Atra: the Best of the Carts

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Jayaruh, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I used the Atra for a long time before the Gillette came out with their mach 3 cart. I used that until they came out with the Fusion. I tried the Fusion and took it back. Cart prices were out of hand IMHO, so I looked for alternatives. Therefore, in 2011 I turned to vintage razors. However, in 2016 I found this beautiful Atra at a flea market and snatched it up. I remembered how I liked it. I shaved with it for about a week and then went back to DE and SE razors.
    [​IMG]

Today, I broke out the Atra for a wonderful shave. It gives an easy, close shave, and it is a pleasure to use. The biggest drawback is the two blades where hairs want to get stuck between. It takes a bit more rinsing to keep it unclogged. It's the same issue with the Gillette Twin injector blade.

[​IMG]

It has been almost three years since I shaved with this razor. I am glad to revisit it.

sod190924.JPG
    zcws.jpg

Cold Water Rinse
    Tabac Shave Soap
    Jayaruh #224
    Gillette Atra
    Dorco Comfort Thin II
    CWS
    Tabac AS

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Tabac Shave Soap face lathered well with the Jayaruh #224 Brush. I did two passes with the Gillette Atra razor with a Dorco Comfort Thin II Blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Tabac AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    gorgo2, GatorJoe, jwr3265 and 8 others like this.
  2. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

(Reserved)

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Best "Cart" razor I ever owned. Loved the handle.

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

The original cartridges that lacked any of the 'strip' stuff were much better than the current one size fits all 2 bladers.

A center pivoting mechanism with that very small footprint is now only available as NOS.

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Have you seen what this brush gets on Ebay???? Crazy.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have some of the old carts and I agree. The non-lube strip is the best version. Well...the adjustable trac ii carts are better, but are a bit tougher to find.

Edison Carter likes this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I use the simpler Trac II occasionally and love it. It is my "go to" travel razor. I'd definitely consider getting a vintage Atra handle sometime.

GatorJoe and Edison Carter like this.
  8. DE Cartman

DE Cartman Well-Known Member

It's all in what you prefer. For me, Mach 3 Turbo is the gold standard. I rate the SkinGuard just a hair above the M3 Turbo and the 5 blade Personna very close to the M3 Turbo.

9. Edison Carter

In my traveling days, I became a carry on only guy.

Airline sends your checked luggage a day late once and you cannot ever forget it.

In the same situation today. I'd carry a Gillette Guard (one blade pivot) or a Gillette Skin Guard (2 blade fusion style).

I'll never use the remaining Mach 3 cartridges I have in stock. I probably pull it out once a year to remind myself why I hated shaving. It always irritates, and almost always generates an ingrown or 2.

Of course YMMV.

:cool:

Terry, BigMike and brit like this.
  10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive got my birth year Atra razor and its a good shave, blades for them can be kind of hard to find and expensive though. For me, the Mach 3 has always been the gold standard. Its always a smooth, close shave. The only problem with that is now that Mach 2 carts arent made in the USA anymore.
    So now Im looking at Schick, maybe a Hydro 3 when I use up all of the Mach 3 and Fusion 5 carts that I have on hand. If my only option in Gillette blades that are made in the USA is the $40 Fusion Proglide/Proshield, I'll be going to Schick.

11. Edison Carter

Never complain about the cost of multi blade carts....... it could worm hole you to the galaxy of single bladed shaving devices....... that you need miltiples of.
    ;)

12. brit

brit in a box

sooo true...:D

Kilgore Trout and Edison Carter like this.
  13. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Amen to that. I did the DE for 3 years under the guise of saving money before I realize that I wasnt saving a dime.

Kilgore Trout, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  14. BlueShaver

Repost from SOTD:

[​IMG]

I haven't used this in decades?? How many shaves can i get out of a cartridge (NOS Gillette Contour/Atra plus)

15. DE Cartman

DE Cartman Well-Known Member

I usually get about 5 two pass shaves with Atra carts.

16. BlueShaver

Just 5 huh?

At 2 quid a cartridge (here at least), that's expensive shaving!

Thanks for the reply :)

17. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I still dig a simple Bic Metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

What modern blade options do we have for this? What about other brand, Personna and Schick makes blades that can be used with the ATRA, correct? What other brands do? What are the best performers of the modern day available ATRA compatible blades?

Wife was not digging the SE or DE switch. So got her a Gillette Just Whistle, the women's ATRA.
    atra.jpg

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

An old toothbrush scrubbed between the blades will extend the usable life of any cart, especially Atra and T-II.

20. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Trac II was my go to in the late ‘80’s and early’90’s. I liked the fixed head better.