Your suggestion for a complete Preshave/Shave/After package brand?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by S Barnhardt, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

The liquor was dirty but the bag was clean.

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  2. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Okay! I shall try to explain!

Mad Dog 20/20 or more correctly called MD 20/20 is a 20% alcohol wine, at least it used to be 20%, sold by Mogen David hence the "MD", who actually sells some respectable wines. But Mad Dog isn't one of them. It's hard core, relatively cheap "wino wine.". You can buy it in the beer and soda cooler in a convenience store.

Latherin’ Luddite and brit like this.
  3. S Barnhardt

And you would be right!
    LOL

Latherin’ Luddite likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i had never heard of MD wine before..but winos with bagged booze,seen lots of that ..misunderstood the context..:)

Kilgore Trout and S Barnhardt like this.
  5. S Barnhardt

I "think" you probably took it the right way. It was intended as a "tongue in cheek", "smart aleck" response to a suggestion of "high brow" alcohol consumption.

I.E. Good, aged single malt on the one hand with Mad Dog 20/20 in a brown bag on the other. "opposites?"

Street person could "panhandle" a minor, few bucks on the street and buy a bottle of Mad Dog which the store would put in "a paper bag" and said street person will get just as plastered as the refined gentleman, assuming you are male that is, like yourself would get with "good likker."

I include this as a way of partial clarification/explanation. Notice the large variety of "flavors" which still only cost, according to a quick "Google" search right at $5 a 750ml/fifth ? size bottle.

The MD actually stands for its producer, Mogen David, however, it is widely known as "Mad Dog". Originally, 20/20 stood for 20 oz @ 20% alcohol.

mad dog.png

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Latherin’ Luddite and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

:)

7. Kilgore Trout

Does anyone remember Boone's Farm?

S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i remember the name..

S Barnhardt likes this.
  9. Kilgore Trout

Aged one week in a bathtub.

10. Kilgore Trout

We really hijacked this poor fellas thread. :eatdrink047:

11. S Barnhardt

Ah yes! Boone's Farm was the "proper society", young folks's, brand of cheap, low alcohol content wine.
    According to Google, it's still made, but is now "malt based" instead of the apple wine based item it used to be.

Shaver X and Kilgore Trout like this.
  12. S Barnhardt

Don't look at it as a "hijack", but rather as an exploration of alternative substitutions for AS. After all, it is alcohol based, is it not? LOL

brit likes this.
  13. Kilgore Trout

Indeed!

S Barnhardt likes this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

@S Barnhardt, if you have a local Art of Shaving store nearby, you can get samples that have pre-shave oil, shaving cream, and aftershave balm. My experience with these is that the pre-shave oil makes my shaves less close and makes a rather oily mess. It is a zero cost way to try some new products and see if the pre-shave oil works well for you. Their shaving cream and aftershave balms are both top notch, but pricey. If you look around a bit, equally great products can be found at a much lower price point. They do have a Bourbon scent, in case that is important. ;)

I have heard some people say that Musgo Real Glyce Lime pre-shave soap works well, so that might be worth trying. That is next on my list of things to try. The Ach Brito Glyce Lime Soap looks like it is the same thing.

If you haven't tried it already, Kiss My Face Moisture Shave is a great shaving cream. The skincare is so good, I often don't use aftershave. The pump bottle is reasonably priced, the small travel size less so. Whole Paycheck (Whole Foods) sells it, or at least used to. It is also available on Amazon.

Hope this helps!

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  15. S Barnhardt

@Shaver X I've never heard of Art Of Shaving, I'll see what I can find out about them.

brit likes this.
  16. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

As close as i am likely to get..

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  17. S Barnhardt

It does help!

I Googled "The Art Of Shaving" and found they have 2 stores in North Carolina. One in the Southpark area of Charlotte and one in Raleigh. Charlotte location would be roughly 1 to 1 plus hours away and Raleigh 2 to 2 plus hours away. Both depending on traffic. But it does give me a name to keep my eyes open for.

Are there any other "shaving oriented" national chains around?

18. Kilgore Trout

Not that I am aware. However, younger barbers around here carry some 'artisan' stuff and Burlington(the one time coat factory) has the Proraso line locally. Believe it or not, the Christmas Tree Store sells the Veg amongst other shaving supplies in these parts.

Shaver X and S Barnhardt like this.
  19. S Barnhardt

:eatdrink013: So.......A fellow just never knows, huh?? :eatdrink013:

They "are" building a new Burlington 15 minutes roughly from me. Maybe I'll get lucky!!

Shaver X and Kilgore Trout like this.
  20. Kilgore Trout

I forgot. Target has the full Cremo line.

Shaver X and S Barnhardt like this.