Unscrupulous Ebay Sellers/Buyers

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Typical scammer response, you know what they’re doing, they know what they’re doing, they’re gaslighting.

2. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Sure, but "We" ought to be better than the typical eBay scammer if we are participants here and on the other shaving forums. It's actually stuff like that which leads me to make PM offers more than listing razors in the various classifieds. I'm not a huge fan of Ticks.

Keithmax and brit like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

For basic shipping, in a padded envelope, he was off. It's inexpensive that way. Boxed is higher.

4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

As experienced as some of you are I am surprised a bad seller stands a chance.

5. DaltonGang

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

brit likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

brit likes this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That’s funny! Of course it has major issues.

DaltonGang likes this.
  8. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bengalia-B...642922?hash=item43face73ea:g:jYIAAOSwImRYT2oL

Here's a different one of those, I think.
    Only someone with a pure heart is able to actually see the razor.
    There's a photo of the box.
    The description says:

Item description
    It's that simple. If factory sealed, the item must remain sealed.

What's beautiful about that tautological description,
    is that whether or not the item being sold is factory sealed,
    is irrelevant to the truth of the description.

If your heart is pure, you can click the

See full item description

button, and actually see a single picture of what the razor looks like when it's closed.

Edison Carter, brit and DaltonGang like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Edison Carter, brit and Steve56 like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Nice try!!

Steve56 likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

:happy102:

brit likes this.
  12. Chuck Naill

I tend look for razors and lately Esterbrook fountain pens from estate sales. If the seller has dozens of razors/pens for sale, I don't bother submitting a bid unless the item is clearly in original condition. As a result, I have never been close to getting fooled.

The buyer who is looking for a '34 British Gillette Aristocrat in the original case for $10 is a likely prey. These buyers come back to the forum bragging only to learn its the wrong case or the wrong scales, or the blades warping was not visible because of the slick clean up from the seller.

I've said for some time that the day is coming when finding an original, untouched vintage razor will be next to impossible on eBay.

brit, Steve56 and Edison Carter like this.
  13. DaltonGang

Maybe, but not for a while. Definitely, not while some of us start kicking the bucket, and our wives start dumping our collections on eBay.

Steve56, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Another Ebay seller got a negative feedback, by me.
    I won an auction for three NOS scales, for $30. It was a good deal, but after the PayPal transaction was verified, on his part, he sent a message saying this auction was for only one of the scales. I reminded him that nowhere did he say that in the auction, in any way, and reminded him that I am an Honest buyer, and hoped he was an Honest seller. He stated it was his mistake, and was shipping them. Later, he wrote that he refunded my money, because it was an honest mistake. Suffice it to say, he never honored the sale, and he was rewarded with a negative feedback. I guess he expected more money from competing bidders. I somewhat expected shenanigans, because he only had one feedback, as a seller.

15. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Everyone has to start at 0 sales on eBay. It's difficult to build up a good rating from scratch when many buyers, myself included, have a policy of not buying from a seller with few positive feedbacks. Your experience just reinforces my view.

Spyder, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

54F25F9D-D4CB-44DF-8F6B-83F2039F7A81.jpeg

That day isn’t here yet, I rolled the dice on a 5/8-11/16 E. A. Berg with not-so-great images. The dark steel could be corroded or just shiny but not reflecting light. The scales were curious, in very good condition and no collars on the pins though clearly not a natural material. The seller was a country store of some kind, so not your typical razor scammer I thought, and decided to gamble.

Here’s what I got, a NOS razor with no hone wear at all, no corrosion (one tiny spot on the tang just ahead of the fish), and the scales appear new also, they’re Ebonite/hard rubber. I was surprised that it was clearly new or indistinguishable from new. But yet it is. The stamps date it between 1891 and 1914.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    M14Shooter, PLANofMAN, brit and 5 others like this.
  17. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Nice find, Steve.

brit and Steve56 like this.
  18. Chuck Naill

congratulations brother :):bounce017:

I’ve got a JOHN Holler with the same scales and pristine condition. Do the scales reek of old tires?

19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yep, they sure do, especially when you rub them a little. Post an image of the Holler scales, I’d like to see them.

brit likes this.
  20. Chuck Naill

Okay, as soon as I get home, Steve. ;)