Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jaro, Oct 16, 2019.

1. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Me too!

Injector & SE Party !!!

brit likes this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Least they could do is use their original razor head and bar guard design instead of passing off a Yaqi as their own. bad enough they aren't making it themselves which would be heritage also instead of using a third party to make it or rebrand their existing product. Nothing heritage about this. The execution of this concept so misses the mark it ain't funny for that reason alone.

RyX, BlueShaver and brit like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

A Gillette Sterling is more heritage than this turd.

brit likes this.
  4. BlueShaver

Absolutely. 1st thing that came to my mind was the lack of Gillette Tech-nology in it which is plain wierd and thus why i think its not really genuine. (A licensed effort at best).

A 1st gen 1904 tuned for modern blades would have been more appropriate.

RyX, kjbarth and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

:D

6. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

The best thing about Gillette releasing a new DE razor?

A good kick for the DE blade manufacturing/production arena.

jaro, BlueShaver and brit like this.
  7. BlueShaver

I am man enough to admit when i am wrong! :innocent

jaro and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

a way to test the market as well..the head is well known and liked by many,readily available..could lead to more in a half full kind of way..

jaro likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The only good thing that might come out this is Walmart will stock other DE blades besides those crappy Van Der Hagen blades.

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

As far as Gillette SE razors the Autostrop Valet razors made after the 1930 merger would be considered Gillette SE razors like the VC3 and VC4. Not only that some them also had Autostrop division of Gillette stamped on the razor heads.

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

yes sir..:)

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here are those Gillette Autostrop SE razors. You can see the Gillette name on the razor heads.

First the VC3

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next is the VC4

[​IMG] [​IMG]

brit likes this.
  13. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I just looked at the weight of this razor. They claim it weighs 1.04 ounces; that’s a little over 29 grams in weight. Sounds like a very lightweight razor; too light if you ask me.

brit likes this.
  14. Erchy

Erchy New Member

Looks like a DE89 head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN, Angelo85 and brit like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yep. The Gillette TechMatic. A classic. Kind of filled the gap between the old DE razors and the Trac II days.

brit likes this.
  16. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I went and tried the head on all of my bar handles(thin, slim, uncommon, & deluxe) and they all felt ill-balanced. Kind of bummed now. Using the '48-'51 Aristocrat case is a good look, along with the Cambridge handle, but if they wanted a closed comb/safety bar, they could have used the Hybrid Tech head, and it would have been a winner for sure.

cliffb599 and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

:)..yes sir..

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah, I'm not that much a fan of the head to begin with, and if the handle is comparable to the orginal CBH (ie light) it's the most misfit of handles Gillette ever "designed", and I use that word charitably.

Angelo85, cliffb599 and brit like this.
  19. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have been reading a lot of negative comments on this new Gillette razor. And I dont think this negativity is warranted.

This is a novelty razor, issued as a commemorative in the spirit of the glory days of the early Gillettes.

Guys are saying the head is a EJ or the parts are Chinese made, or it's a clone or this or that razor. And its Zamack and chrome and not brass or stainless. I think if we really look carefully at the racks of DE razors in our shave dens almoat all our razors are take-offs on the early Gillettes. And many very fine razors are Zamack and chrome.
    The price point on the Heritage razor is low and as with most things in life you will get what you pay for. If people were expecting Gillette to issue a brass or stainless razor with a leather bound felt lined case we would not be paying $34, but more like $300.

Lets not forget the marketing strategy of Gillette was, and is, focused on selling blades, not razors. Thus the Heritage is not going to be a money maker. This is a bit of marketing -- re-issuing a commerative razor 115 years later. A common marketing strategy. And I give them credit.

I have ordered one. I am looking forward to adding it to my collection of razors. I am especially impressed that the King himself has autographed each box.

20. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I just preordered my Gillette Heritage razor just to see how good or bad a shaver it’ll be. For $35 with free shipping I don’t see it as that bad an investment. I know I said it seemed very lightweight, but I’ve had success with some lightweight razors before.

brit and jaro like this.