October 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2019.

?

And your OCtober plans include..........?

1. Using some great Open Comb razors and the Mighty Fat every Monday/Wednesday/Friday!

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Using some great Open Comb razors but no Fat. Something else on that end.

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Open Combs and the Fat on Tuesday/Thursday - just to be difficult.

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Still gonna shave with straights!

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Whatever I choose because I just roll that way!

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  6. Trick or Treating for cookies and ice cream!!

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Thanks Joe

- Ken

2. kjbarth

Thanks Gary

- Ken

3. kjbarth

Thanks Clint

- Ken

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  4. kjbarth

Thank you

- Ken

5. kjbarth

Thank you

- Ken

6. brit

brit in a box

fine shave Jason..

7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Joe!
    The little ones didn't go, just me and my 7 yo grandson. It was cold, windy, rainy and we were dressed for it and had a blast. His dad isn't around much so I've been Pappy or Pap, as he calls me now, his whole life. Most gave up on the night, so we got the beggars share of the goodies. The others went to eat and shop, but we had the most fun.
    tp

8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy036: Rick @RyX
    Fantastic!
    tp

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Clint
    We had a blast, and lots of candy!
    tp

10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Jim!
    tp

11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Perry!
    tp

12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Sounds like things are turning around for you!
    That's nice!
    tp

13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Andrew!
    tp

Norcalnewb, clint64, 9nein9 and 3 others like this.
  14. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Clint
    tp

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

OCtober with the FAT

October 31

Razor -1918 Gillette Old Type
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Stirling Port-Au-Prince
    Brush -Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum

Well, that month certainly sped by! Here we are with just a few hours left and my final shave for the month is done. Stayed with the Old Type and Sharp Star. Finishing on a Thursday so Port-Au-Prince for the mutton tallow goodness along with the Wolf Whiskers Silvertip. Great lather and awesome feel and three error free passes for a perfect ending to a great month with the open combs. Looking forward to NOVember and moving that much closer to the end of the year.

Ok. One last item of business. The Mitchell's weigh in. I started the month with 303 grams of soap (counting the bowl without lid). I finished the month with 291 grams as weighed today. That's a total of 12 grams used. I used the Fat 14 times in the month of October. So, the use per shave is 0.86 grams. That's not much when you think about it. I always had more than enough lather for three passes and in most cases could have gone another pass easily.

Looking at the size of a Mitchell's puck, they are 125 grams, or 4.4 ounces. Using 0.86 grams each shave means a puck would last 145 shaves. With the current cost of a puck at $15.49 (Amazon) that comes out to $0.106, or 11 cents per shave. That, of course, is only for the soap. If you buy the bowl as well you're in for about $35 total, but that's a one time cost that I'm not including. 11 cents isn't much to pay for the quality of MWF, in my humble opinion anyway. If you used only MWF during the month you would have spent $3.41 for soap.

Hope you have a great Friday! See you all in a month. Oh wait, that's at midnight!!

October 31 2019.jpg

16. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Fine shave and an interesting read, Neal!

Linuxguile, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oh, cool Perry! I have a method named after me! I kind of made sense at the time, and I'll do it again. I too have been tempted to try a shave just using the Stirling PSS. The glycerin based soaps don't have everything going for them, but they seem to offer a better additional step than PS oils.
    Thank you Andrew!
    Thanks Patrick! Let me know if you'd like to try some pecan, live oak, or cypress. Might have some Japanese plum & magnolia soon. The grandkids may have damaged a camellia in my front yard. If I croaks, I'll set some thick branches to drying.
    I'm with you there. I carry 1/4 & 3/8 socket sets, plus enough screw drivers, open end, etc to do general repairs. The box got too heavy so I sorted 1/2" drive sockets and larger tools into another kit. All the specialty tool like plumbing, carpentry, painting each got their own boxes as well. This was my daughter in a little Chevy she's borrowing from my dad since her Chrysler conked out.
    I've been introducing my grandkids to Classic Rock by bluetooth from my phone using Youtube on the TV/cable box, or in the vehicles. They taught me how to do the phone search and 'cast to the other devices. I pick the tunes.
    Here's the one you wanted Paul!

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Gary!
    It's a fatty acids and minerals problem. Soaps grab calcium and magnesium ions out of hard water. Vinegar (or other mild acidic liquids like lemon juice) and baking soda will strip it off quickly. Joe @Trigger might offer a more detailed, easily comprehended explanation. I just give my gear a Dawn dish liquid/toothbrush scrub when I see residue.

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks Terry!

20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Ribs or brisket?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.