Dating chart for your GEM/Ever-Ready/Star razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 1, 2014.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup! It's those darn stainless blades too. They will smooth out soon.

2. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I'll absolutely concur with this.

Gem stainless SE blades are wicked sharp, long lasting but can be a bit harsh for the first few shaves.

I've recently started mixing in carbon blades, specifically Pal Super, and they are SMOOOOTH. Though, only getting 1/2 to 2/3 the amount of shaves compared to stainless.

3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

The only SE razor that I have that simply will not give me a close shave is the Featherweight. The 1912 from GEM/Ever-Ready/Star is a Much better razor! :happy088:

jmudrick likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The cost of admission is so low with vintage SEs it makes a whole lotta sense to try another razor if one doesn't suit. I don't like it either.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The PAL super is awesome. I think I get as many shaves as a SS though. Where do you source your blades.

6. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I picked up a few packs of Pals on that large auction site, along with a few other blades.

I wanted to compare the Gem Blue Star, Treet, Pal Super and local CVS (AccuTec) blades. Not a whole lot of difference between them, but I did really enjoy the Pal Super if only because it looked different than the others with its bluing. :p

7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have wondered too. No one talks about him and his profile is missing ...

TobyC likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

He's still posting on Instagram.

9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Oh. I don’t do Instagram . But that’s cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Ok, now I do not know where I am or where I am going, but I have never been lost until now, so what is my Gem JR in all this? I thought it was a pre 1920
    razor. gem jr small.jpg

Jim99, Jorvaljr and chrisgeeo like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

If it's a Gem Cutlery it is pre 1920. The name reappears all over the place.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Not missing, from reading the message, apparently he doesn't want his profile viewable.

Looks like his last post was from July 30 of 2017.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  13. Fredric M. London

Fredric M. London New Member

14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Take a look on the back of the razor and you should see a patent date. It looks like a 1901. Can you post a few more pictures and include the back and where the handle screws into the head.

I do miss darkbulb. He had a treasure trove of knowledge.

15. Gene

Gene New Member

Hi, joined this site just because I found this thread and wanted to ask a question.
    I have a 1912 Ever Ready SE with "ornate" handle, it says "Ever-Ready" on the back, "Pat. 1912" around where handle screws into the razor, and "Ever-Ready Made in U.S.A." under the lid, on the non-movable part.

From the info in this thread it seems that this razor would have been produced between 1930 and 1933 ? Is this correct ?

Thanks !

16. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

That's the GEM Junior 1900/1901, there is a non bar version of it also called the GEM Junior 1900. The often seenGEM JR BAR with the short wooden handles followed the model you have.

From Left to Right:

Gem Junior 1900, Gem Junior 1900/1901 (has bar), ASR/STAR 1900/1901 (has bas) & Gem Junior Bar 1900/1901.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    IAmTheJody and Edison Carter like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Bump 2 yrs later but anywayI see them at least as late as 1936 as here (Nov.36)[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  18. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Hate to show my ignorance :signs081: but what is TSR ?:signs081: Thanks

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Shaving Room, aka the British Isles hangout. Pretty much a duplicate of this place, same amount of foreigners, more or less, with the average numbers of Americans and Brits flipped.

Quite a few members from here post there as well, and vice versa.
    https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/

cpool222 likes this.