RFB - Raised Flat Bottom NEW Type. Owners and shavers experience.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Red Rider, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    Primotenore and Morman Bridge like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Not one you asked about but I have a 1934 Red and Black DeLuxe. There were 2 variants of mine a 15mm and 17mm. This refers to the distance across the bottom plate between the teeth. Mine is a 15mm. I find it to be a bit more efficient than my New LC and smoother as well.

[​IMG]

brit, RyX, lloydrm and 4 others like this.
  3. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello Red Rider, of the razors mentioned, I own the New Belmont Deluxe. It is the 15mm version if I recall correctly. I also own a Red & Black New Deluxe. These razors are of the New Deluxe variety , and not the Raised Flat Bottomed variety. I wish I had a number 88 set. But I do have a number 44 set RFB New. In my journeys I also acquired a Rotbart Mond Extra RFB New. Rotbart was a German company associated with Otto Roth, that Gillette acquired in the 1930's. They produced several models of RFB News. There is some discussion as to whether Gillette invented the RFB, or the Rotbart company invented it. At any rate the Rotbart and Gillette RFB razors are identical. Many people say the Rotbart RFB shaves the same as the Gillette RFB. In my opinion, it's too close to call. As far as the New Deluxe compared to the RFB, I think the RFB is a smoother and more efficient razor than the New Deluxe. I will be interested to hear everyone's opinion on this. Thanks for the topic, and have a great night.

RyX and Red Rider like this.
  4. Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin Member

I have a 2pc #88 and it is one of my favorite vintage NEWs .They are very smooth and efficient shavers, it is one of the few razors I can use day after day with no irritation and it likes most blades

Glenn

Red Rider and Morman Bridge like this.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Excellent responses guys, thanks for your input. Fortunately or unfortunately I am now on a quest. RFB be it Gillette or Rotbart Mond 2 or 3 piece seem intriguing and warrant a try. [Man I got to stop reading about cool stuff :)]

RyX and BigCabDaddy like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

hello fello shavers,i know its an old thread but.....i have a 1930 criterion new deluxe 2 piece with serial # on the blade plate.left.on the right is a #44 rfb new 3 piece with hollow handle ,made for the french market.to me they are both classy looking razors. does anyone have a favorite? to quote alice cooper..(which ones the smoothest, which ones the best...) 20180331_192807.jpg

MacDaDad, RyX, Jorvaljr and 1 other person like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Rotbart is here.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  8. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

I have found the RFB to be my favorite NEW. Perhaps my favorite open comb. 20180418_163543.jpg

BlueShaver and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

very nice razor.the handle on mine has worn threads so i don t use the handle.very nice condition.

10. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

The Deluxe is a great looking razor but, IME, the shave quality goes to the RFB. We had a 1on1 a while ago: you shave 1/2 your face with one, and 1/2 with the other then switch next day. Interesting experience. You should try.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i will try that out,thank you.

lloydrm likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

i like the rfb and new deluxes. hard to pick a favorite.. deluxes are heavier..

13. brit

brit in a box

20190603_175814 (3).jpg

clint64 likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

very cool Clint ,do you stil have it?

clint64 likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

20191013_085519.jpg

PanChango and clint64 like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

No Gary. I sold the razor several years back.

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

ok sir..thank you..

clint64 likes this.