Your idea of a perfect shaving bowl surface is?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by S Barnhardt, Sep 13, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I'm trying to determine the best style of working surface to put on the interior of a wooden shaving bowl. In addition, should it be just on the bottom, or up the sides to some degree as well?

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on this along with why this is the case, or even why not a particular surface. And if you have a picture to include as a way of illustration, that would be even better.

:lyrtuy5:

RyX and brit like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I don't know what could be considered ideal, since that's probably one of those "eye of the beholder" things. But I would want a textured surface on the sides as well as the bottom. As a brush swirls around, it is likely to contact the sides and bottom.

brit, S Barnhardt and Paul Turner like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I don't know about a bowl, but I'm beginning to see a lot of soap on the sides of my coffee/Burma Shave mug as I continue with my Burma Shave Soap.

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  4. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Don't really matter imho.
    A smooth bowl is easier to clean.....

5. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

S Barnhardt, brit, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oh, I missed this thread first time around. I keep seeing other bowls with a variety of textures, but I've found one that works well for me. Not sure if it can be adopted to wooden bowls without issues like splinters or difficulty sealing the surface. A repurposed kitchen device from Japan - the suribachi. It's primarily used to grind sesame seeds into a paste with a wooden pestle.
    Suribachi bowl.gif
    The bowls are available in many sizes that can be chosen for comfortable palm size. There are variations on shape but generally they are wide & shallow.
    suribachi.gif
    The texture of the unglazed inner ceramic surface was the key that got me into them. Shallow grooves combed into the full interior except for the top 1/2 inch or so.
    Suribachi from Sparrow Black.gif

Hembree, kumachan, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  7. BlueShaver

They look like brush tip manglers:happy102:

Hembree, RyX, S Barnhardt and 2 others like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Hembree, RyX, S Barnhardt and 2 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i have 2 bowls with ridged surfaces,the captain's choice heavy copper and the ceramic stonefield shaving blue bowl.i also have a white bowl with nickels glued in the bottom..the rest are smooth..i like both types .preference-either for me..i do like metal as they are unbreakable and easy upkeep..

Hembree, Edison Carter, RyX and 3 others like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I use one of these I picked up at the thrift store.
    s-l1600-11.jpg

:eatdrink013:

Hembree, RyX, S Barnhardt and 3 others like this.
  11. BlueShaver

Heh.

I use a soup bowl!
    [​IMG]

Hembree, RyX, S Barnhardt and 3 others like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

my first shave bowl. 1950s fire king peach luster soup/chili bowl.. 20191006_131324.jpg

Hembree, jtspartan, RyX and 4 others like this.
  13. johnnyflake

Hey Brit, the one with the nickles glued to the bottom, sounds really neat. I love to see a photo of it, if you can.

14. brit

brit in a box

here you go..just a cheap corningware bowl .nickels are glued in using marine epoxy.. 20191006_140134.jpg

15. johnnyflake

Thanks Brit,

That's simple, but I'll bet, very effective. I like it! That has giving me an idea to pursue.

16. brit

brit in a box

thank you.someone else here had something similar so i tried it.works well..

17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

This thread solidifies my decision that it was a good move to face lathering.

Hembree, S Barnhardt, RyX and 2 others like this.
  18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Funny...
    I was thinking the same thing.
    ;)
    tp

Hembree and S Barnhardt like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

glad you like it..:)

Hembree, S Barnhardt and RyX like this.
  20. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Now to get those super-glued nickels off my cheeks.