Should I embark on the first lap or get stoned

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Danny Soz, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Danny Soz

Danny Soz Active Member

Afternoon guys (well it is here in London)

Now here's the deal. My new Dovo SR is currently being put to rights by the gentlemen at The Invisible Edge in Dorset, which is in the south of Limey Land.

Now, when it comes back with an edge as sharp as my old woman's tongue, I would kinda like to keep it that way.

So, my question to you gentlemen is this: Do I invest in a stone or go for the lapping film option?

I've sourced a fairly cheap Chinese 12k job from the aforementioned company. Here's a link:

https://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/razor-sharpening/honing-stones/chinese-waterstone-12000-grit

As you can see, it's not top-of-the-range and could be problematic to use with regard to its hardness, the necessity to lap the surface (a concept I don't have the first idea about) etc.

While the stone would be a permanent commodity once purchased, I find myself drawn towards the lapping film option which Chuck Naills (sp?) was kind enough to steer me towards in an earlier thread.

What do you say fellas?

Help a poor limey shmuck out here fer Chrissakes! :D

Edison Carter, Keithmax and brit like this.
  2. Danny Soz

Danny Soz Active Member

Also, how come my thread titles don't come up in bold type like the rest of you guys do? It's because I'm English ain't it? It's ok I can take it! :sad024:

Keithmax and brit like this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    We call those a PHIG for People's Hone of Indeterminate Grit

Here is the thing, there is no such thing as "Grit Ratings" for natural stones, they are plenty of WAGs (Wild Ass Guess's) and the higher they are the more WAG they become :)

I have had one of the Guangxi Naturals (Real Name) for many years and without a doubt, they work, some are Meh and some are Wow as with ALL natural stones there are few guarantees and some variation. Most all will put a nice face friendly edge on a razor if you do your part.

If you are just going to "Re-Fresh" your razors then yes go for it, it will do that and perhaps a bit more with skill as you develop it.

Films also work fine, I have a set of them also, but in my world they get little use, I would say if you want to dip your toe into trying Honing and not just Refreshing it is a cheap way to try it .

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Threads you post will not be in bold type because you've already 'viewed' it. It still shows up as bold for everyone else.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you're a bleeding royalist with a semi-functional government and an antique monarchy. I'd point to the obvious superiority of the American Representative government system, except, well... Trump and partisan politics. Maybe it's time to resurrect the Whig party here. Can't see an American Tory party getting any traction. (But I bet President Trump would love to be King Trump).

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:scared003:

Danny Soz and brit like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    My original post in this thread, after reading the thread title, was going to be, "depends on your lung capacity." :p

Edison Carter, Danny Soz and brit like this.
  7. Danny Soz

Danny Soz Active Member

Thanks mate. I appreciate your time and expertise.

Looks like the PHIG could be the way forward for this limey sumbitch :D

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Shouldn't talk about yourself like that. It could always be worse. After all, you could have been born an American. :p

9. Danny Soz

Danny Soz Active Member

At the risk of getting my ear chewed by the mods for politicising this thread, I have to agree with your analysis of Donny's royal aspirations. I once wrote a piece to that effect for an American magazine (I'm a satirist) that did really well in terms of hits. I'm still waiting for the cheque mind. Just like you're waiting to see the POTUS' tax return :)

10. Danny Soz

Danny Soz Active Member

:D

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

yes it could be worse..our leader is a stunner as well..;)

Danny Soz likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Nah...waiting to see "Zero Bark Thirty: Baghdadi." New and improved plot, with woman writing on glass for two hours, followed by a 10 minute raid, but now with doggos! Special voiceover track featuring President Trump will include vivid descriptions of Baghdadi "screaming, crying and whimpering," and other Trumpisms.

But he's marginally less goofy looking and doesn't put his foot in his mouth nearly as often.

Keithmax, Danny Soz and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

fair enough..he is the king of selfies..:D

Danny Soz and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. Danny Soz

Danny Soz Active Member

Gentlemen, let's just say that I wouldn't want to be trapped in a golden lift with either of 'em. :)

brit likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

I love America.. Best country in the world.

16. DaltonGang

Does this mean we are going to get a politics section?

17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I would start with a pasted strop, I use CrOx. I find synthetic stones much easier to use, either a Naniwa 12k or Shapton glass 16k. Film is a cheaper route and it works too.

Edison Carter, Danny Soz and brit like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    We already do. >>> Soapbox

brit likes this.
  19. Danny Soz

Danny Soz Active Member

Hell, I might just try both and see which one wins! :D
    On a serious note, which grade of film should I be using just to touch up the edge when the pasted strop no longer does the job?

gssixgun likes this.
  20. Danny Soz

Danny Soz Active Member

I'm on it. Can I force my religious beliefs down other people's throats in there too? I'm a Catholic btw, and my God can kick your God's pious, mamby-pamby, righteous ass! :angelic007:

Edison Carter likes this.