-Vintage-Gillette-Shave-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

18/10/19 --38-40 sheraton/platinum/simpson special/MWF/clubman.. 20191017_110658_edited_edited.jpg

Somnos, preidy, totjoe and 8 others like this.
  2. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

What I think I've got here
    1930's New Long Comb Ball End?
    Gillette Silver Blue blade (1)
    Semogue 830 brush
    Long Rifle Soap Co Hunting Lodge Soap
    Witch Hazel with Tea Tree Oil
    Bulldog moisturizer
    Clubman
    I'm not gonna lie here. I was expecting a more aggressive shave with this razor just by looking at the blade and comb and I had my Slim standing by just in case. So wasn't the case. I'm thinking this was less aggressive than the Slim set on 7 or 8. I think the Slim and Fat Boy better step up their game or a new favorite may be moving to the top of the pile.

Attached Files:

preidy, Tanuki, kjbarth and 4 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

very cool.its and early(no reissue or pat #s) long comb ball end .could be from a federal set or a few others.very cool..also has the small opening where the handle meets the baseplate.

4. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

On the ball end of the handle, it says something patten pending 1920 or some such and something else under that. It's too faint for me to read without a glass. And the handle has a crack on each end but they are small enough that both ends are still tight. I kinda dig it and it's my first open comb shave.

kjbarth and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

very cool razor.. 20191017_194725.jpg 20191017_194745.jpg
    mine is the 1930 new federal set.same cracked handle which is common.i epoxied mine..nice shaver..

Somnos, Jim99, preidy and 5 others like this.
  6. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Gillette Fatboy / Wilkinson Sword [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Somnos, Jim99, Primotenore and 7 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

cool shave Stuart..

8. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Way vintage...

I shaved with my mom’s father’s late 1920s Old Type as my daily driver for decades. Very humble, basic Gillette. Yesterday I finally pulled the trigger on something older, but more upscale. It came in a shiny, unembellished gold case with 9 wrapped Blue Blades and two open Blues resting in the head. So today I went close to full vintage (modern Williams Mug and Palmolive cream), right down to the blades.

Safety first:
    D6FC1E82-0125-49F0-90F0-58C5B32758D2.jpeg
    So I shaved pass 1 with the sterilized open blades. The older, thicker blade had date code E3. The thinner blade with dispensing arrows was coded E2. For pass 2 I unwrapped another thick blade coded E3. Nice wrapping job, Gillette worker!

Bullet points:
    Gillette 1914 Pocket Edition gold shell
    Gillette Blue Blades - two older E3s, one newer (Super Blue Blade) E2
    Palmolive menthol cream face lathered
    modern Williams Mug lathered on the puck
    Ever-Ready boar with original knot, price-coded to $3
    pottery Old Spice mug
    alum and homebrew alcohol based AS in an ‘heirloom’ 4711 bottle
    tools belonged to my wife’s grandad, I don’t know his razor choices
    upload_2019-10-18_10-44-31.jpeg
    The open blades did not tug at all (thank you, careful lathering) and definitely cut some stubble. The newly unwrapped blade took the cheeks to DFS, but left the neck at “socially acceptable”. I did not push it. After the alum tightened things up, it felt like CCS. Just a minor sting from the alum and AS. This was my first use of vintage blades. I was surprised by how smoothly it went. And that stubble was mowed down!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Somnos, Jim99, preidy and 6 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

awesome old school shave and pics sir..lovely razor..and welcome..:)

preidy and Tanuki like this.
  10. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I don’t generally care much about TTOs, and I hunt only in the wild (and on the forums). But...

The Senator and Sheraton are on my Gillette short list! Yours look really nice.

BigD, ilts and brit like this.
  11. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

This is a great thread. :happy088: I use my vintage Gillettes frequently and plan to get those shaves posted here.

BigD and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

thank you..they are fine shavers..most of my tto's are brit rockets and related..

13. brit

brit in a box

sounds fantastic..thank you..looking forward to seeing them..:)

14. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I enjoy the background items as much as the shavy bits in your photos @brit .

Is that a 2CV?

brit likes this.
  15. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Mild thread hijack. I went back to look for the 2CV, raised another question.

There is some Pinaud Whiskey Woods in there. Any thoughts to share about it?

I just noticed that Pinaud has several boozy AS. It ties into my tendency to turn airline booze into AS:
    A4533CFB-8247-4A24-AFF6-E4390C70F6C1.jpeg

I was thinking I:
    1 should try the Whisky Woods (as AS, not on the rocks)
    2 could spare a shot of Laphroaig to make a little AS

Somnos, Rev579, BigD and 3 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jon..it may be a likeness to one.its an old key rack i had at my auto shop a few years back..

BlueShaver likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

pleasant ,modern, masculine,light boozy scent..i like pinaud aftershaves but this one i can wear outside the house and at work without getting the eyebrow look..nice for cooler weather..

kjbarth likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

19/10/19 --1935 brit belmont new deluxe/platinum/razorock -400 synthetic/xxx duro soap/xxx splash.. 20191019_054635_edited_edited.jpg

Somnos, Tanuki, ilts and 4 others like this.
  19. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Gillette Super speed /Gillette silver blue [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Somnos, Tanuki, ilts and 4 others like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

very cool Stuart..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.