Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jaro, Oct 16, 2019.

1. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Not going to lie. I ordered one. I'll probably use it once until I use up a Gillette Silver Blue. Then I'll put it away and put it next to my other Vintage Razors on the shelf for display.

2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

It's ironic a new retro Gillette would get any interest here among shaving hobbyists at all. We have at the click of a mouse button the finest razor blade holders ever produced. Reminds me of the ads in the late 1930's when the Sheraton models were introduced or the '58 ads for the GEM Push Button model.

I now use 100 year old plus straight razors for a full face shave daily. Once you learn to hone and maintain, the rest is technique. Isn't this just as true for you all that use vintage DE or SE blade holders? You know how to shave and shave well. I would think a new retro Gillette would be of no interest.

As to Gillette "disposing" anyone. That's just trolling fodder. If respecting others is out of style, I'll remain firmly entrenched in a different camp.

3. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Just Ordered Mine.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Angelo85 and brit like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m considering placing an order. It’s not because I need another razor, but just because I’m intrigued by it. We’ll see.

brit and cliffb599 like this.
  5. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

King was a business man who put considerable effort into gaining a competitive advantage which is mostly about staying ahead of market trends.

A new Gillette branded razor is exciting because it shows that the giant is acknowledging that DE is making a comeback. They wouldn't produce it if they didn't think it will sell. Eventually, maybe DE blades will be available in grocery stores again and I won't have to mail blades to the hotel when I travel.

I think you gain enjoyment from nostalgia and feeling apart from the main stream. Too many people spoils the party.

King Gillette would not have catered to you. He was all about winning over the masses.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not really . When King sold his majority interest in Gillette in 1910 and moved to California his razors were selling exclusively at $5, a price point the masses were not able to afford by any stretch. (True King argued for a lower price point with his investors but not one affordable to the working man). WW1 and catch up decision making after 1920 making afterward did get the razors into more hands via the Old Type but the New was the first razor designed for the masses (ie a $1 price point) and King G was not driving Gillette at that point in time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  7. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

From online journals, I agree DE shaving is making a comeback. However, I see more men taking up the practice of the Brits in shaving less often.

There is also the appeal of not filling the landfills up with plastic which makes safety and straight razors popular.

brit likes this.
  8. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I'm one of those who has no intention of buying this razor. It's not so much that I'm not interested. It's just that I have no interest in a razor whose head is one that I already have in my den, whose handle is a reproduction of a handle that Gillette made in large numbers and both made from metal that will have a very limited lifespan if used regularly. Once you've accumulated more than 30 razors, the razors you do buy are going to either offer a different shaving experience to what you already have or made of a material that will last a lifetime. I have zamak razors and have no interest in any more. The last razor I bought was a RazoRock GameChanger Open Comb. And it may actually be the last razor I ever buy. The only razor I have on my list is vintage Gillette Old Type Bulldog. If Gillette were to come out with a new version of that razor that is true to it's roots and made of quality materials like brass or stainless or titanium, I'd be a buyer. Otherwise, not buying.

Redfisher, Chuck Naill, brit and 2 others like this.
  9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Pretty much says it all.

MntnMan62 and brit like this.
  10. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I think that gillette realizes there will be a big push to go green, and with that in mind they don't want to be late to the party, DE razors are picking up steam but the whole shaving market is down right now because beards are so popular, I think they also saw that the new wilkinsons sword razor was actually very popular, but with the push to go green companies making plastic razors are going to loose even more business and the idea is probably something like gillette is a brand you know and trust, so why not buy this new gillette safety razor. If this razor sells well we will probably see more. A lot of the beard guys are the ones seeking retro styles, when beards fall out of popularity gillette will be there to offer them this new retro razor, most people in the general population cringe at buying a used vintage razor.

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Had Gillette made the razor out of brass and plated using a true vintage design the cost would have been even higher. Then everyone on the shaving forums would have complained that the razor cost too much and vintage razors were cheaper. It will take time and a lot of money to make the tooling to mass produce DE razors. Gillette will not invest this amount of money until they are assured of a return on investment.

jaro, brit, Angelo85 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced of that conclusion. It could have reached $50 with a true heritage or traditional head like the NEW DeLuxe(cheaper to make than the LC or SC) and they would have likely been stuck with a back-order waiting list.

cliffb599 and MntnMan62 like this.
  13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I think a little differently on this one.
    I think it’s pretty cool they brought back an iconic case and a great handle. It is very apparent they are partnering with EJ as they already make a successful modern top cap and baseplate.
    If they recast one of their well known designs (Tech, NEW etc) in Brass or Stainless and charged the same as Razorock for it, everyone would be upset and say they got the same razor for $10 on the ‘bay.
    I also don’t believe we are the target audience. Most of us on here have multiple vintage Gillettes. The Art Of Shaving crowd is more likely the target. Hey, as long as producing a new DE means Gillette will keep producing awesome blades in St Petersburg, I’m all for it!

clint64, Droo78, brit and 3 others like this.
  14. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

If they came out with a new New Deluxe, I'd be a buyer since the New Deluxe is one of my favorite razors Gillette ever made. But I'm not holding my breath. I'd say the chances Gillette remakes a modern version of the New Deluxe are less than slim to none.

clint64, brit and cliffb599 like this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The fact that Gillette is even marketing this is really interesting. They recognize that there’s a market for DEs, and that there is value in their past designs. It might be for AoS customers, but how many of them would care ore recognize the significance of the handle and case?

clint64, cliffb599, Rev579 and 2 others like this.
  16. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Guys, we are not the target market for this razor. This appears to me as a Gillette incursion into the mass market and they are going after people who aren't on shaving boards/forums. It doesn't look like a bad razor and will probably shave just fine.

And why all the negativity? Let the others in the world learn what we all ready know. DE shaving is superior to cartridges.

Shaver X, jtspartan, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  17. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

What is a Goodwill Angel, please?

clint64, cliffb599 and brit like this.
  18. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Well said. I’d hazard a guess that almost every wet shaver has at least one or two chrome plated zinc alloy razors in their den.

19. brit

brit in a box

i do think its cool they are finally making a razor again as they still make the blades..i will get one even if i use vintage heads with it.anything that ensures de blade production is good.we may even see gillette blades here on the shelves again..i would buy spoiler quality blades here even if they are pricey..one never knows what the future holds..

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    clint64 and cliffb599 like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

british goodwill empire set..