting hair. Well, it certainly WAS. And very efficient. No burn, weep, cuts: nothing.

I was on my second shave with a Saponeficio V and the combo was PERFECT.

I recently bought 4-5 vintage razors and have only about 10 shaves on my belt. Not enough to evaluate but now I'm satisfied spending the $100 on it.

Today I received a NOS 1961 Fatboy and a 48-49Aristocrat in excellent shape which I will compare it to.
    As I am 76 and retired, I'm having FUN trying all these razors.

I'm trying to "Grab all the Gusto" I can before I check out.
    Mitch

Moose, jluc, MR41 and 2 others like this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hi, and welcome.

But pics are almost certainly required for such a great post.

14. Str8on2

Enjoy the journey and shaves my friend..... :happy096: :happy088:

15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Welcome to TSD!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

16. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

Thanks for the welcome, guys!
    I'm going to venture a shave with a KAI tomorrow since all went so well with the Silver Blue several times.
    Perhaps I'll even try a Feather after 2 or 3 times with the KAI.

Also, I'm enjoying the Asylum Saponificio so much, I'm probably going to pick up the 70th Anniversary.

17. Str8on2

No such thing with the Ascension in all three iterations in my stable. Equal tolerances on both sides. Same thing with their big brother, DOC EVO SS. The whole family is finely machined and executed....

86FF1C94-BAEE-4896-B657-782ADB86EE7D.jpeg

BigD and brit like this.
  18. Str8on2

A superb shave today with the SS Ascension. So smooth yet very efficient. Cleared 2 days growth in 3 passes with no touch ups or buffing of any kind. A very well done and designed razor that packs a heavy but, refined punch. Truly an amazing shaver....

B0B12631-5EA6-41D2-97C0-5EDB764B9053.jpeg

Paul Turner, brit and BigD like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

cool shave and pic Gus..

Str8on2 likes this.
  20. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I finally caved. I'll be testing out my new Cu Ascension this weekend.