Murphy and McNeil Shaving Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Hembree, Jan 14, 2019.

1. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Has anybody tried the new Aon base yet?

I have a sample on the way

brit likes this.
  2. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

I just ordered a few of m&m soaps. Has anyone tried the bear fat version im wondering about the scent profile. Ive read that its a take on creed. I hope its not another uninspired clone. I also dont luke how they charge $3 for 1 g of added menthol in aftershave. But i guess they have to cover that free shipping somehow. Very interested to give their soap a try.

brit likes this.

3. Hi Rhody, if you’d like to contact me (bill@murphyandmcneil.com) I can see if I can get you a small sample.

Scent is so subjective, and this one is funny because for some folks it comes across as a fresh cologne (hence the Creed comparisons, but it is not), others get more of the outdoorsy notes.

For the menthol feedback, it’s appreciated. Consider that I custom mix to order menthol options for all of our splashes when requested. I’m not sure if many other artisans do that, but in my world, it’s quite a bit more time to do than just pulling a previously made bottle off a shelf and packing it. I like offering options (alcohol/alcohol free/various menthol amounts) for our customers, even though it admittedly makes it a bulky process.

Do I realize anyone can purchase a jar of menthol crystals and mix their own? Absolutely. But in this case please consider the time beyond just materials.

For small artisans doing this mostly for fun, time is the most scarce of all the resources we have... and I do attach at least some value to it. (And further feel it’s perfectly reasonable to do so.)

If the added $2-3 (depending on amount) is too much, we offer AS plain with no added menthol (or time for me) as well! Options.

Hope that makes sense. Don’t hesitate to ping me and we’ll figure out a way to get you something to judge if you like the scent!
    -B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Thanks. I might take you up on that. I appreciate the reply and understand about options and time. Not faulting you at all ....i think when i ordered it was free shipping so all in all its a good value. So that was/is a minor point especially in the grant scheme.
    Scents are so subjective and working my way thru the site description is tough for me because im not that familiar with some of these popular edt scents people are cloning. I know creed because its so popular. I have higher hopes for your bear version in that it might be earthy etc. I did lather up and wash a new brush with one of your soaps tonight. Ill use it tomorrow. It seemed very slick. Im waiting for the bear soap to be back in stock. Or i might order something else. I appreciate your reply here and im excited to dive into a new / to me / artisan. Cheers.

M14Shooter and brit like this.
  5. You bet! I’ve got a couple sets left of Nantahala but unfortunately the standalone soaps are tapped for the time being. If you’re into earthy scents, give “Cliffs of Moher,” “Magh Tured,” “Ogham Stone,” and finally “Cat Sidhe” a look.

Cliffs and Ogham are probably the most earthy... and Cat Sidhe is heavy on Neroli but to many comes across as a fresh walk in the woods kind of deal.

All that said, all our samples ship free and will be good for at least a few shaved to give you a good feel for things! Appreciate it!
    -B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  6. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

thanks for the reply and the additional recommendations
    I will probably place another order soon for additional flavors.

7. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

I am looking at green man .... any more details on this one?

8. ghostlife

I just had my first shave with a sample of the Green Man soap this morning, here are my thoughts:

Comes out of the sample packet a bit sticky and soft, but exposed to air for a day it firmed up to about the consistency of Arko (I put mine on top of a shave stick to face lather with).

I used a Plissoft brush, for a lazy 1.5 pass shave with my super-adjustable on 4, crystal blade near the end of its life.

I wasn't keen on the scent off the soap, but once lathered it opens up quite nice - The citrus on top is definitely noticeable while lathering. I mostly notice that, the lavender, and the rosewood. Compared to the other fougeres I own, this one is more like a clean modern take on the fragrance, with a definite atypical woody element.

I finished off with Chatillon Lux TSM Fougere which isn't a great match, but the soap itself is pretty mildly scented & the two don't fight.

The shave itself - I find this soap (Aon firm base) to have good latherability, great slickness and water handling (by this I mean both that it had no problem with my hard water, and that it seems to accept a broad range of water - aka "easy to dial in"). Not a highly cushioning soap, which isn't a deal breaker at all to me.

Overall I recommend it, especially if you live in the USA and get free shipping - but even the shipping to Canada was quite reasonable (falls between Maggards and everybody else cost-wise)

Ultimately I bought it to find out if I wanted to get the Green Man aftershave, which Top of the Chain sells, and am still undecided.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    brit likes this.
  9. ghostlife

Note that I also tried the Cliffs of Moher soap earlier this week (this one I flattened in a mug), and I wasn't a fan of the scent at all - from the description I thought it would be the same school as Talbot/Maol Chittenango Creek, but to me it mostly smells like... field peas on a farm

10. Danny A Al-batal

Danny A Al-batal New Member

I've been on a bit of a soap purchasing kick lately, and I've acquired several B&M excelsior base soaps, some A&E manteca base soaps, WK water buffalo, DG milksteak and Murphy and McNeil kodiak and slainte bases. I would put the two Murphy and Mcneil soaps on top as far as post shave feel. Of course, this is subjective and YMMV. I am still awating a couple pucks of GD Aion and Lusso, but I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy and Mcneil holds its own. Also really love the 5.5oz puck size. With all the offerings out there, it certainly is a great time to be a wet shaver

Tdmsu, brit and Rhody like this.
  11. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Threads like this always cost me money. I have seen M&M soaps but never purchased one. Because of the reviews and great attitude of the owner, I just ordered Trinity. Can't wait to shave with it.

Tdmsu and brit like this.
  12. Todd Pedlar

Todd Pedlar Well-Known Member

One more very positive review for these soaps! I just lathered up my first Murphy & McNeil (Claddagh) today, and am extremely satisfied with the performance. While the soap takes quite a bit of water, if you patiently build your lather, adding water bit by bit, once you hit the sweet spot it's a truly first-class performer. Slick and smooth - very yogurty, protective lather, and one that leaves the face feeling wonderfully smooth afterward. The scent is a beautifully fresh, autumnal blend of (as I detect it) bergamot and woody notes. Just lovely! Claddagh.jpg

13. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I agree on Claddagh. It is top notch.

brit and Murphy and McNeil like this.
  14. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

I’m a big fan of M&M and find Bill a great guy to deal with.

15. brit

brit in a box

fine shave Todd.

16. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I actually had my first shave with Trinity last night. I kept in mind everything I have read about it being able to handle lots of water added gradually. I face lather and just kept adding water. Once the lather was "yogarty" it delivered a fantastic shave. Since it usually takes me more than one attempt to really dial a soap in, I'm sure it will only get better. This won't be my last M&M soap!

17. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound