Brushmakers Thread - Calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Wow, how big is that? Does your lathe turn outward as well?

Hembree, RyX, 9nein9 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

11 1/4” tall, 7 1/4” base diameter. Not sure of your question on the lathe turning outward. The head on my lathe can swivel 180 degrees, for bowl and plate work, I suppose. I haven’t ever used it in that position. It is not reversible.

I turned this piece between centers, base/bottom on the drive side. My “blank” was to big for my saw, very irregular, very out of balance and neither flat nor square on either end. The bark came off like shrapnel. I dressed the base/bottom close to flat and used a couple scrapers, a bowl gouge, and a little skew chisel work to flatten and dish out the top. At the finish I had spigots about an inch long at each end. Lots of sanding, this deodar is both coarse and a little soft.

Hembree, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Really neat!

- Ken

Hembree, RyX, 9nein9 and 2 others like this.
  4. jtspartan

Well, regardless of how you got there, it still looks really nice, Patrick.

Hembree, 9nein9, brit and 1 other person like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

There was a guy who talked about trees & happy accidents. There are no mistakes. Nice way to repurpose the piece!

Hembree, 9nein9 and brit like this.
  6. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Nice job!

- Ken

Hembree, 9nein9 and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

very cool Patrick..

Hembree and 9nein9 like this.
  8. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

A) looks great!
    B) Thanks for the counterweight/flip idea. I have a decent looking ‘canceled’ handle that will get that treatment tomorrow.

9. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I wanted a longer brush handle, so I based this profile on old time chisel and screwdriver handles. Turning it on the I-X collet I could stop the lathe and test the fit to my hand until it was just right.

Woodpile cherry blank, ‘walnut’ danish oil finish to match with the horsehair knot.
    F059BC65-ABEB-4D38-B6F0-41B6676C28EC.jpeg

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's just a kit razor. You can get the same thing in a three piece razor design. The parts are not very expensive.

Hembree, brit, 9nein9 and 1 other person like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yes. Sometimes it comes with squared off pre-bored wood blanks too.

12. jtspartan

You can get them from a few different places in Canada I’ve seen, Patrick. Various levels of quality as well. Lee Valley had the kits, but am not sure they still do. You will probably need a specialized mandrel and bushing set, similar to one for turning pens.
    William Wood Write is another Canadian website that sells lots of turning kits and blanks. They might have them too.

Hembree, kjbarth, 9nein9 and 2 others like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

Jason's brush with an omega 10098 boar knot i fitted this afternoon.stunning brush sir and thank you.. 20191102_141818.jpg

14. jtspartan

Great choice on the boar, Gary!

15. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jason.it set perfect depth.same as in the original handle..very happy.test drive in the morning..:)..

Hembree, 9nein9 and kjbarth like this.
  16. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Currently working on these three. I will definitely have to check out every page of this thread when I get some time.

[​IMG]

17. jtspartan

Very cool! Some unique designs for sure. Looks like a few different chucks/holding techniques as well. We'd love to hear about your processes.

9nein9, kjbarth, brit and 1 other person like this.
  18. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I start with the blank in a 4 jaw chuck and drill the hole with a forstner bit and Jacob's chuck in the tailstock. I then do some rough shaping. Next I usually part off and mount on a mandrel. Next I use a live center to support the end and finalize the shape and then clean up the bottom.
    Next I get really irritated try to get a perfect CA finish. This usually leads to sanding to bare wood and starting the finish back from bare wood. CA and I have an on again off again love hate relationship. It's complicated.:rofl:
    I think it's the conditions in my basement. Sometimes the finish gets cloudy which I think is a temperature and humidity issue.
    But when you get it right it's a fantastic finish.

kjbarth, Tanuki, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  19. jtspartan

I get it...I’ve only recently started finishing with CA glue. Have won some, have lost some.

kjbarth, 9nein9 and GAW9576 like this.
  20. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Three way tie for first place!

RyX, kjbarth, 9nein9 and 1 other person like this.