multiblade disposable or system razor

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by haroldwashington, Oct 27, 2019.

1. would it be a good idea to use proraso or baume shave cream or other of their products but using it with a modern disposable or system multiblade razor like from gillette, schick, bic, or some other brand instead of merkur? would anyone happen to know if this would be a good idea or not? rsvp.

Shaver X and RyX like this.
  2. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Most folks here at TSD prefer Double Edge razors like the old fashioned Gillettes or a modern equivalent, or a Single edge like Schicks or the newer types in that style, or straight razors or their replaceable blade decedents - the shavette.

For in depth discussion of cartridge razors you might look in the Cartridge Razor forums --> HERE.

Edison Carter and MrDaniel's like this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Quality shaving cream made a world of difference when I was using a Gillette Trac II. The only reasons I switched to a safety razor was they look way cool and replacement blades cost far less.

Have you ever tried Cremo or Kiss My Face? If you are located in the United States, both are widely sold.

RyX and MrDaniel's like this.
  5. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Not the most modern disposable out there, but i hope my todays SOTD-pic answers some questions
    DSC_0589.JPG The razor felt a bit dull, but i ended up with a close shave, without any irritation. That said, i can get better results with a DE, with less work.

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I get great shaves with those @MrDaniel's. Great pic and way to be bold and post a cheap plastic jobber in a SOTD! It's like blasphemy. I like it!

I usually don't pack a razor when I travel so I get what I get from the hotel front desk and it is usually one of those or a non-pivoting head twin type disposable.

RyX, Shaver X and MrDaniel's like this.
  7. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Thanks! Had to revisit them out of curiosity.

RyX likes this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

This is the only disposable that gave me near BBS shaves without much effort..........

913gvDKQJcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

RyX and Shaver X like this.
  9. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Now that i have sobered up somewhat...

I think your question is:
    "Is it a good idea to use traditional shaving soaps and creams with cartridge razors?"

Yes. In fact probably a better idea than using goop which i would imagine is harder to rinse than a proper lather. Also, a proper lather hydrates better than goop and this is what makes the shave more comfortable.

Imho obv ymmv.

Shaver X and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It definitely won't hurt to try. At worst, you'll have a tough time rinsing and clearing the blades. But, I think that would be only with a small number of products. Times that I've been in a rush, I've had no problem using shaving soap with a cart razor. Similarly, you can easily use shaving foam with a DE or SE.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I use shave soap with a cart rather often and it works fine.

I've found that with good technique you get a really good shave with a cart. They are super simple to use so you get a passable shave easily enough but once you've honed your skill using DE razors, getting a super close, near BBS out of a cart is a breeze.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Great first step to traditional wet shaving. Let us know how you like using shave soap.

13. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

I used traditional soaps almost from my first shave. I used trac2's, mach 3's and several other multi blade razors over the years. I always got better shaves with traditional soap or cream and a brush than from aerosols.

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good prep is good prep. No matter what razor you use, a good soap will be more enjoyable and better for your skin.

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Porazo tends towards the thicker/paste like lather, and is one of the few soaps I would not recommend for more than a two-bladed cartridge.

It will work...but it might clog the razor way more than you expect.

16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've also had cloggage problems with some of the brushless tubes you can buy at natural groceries and vitamin places.

PLANofMAN likes this.