Horsehair

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Kilgore Trout, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I wonder why they never really "caught" on in the wet shaving forum world. I like my Vie-Long butterscotch.

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Anthrax bacteria. If I recall the details, during WW1 supply chains got interrupted so alternative sources of horse hair was used. Some of it wasn't properly sterilized. A U.S. Federal employee (maybe a Senator?) died. Also some less well know common citizens caught the disease. This was before antibiotics so there wasn't much in the way of a cure. That's why you see early 1900's brushes marked "Sterilized". Even today anthrax is present in the soil and can be spread by horses, but it's not the epidemic issue of the early 1900's.

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Well then, issue them to Congress! :scared003:

4. Grick

Grick Active Member

Probably because the vast majority prefer badger and boar. Horse is very scratchy.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The one true horse knot I had became very tangled upon first use. It was a pain to detangle.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use the bestshave #6 horse hair brush..There is debate about it being horse or boar, but ether way the price is right and mine has worked very well for me for many years. I liked it enough and it was inexpensive enough to order several so I would have spares. :happy088:

Also mine has never tangled..

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  7. Grick

Grick Active Member

You cannot make circling motions with a horse because they tangle up that way. Only straight motions.

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

You can do circular motions if you comb out the knot every shave or two

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

9. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

The only horse hair brush that I own is the Cremo Vie Long that I acquired at Target a few years ago. It was on clearance.

Though I don't use it as much as my other (boar and badger) brushes, I do NOT baby this brush.

I mostly face lather. And I swirl, paint and pump with this brush, just like my others. It works fine. I DO however use a comb to detangle before putting it away.

It is relatively small (short hair) knot, so maybe that helps. But I think it does a fine job and produces good lather.

I just like the feel or boar or badger better.

YMMV.

Kilgore Trout and Linuxguile like this.
  10. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I have and use a Vie-Long 12705. While I prefer my badgers and boars, the horse hair brush whips up a ton of lather and I've never had it tangle up and I certainly don't baby it.

I do find it a bit too soft and too floppy but it does the job.